Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who will you support?

Who will you support?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I didn't emigrate.. so to speak. I went to sing with the job .ie, the company I was working for in Wales (long story) the bloke who owned it... decided to set up in Sing... he offered us to go with him. (where we were for 5 years)... (this got taken oven by an American firm , moved to Aus (could have gone to China next... didn't fancy it... I was fed up living in Asian country)with the job. Basically it was an expat job... good money, why not? We were offered to set up a company here in Aus... one year later... the competition offered better money... so we did a dirty on our company (hell of a long story!!) I'm probably in the minority here on this forum... we moved with the job
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who will you support?

Originally posted by cam the man
Just a thought.

When you finally get there - or are there - when England (or Scotland) play the Aussies at Rugby or football or rugby or for the ashes will you be changing to support the Aussies or Engerland?
Why on earth would migrating alter your allegiance to your place of birth? If anything I have become more patriotic not less since living in NZ. I could not imagine a Kiwi moving to the UK and then deciding to support England over the ABs!!
As for arrogance in relation to supporters, I don't know a more cynical bunch than the English who are perennial losers in major sports. We excel in many events ie rowing, sailing, hockey, triathlon but we hear little about them. Sad. In NZ if a High School pupil won the Long Jump at the Annual Goat Herders Choral Society Sports day in Mongolia it would make the National media and be hailed as the greatest achievement....since the last one, I 'kid' you not. Witness the frenzied reaction to the twins who won 2 gold medals at the recent World Champs. Did you hear about GB's outstanding medal haul? Probably not.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you from Muppet King?

I have always found the English lacking in confidence when it comes to sport especially when compared to the Aussies.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
Where are you from Muppet King?

I have always found the English lacking in confidence when it comes to sport especially when compared to the Aussies.
Sarf Coast my friend and a Seagulls fan to boot! Yes we are a deeply humble nation compared to NZ and OZ! They have no problems shouting from the roof tops but cry foul when the Mother country has the temerity to get excited over a sporting success. Just today I was being berated because Jonny Wilko is well liked, nay revered in England as if that was a bad thing! Apparently the slavish, sychophantic Kiwi attitude to Andrew Mehrtens falls in to a different category! Talk about one eyed!
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:20 am

Go the Eagles. You probably hate me now. I did go and watch Brighton a few years ago (I think it was against Hereford). God knows why they were on the brink of relegation then. One of the best Nationwide games I have seen.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
Go the Eagles. You probably hate me now. I did go and watch Brighton a few years ago (I think it was against Hereford). God knows why they were on the brink of relegation then. One of the best Nationwide games I have seen.
Couldn't get tickets to that game but watched it on teletext! My friends went and had the weekend to end all weekends!I actually quite like Palace.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:32 am

Unusual for a Brighton fan. Not sure of the history but there has been a lot of trouble at the games between the 2 teams. Other than Millwall, Palace games have no trouble.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Anyone that is playing against Australia gets my support. They are shockingly bad sports from the littlest child upwards.

Basically just another indication of their deep seated insecurity about themselves.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:51 am

I sense a consensus about the Aussies attitude to losing, winning and watching us lose.

I feel sorry for the few quiet moderate Aussies, like my wife, who are embarrassed about their fellow country men. I have even heard "I hope you beat Aus as we can get so full of ourselves". I even got my wife supporting England during the World Cup last year.

She wasn't fond of Selhurst Park in the cold rain though. Lets hope England can put enough behind Liechtenstein to catch up with the Turks goal difference.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:32 pm
Badge

Think I may have contributed this one before - on the subject of support, well I will continue to support the English Rugby team as I have "grown up" with the players and the squad - supporting the team not the country.

Could never support England or anyone in soccer other than a passing interest as I don't like watching overgrown schoolboys performing hysterics and going for oscars(!)

I am sports and "keep fit" mad so take this subject quite seriously
:-)

I quite admire the Aussie sporting ethos.
(I think I am in the minority over this). I think sport, and the warrior spirit/ being "fit" is bred out of us now. When I was 22 in a US summer camp I was the only Pom that could match the fitness of the Aussies in our camp. They gave me a lot of respect as a result. I was embarassed at how unfit the Poms were. And they made up for it by singing soccer songs. Whereas the Aussies were universally admired and liked for their sport.

So I can't see this "arrogance" or "inferiority" - the 18-22 yr old Aussie kids wiped the carpet with the Yanks and Poms with their good natured politeness, patience and sporting ability.

People say that aussies never broadcast their losses. Maybe in a way they couldn't give a stuff. It just happens. They seem honest enough with their recent rah-rah losing runs. People say that Aussies broadcast when they win say the Egg and Spoon race - something in the minority etc...well when Eddie the Eagle competed in 1988 etc that was all over the press here - we do the same.

I run 5 miles every other day with a 10-15kg pack. Just because normal running doesn't make much difference. I have to push myself. In the UK people think it strange - in Aussie - it was "Good on ya - you're making an effort".

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Sep 10th 2003 at 12:41 pm.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Think I may have contributed this one before - on the subject of support, well I will continue to support the English Rugby team as I have "grown up" with the players and the squad - supporting the team not the country.

Could never support England or anyone in soccer other than a passing interest as I don't like watching overgrown schoolboys performing hysterics and going for oscars(!)

(I think I am in the minority over this). I think sport, and the warrior spirit/ being "fit" is bred out of us now. When I was 22 in a US summer camp I was the only Pom that could match the fitness of the Aussies in our camp. They gave me a lot of respect as a result. I was embarassed at how unfit the Poms were. And they made up for it by singing soccer songs. Whereas the Aussies were universally admired and liked for their sport.

So I can't see this "arrogance" or "inferiority" - the 18-22 yr old Aussie kids wiped the carpet with the Yanks and Poms with their good natured politeness, patience and sporting ability.

People say that aussies never broadcast their losses. Maybe in a way they couldn't give a stuff. It just happens. They seem honest enough with their recent rah-rah losing runs. People say that Aussies broadcast when they win say the Egg and Spoon race - something in the minority etc...well when Eddie the Eagle competed in 1988 etc that was all over the press here - we do the same.

I run 5 miles every other day with a 10-15kg pack. Just because normal running doesn't make much difference. I have to push myself. In the UK people think it strange - in Aussie - it was "Good on ya - you're making an effort".

badgers
Aussies are still tossers when it comes to sport.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount

badgers

Hand on heart, Badger, I honestly do not recognise the country you are describing. No bull, I really do not.

I find the Ozzies (in general, many individual exceptions as with everything) bad winners and bad losers. If they win, they love to rub it in everyone's face, if they lose they get nasty and you cannot celebrate if it was your team that beat them. Poms are much better winners and losers. The exceptions amongst the poms are the bad losers - the yobs, hooligans, the tossers. The exceptions amongst Ozzies are the good sports.

You may have allowed your own admiration of Ozzies to cloud your judgement here and think that all like their attitude. In my opinion, and in general, Ozzies do not know what "sport" means and treat everything as a test of personal value - they have little else to trumpet I suppose and that may explain it, but the danger will be when there is a turn in their sporting fortunes (and there will be, there always is) - it will ruin their confidence and the fall out will be worse for them than if they had spread their interests and passions around a bit more.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:06 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Amazulu
Aussies are still tossers when it comes to sport.
You a dwarf?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
You a dwarf?
No, but their still tossers, pommie tossers ?.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Mega,
What is your honest opinion of the average Ozzie approach to winning and losing at sports? Good winners and losers, good sports, or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.