British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Who wants to be very kind and ..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/who-wants-very-kind-436494/)

stu:0 Mar 22nd 2007 10:57 am

Who wants to be very kind and .....

write me a small list of the things we need to do as soon as we arrive in oz:thumbsup:

We will be on a 457 visa so i think we get some kind of medicare cover with oh being a nurse. But what else like driving licence that sort of thing.
Thanks
Stu

wintersgills Mar 22nd 2007 10:59 am

Re: Who wants to be very kind and .....

Originally Posted by stu:0 (Post 4546217)
write me a small list of the things we need to do as soon as we arrive in oz:thumbsup:

We will be on a 457 visa so i think we get some kind of medicare cover with oh being a nurse. But what else like driving licence that sort of thing.
Thanks
Stu

pm me your e mail i have a list of things i sent to my mate when he came out somewere in this thing:rofl:

Wendy Mar 22nd 2007 11:02 am

Thanks
Stu

See this post from about half way down

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

stu:0 Mar 22nd 2007 11:02 am

Originally Posted by wintersgills (Post 4546229)
pm me your e mail i have a list of things i sent to my mate when he came out somewere in this thing:rofl:

Very kind of you, pm on its way!:thumbsup:

Stu

Sandra Mar 22nd 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks
Stu

I have not read all the other thread links but just a quick one if it is not mentioned you do not need to do anything with driving licences whilst on a 457. You can drive on a UK one the whole time.

If you pick up an aussie one you could earn demerit point as well as fines. If you move over to a PR at some point you then have three months to convert UK to Aus licence.

Cheers

stu:0 Mar 22nd 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 4548915)
I have not read all the other thread links but just a quick one if it is not mentioned you do not need to do anything with driving licences whilst on a 457. You can drive on a UK one the whole time.

If you pick up an aussie one you could earn demerit point as well as fines. If you move over to a PR at some point you then have three months to convert UK to Aus licence.

Cheers

Thanks for that, we do intend to move to pr so thats nice to know the 3 month thing!

stu

sammyg Mar 22nd 2007 10:07 pm

Nothing to do with you're thread, just being nosey!!
But what a rude avatar you have, i couldn't read your posts without being distracted..:lol:

stu:0 Mar 22nd 2007 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 4548982)
Nothing to do with you're thread, just being nosey!!
But what a rude avatar you have, i couldn't read your posts without being distracted..:lol:

Its been said many times:o :p :rofl:

sammyg Mar 22nd 2007 10:13 pm

:rofl::rofl:

stevemich Mar 22nd 2007 10:19 pm

Cheers

If you are driving on a UK drivers license, then I believe you need to have your passport with you as backup documentation every time you drive.

yanH Mar 22nd 2007 10:21 pm

We are on a 457 but have switched over to a NSW licence for a number of reasons.

1. ID - The Driving Licence seems to be the single most important piece of Id out here. If you don't have one it can make proving who you are tricky. Also pubs and clubs will often ask everyone for Id regardless of how 'mature' your appearance is.

2. Insurance Costs - Apparently your insurance costs are higher if you drive on a foreign licence.

3. Buying a car - If you haven't got a Aussie licence then doing your registration is more tricky.

furkew Mar 22nd 2007 10:36 pm

Hi Stu, not applicable for down under, but more for get it done now before you leave, but if you are on a 457, look at how long your passport is valid, and maybe get it/them renewed.

My wifes passport runs out in 2008, and we have the kids in her passport, so I have just had them renewed here in Holland to save a lot of hassle down under. If you expect to go ENS/PR in 2 years and in 4 years go for Oz citizenship it might be worth organizing in the UK. All you need to do is forward the details of your new passports on the the respective authorities.

just an thought.