Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who wants to be very kind and .....

Who wants to be very kind and .....

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:57 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who wants to be very kind and .....

write me a small list of the things we need to do as soon as we arrive in oz

We will be on a 457 visa so i think we get some kind of medicare cover with oh being a nurse. But what else like driving licence that sort of thing.
Thanks
Stu
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all
Default Re: Who wants to be very kind and .....

Originally Posted by stu:0

We will be on a 457 visa so i think we get some kind of medicare cover with oh being a nurse. But what else like driving licence that sort of thing.
Thanks
Stu
pm me your e mail i have a list of things i sent to my mate when he came out somewere in this thing
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Stu

See this post from about half way down

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:02 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wintersgills
pm me your e mail i have a list of things i sent to my mate when he came out somewere in this thing
Very kind of you, pm on its way!

Stu
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Stu

I have not read all the other thread links but just a quick one if it is not mentioned you do not need to do anything with driving licences whilst on a 457. You can drive on a UK one the whole time.

If you pick up an aussie one you could earn demerit point as well as fines. If you move over to a PR at some point you then have three months to convert UK to Aus licence.

Cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:02 pm
Sparky Stu

Originally Posted by Sandra
I have not read all the other thread links but just a quick one if it is not mentioned you do not need to do anything with driving licences whilst on a 457. You can drive on a UK one the whole time.

If you pick up an aussie one you could earn demerit point as well as fines. If you move over to a PR at some point you then have three months to convert UK to Aus licence.

Cheers
Thanks for that, we do intend to move to pr so thats nice to know the 3 month thing!

stu
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with you're thread, just being nosey!!
But what a rude avatar you have, i couldn't read your posts without being distracted..
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:08 pm
Sparky Stu

Originally Posted by sammyg
Nothing to do with you're thread, just being nosey!!
But what a rude avatar you have, i couldn't read your posts without being distracted..
Its been said many times
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

If you are driving on a UK drivers license, then I believe you need to have your passport with you as backup documentation every time you drive.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We are on a 457 but have switched over to a NSW licence for a number of reasons.

1. ID - The Driving Licence seems to be the single most important piece of Id out here. If you don't have one it can make proving who you are tricky. Also pubs and clubs will often ask everyone for Id regardless of how 'mature' your appearance is.

2. Insurance Costs - Apparently your insurance costs are higher if you drive on a foreign licence.

3. Buying a car - If you haven't got a Aussie licence then doing your registration is more tricky.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:36 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stu, not applicable for down under, but more for get it done now before you leave, but if you are on a 457, look at how long your passport is valid, and maybe get it/them renewed.

My wifes passport runs out in 2008, and we have the kids in her passport, so I have just had them renewed here in Holland to save a lot of hassle down under. If you expect to go ENS/PR in 2 years and in 4 years go for Oz citizenship it might be worth organizing in the UK. All you need to do is forward the details of your new passports on the the respective authorities.

just an thought.