Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who has emigrated to Melbourne ?

View Poll Results: Have you made the right decision in choosing Melbourne ?
Yes
50.00%
Not sure yet
31.25%
No
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Who has emigrated to Melbourne ?

Old Jul 13th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who are you kidding? The healthcare is way better in Oz!

Medicare in Oz - years ago I had keyhole laser surgery in Sydney. No wait, surgeon of my choice, done two weeks later, inpatient treatment free, paid around $25 in total for non-rebatable part of first consultation.

Back in UK saw hospital for a followup. Their eyes widened at mention of laser surgery followed by "You got that treatment? Wow! We don't do that here". No kidding - that's what she said! Felt like I'd just told her fax machines had been invented...

I was told that it was the most effective way to treat the condition but as not many lasers were available on the NHS for minor ops ("they're very expensive you know") they used drug treatment for 2 years instead. Shame about the side effects of facial hair, deeper voice, feeling awful etc.

I have many horror stories about the NHS and public services but the one where I had to walk to hospital in the middle of the night (1.5 hours) because the council hadn't salted the roads (despite weather forecasts of ice) is a bit surreal. No cars, no taxis, no ambulances moving even (our local hospital is on a steep - unsalted - hill). Walked back too after several hours at A&E. That was the night many people slept in their cars on the M11.

A bit of black comedy at A&E though as everyone from the local pub turned up at closing time with matching cuts on the forehead. Apparently one by one they stepped out of the pub, slipped flat on their face on the ice then staggered up to the hospital for stitches...
Old Jul 14th 2003, 9:29 am
Just Joined

DALE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who has emigrated to Melbourne ?

Hi Terry,

Not sure if I have posted to you before?????

I moved out here 7 months ago to marry my girl and settle. Don't be under any illusions, the same issues that are prominent in the UK are here too.

The tax is high I pay 30% here compared to 23%? in Uk ( I am on marginally more money here than Uk). The other big killer especially for my wife and I who will be first time buyers is stamp duty basically this is tax on a bought house for a $300K property approx $20k on top of a deposit, bit of a kick in the guts when I found out.

Having said that the day to day costs food, petrol etc are cheaper, as is eating out (they reckon 1 in 3 meals in melbourne is eaten out) and it can be fairly cheap.

As regards tax, you have to do a tax return at the end of the financial year (June) which I wasn't used too. As regards banks, shop around, pensions are compulsory, 9% of your salary goes to a pensions cheme, which for me is a great idea, and should be implemented in the UK.

There are loads of great places to visit within a couple of hours from here, I went to Halls Gap in the Grampians at easter camping, there are wineries a plenty, Mornington peninsula, ballarat (where I am going next month) loads of sports to watch (but unfortuantely not soccer live only on foxsports.damn!)

The lifestyle is more relaxed I have found and the weather means people get outdoors loads. I have barely missed watching tv, except a little now it is colder, and I used to be a bit of a square eyes. Although I did watch the Bill the other night.

The only things I miss are standard....family and friends, oh and Hollands meat and potato pies...I have even found a British butchers.

As regards work, I work for a recruitment company as a senior consultant in Melbourne and you should find work no problem. get info on all the accountancy recruitment firms in Melbourne email your resume now with cover and follow up for registering when you get here....and then keep in touch. The people who say they don't get work are those who never follow up once they have registered. The onus is on them.

Also try and live in South East suburbs..best spot by a mile.

Dale

Originally posted by terryg
Dear Melbournians !!!

For those of you that have already emigrated to Melbourne can you share with us would-be migrants what’s good and what’s bad in Melbourne and surrounding areas.

What do you like and what don’t you like and what would you have changed about your plans/decisions if you were given another chance?

Are there any migration tips you can offer us on banking/removals/pensions/tax advice/short term rental accommodation/schools/what not to bring, etc, etc

Thank you VERY much in advance for all your help and hope to see some of you soon.

All the best

Terry
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Off to Melbourne in 2003

Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jolyn
Jeannie - where in Melbourne are you living? Glad to hear it's going well for you all and hope to meet you (we arrive in Sept).

Terryg - not long to go now!
Hi again,

We found a house is a new estate (yes I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but we like it) in Berwick. It's got a nice feeling of space about it, and we liked the schools nearby.

We looked at areas nearer the city, but could get alot more house for our money this way.

Would love to meet up when you get here. Hopefully by then, we'll have bought a BBQ and can christen it!!

Best of luck with the move.
Jeannie
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Who has emigrated to Melbourne ?

Originally posted by DALE
Hi Terry,

Not sure if I have posted to you before?????

I moved out here 7 months ago to marry my girl and settle. Don't be under any illusions, the same issues that are prominent in the UK are here too.

The tax is high I pay 30% here compared to 23%? in Uk ( I am on marginally more money here than Uk). The other big killer especially for my wife and I who will be first time buyers is stamp duty basically this is tax on a bought house for a $300K property approx $20k on top of a deposit, bit of a kick in the guts when I found out.

Having said that the day to day costs food, petrol etc are cheaper, as is eating out (they reckon 1 in 3 meals in melbourne is eaten out) and it can be fairly cheap.

As regards tax, you have to do a tax return at the end of the financial year (June) which I wasn't used too. As regards banks, shop around, pensions are compulsory, 9% of your salary goes to a pensions cheme, which for me is a great idea, and should be implemented in the UK.

There are loads of great places to visit within a couple of hours from here, I went to Halls Gap in the Grampians at easter camping, there are wineries a plenty, Mornington peninsula, ballarat (where I am going next month) loads of sports to watch (but unfortuantely not soccer live only on foxsports.damn!)

The lifestyle is more relaxed I have found and the weather means people get outdoors loads. I have barely missed watching tv, except a little now it is colder, and I used to be a bit of a square eyes. Although I did watch the Bill the other night.

The only things I miss are standard....family and friends, oh and Hollands meat and potato pies...I have even found a British butchers.

As regards work, I work for a recruitment company as a senior consultant in Melbourne and you should find work no problem. get info on all the accountancy recruitment firms in Melbourne email your resume now with cover and follow up for registering when you get here....and then keep in touch. The people who say they don't get work are those who never follow up once they have registered. The onus is on them.

Also try and live in South East suburbs..best spot by a mile.

Dale
Hi Dale
With regard to the section regarding recruitment firms - My husband has sent his details to several firms (he is in a senior position in the hotel business) but they dont even bother to reply.

Any suggestions?