Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who had or is having a leaving do ?

Who had or is having a leaving do ?

Old May 1st 2004, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

ovenater is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid all the rellies are coming to the airport with us that will be unbearable. My friend emigrated and she cried all the way to malaysia, she said when she stopped her son started and so she started again.

Some of our friends are coming to the airport aswell and I know I will be blubbing all the time. My daughter who is 16 is leaving her boyfriend of 3 years so she will be unconsolable.

sally
Old May 1st 2004, 12:39 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We had 16 peeps seeing us off at the airport aswell, we couldnt stop them and got phone calls from other friends at the airport it was mad but its not like its ever going to happen again so we just went with it
Old May 1st 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jensteve
I've thought about having a leaving party and decided against it, not for me but for my 12yr old son, who up to know has been looking forward to the whole Ozzy experience.
It will be a tearful event which I really don't want him getting upset about, and lets face it we are quite happy to be going and looking at all our relatives weeping and wailing when for most of the year we don't see them seems rather odd.
So I've warned them not to do anything as we are not party people and I hope they listen. I'd much rather go out for a meal or 2, and take out dad, nan and the in-laws. There is also a total ban of rellies at the airport, mum in law has already refused to go.

Jenny

Hi Jen,
Whereabouts in Wirral are you thats were we are based, in Prenton.
We have found the kids the hardest we have 2 young boys 3 & 6 but our daughter who is 11 is the hardest she is starting high school this year?

But I agree on the party business far too upsetting.

Last edited by Dicko; May 1st 2004 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 1st 2004, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We're thinking of several smaller meets, including a meal with Blim's family (9 brothers/sisters, some of which don't mix well!) but no real "leaving do" as such. We may well go camping with my brothers family. I'm going to give my daughter a disposable camera to take into school, plus maybe put together a "Pompey" scrapbook, with autographs and photos of friends & places. I'm not too keen on anyone coming to the airport, one of my SILs (don't get on with her) said that it would be good for my daughter to be in floods of tears on the plane, so she defo won't be coming
Old May 1st 2004, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

No party for us either. I am far too emotional for that. Also, the fact that you can only talk to everyone for a few minutes really puts me off.

I think that we will go for a few meals with friends etc. nearer the time. This is one thing that I am really not looking forward to.

Our 17 year old is not coming with us (although she will be validating her visa and staying with us for about 6 weeks). She has another year at college to do. She is moving into my parents next week and that is going to be dreadful. Saying that, I would react the same if she was going off to uni.

I'm planning a night out with the girls and getting rat arsed! Everyone will be so drunk that that hopefully they wont notice me sneaking off!

Mandy
Old May 1st 2004, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We are aiming to fly on 3/1/05 - although nothing booked yet! We have told all friends & family that we will be down the local on New years eve & to come & join us for a drink etc. That way people can drop in early or late or stay all night with the kids. We then have 2 days to get over the hang over & then fly out. I do not want family at the airport but hubby thinks that wild horses could not keep them away - personally think it will be a bad idea!! The prospect of 12 hours in floods of tears does not appeal to me - esp with very emotional kids!

pockygoes
Old May 1st 2004, 4:57 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We didn't have a leaving party, glad now though.

I Would feel a bit silly if we had, now we are returning!!! lol

So thats something to think about before you leave. !!!
Old May 1st 2004, 6:56 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We plan on having a month off before we go and will spend this time visiting friends and family for a meal / piss-up with small numbers. As others have said, that way you get to spend time with them instead of having to circulate! Definitely do not want anyone at the airport with us.
Old May 1st 2004, 9:01 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I will have to have a leaving do when I finish work at the end of August which will include quite a lot of my mates.

I've not really decided about the family yet but will probably have a series of meals out, around the end of August, as I'm hoping to fly out early in September.

The hardest goodbyes will be with my daughters and my grandson, definitely not going to be at the airport (no-one is coming to the airport - I intend to insist on that). My mum is coming with me for the flight and to stay for a while so that goodbye will be at the other end when she sets off back!

Elaine M
Old May 1st 2004, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sky
We had 16 peeps seeing us off at the airport aswell, we couldnt stop them and got phone calls from other friends at the airport it was mad but its not like its ever going to happen again so we just went with it

The problem is it will happen again!- every time your relies come to visit or you go back. My South African friend reminded me of this. Every time her parents came over and went home again, the tears were just as bad. You can never get away from this
Old May 2nd 2004, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by tinaj
The problem is it will happen again!- every time your relies come to visit or you go back. My South African friend reminded me of this. Every time her parents came over and went home again, the tears were just as bad. You can never get away from this
We leave in 4 weeks and looking faward to it,however we are not having a leaving party,we want to say good bye to people individually we have lots of bbq,s comming up and nites out! No one is comming to the airport,thats our request ,because if one came ,they would ALL come and belive me theres alot of them!!!Our 2 children are having one though,there only 3 and 4 and have great play mates,we will record it so when they ask about them we can put it on,we are also teaching them the basics of the computer(my 4 year old loves it)
Just a quick question though do people start to feel nervous or anxious at some point,cos im feeling ok about the move,some friends have commented that if it was them they would be SH@?ing it!!!:scared: So now im getting paronoid,because im so looking faward to it and have no qualms about going,my attitude is its not the end of the world,and theres the internet ,web cams ,phones and planes if it gets too bad
Also we have some freinds with children of the same age who are comming out on a pr a few weeks after us and onther family (yes katrina you )a few months later,we have family who have booked tickets already 4 xmas,so i think myself as very lucky,(we r going to Perth)My husband feels just the same as me,i know there will be tears (and lots of them)Im fying to ireland soon to say good bye to my grandparents and that will be heartbreaking,but they aslo plan to come out as soon as poss,All our family and friends have been so surpportive.Thers no point to this, just that we are we are very lucky,to have family and friends who are one in a million.
natasha
Old May 2nd 2004, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hi we are haveing a leaving do at morecambe football club.we get married there 8 years ago so it would be great to have it there again.I am from a big family but pauls not and we have lots of friends who we can say are goodbye too,yes it will be very upsetting but we are going to a new place to live and we what are family and freinds to be happy for us.

To all there people who are haveing a leaving do now injoy your party and get .

Love Ann Marie
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:31 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Hi we are haveing a leaving do at morecambe football club.we get married there 8 years ago so it would be great to have it there again.I am from a big family but pauls not and we have lots of friends who we can say are goodbye too,yes it will be very upsetting but we are going to a new place to live and we what are family and freinds to be happy for us.

To all there people who are haveing a leaving do now injoy your party and get .

Love Ann Marie

We are going to have a massive PARTY!!! its got to be done, looking at hotels in the area and hoping to book it soonish, we are going to have a great time, a get together with lots of friends and family and have a night to remember, we are going to go out with a bang!!!!!!!!!! It will be upsetting but it will also be great fun, going around to everybodys house to say goodbye to the large number of friends and family who are scattered everywhere over the UK would be endlessly upsetting.
Old May 3rd 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely NO goodbye parties for us.

Having said that, we are going to have a HUGE goodbye / leaving party for our 5 and 3 yr olds and their school / nursery friends.

Our 5 yr olds b.day is before we go, but our 3 yr old's b.day will be celebrated in Oz, so we thought we'd let her have a 'do' before she goes and let our boy invite his mates too.

Lanky Bill's fun Shack!!! YYeeeeeeHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

We can't be doing with rthe goodbyes, we're probably prolonging the agony by having the " separate " do's, but we feel we'll be able to give more individual time to each person.

Wish we were brave enough to have the ' leaving ' do, but we're not.

" Bak - BaKKKKKK" - Chickens!!!!!!!!!!