Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who is the driving force in migration?

Who is the driving force in migration?

Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:42 am
Just Joined

dazzyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Who is the driving force in migration?

Just a straw poll is this what other folk find:

In partners undergoing migration do you find that one is keener than the other?

When ever I tell friends of our plans it invariably seems to be the men who say 'go for it' or 'I don't blame you - wish I could do it.' The ladies seem far more tied to parents/family/roots.

Cheers
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Yeah

Blokes are like....jammy b.

Women on the other hand are like....what about your family etc. have you got a job, friends.

As for ourselves...we were and are keen on equal terms about moving over here..
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who is the driving force in migration?

Originally posted by dazzyr

When ever I tell friends of our plans it invariably seems to be the men who say 'go for it' or 'I don't blame you - wish I could do it.' The ladies seem far more tied to parents/family/roots.

Cheers

Hiya

It was a mutual decision for us both to emigrate but I was definetely the driving force in sorting out all the paperwork, references etc. If I'd left it to Paul then we'd still be at the reference stages for TRA!!!

Paul has no worries, no concerns, is really excited and doesn't seem nervous at all - with a "go for it" attitude. On the other, whilst I'm excited, I'm also nervous and I'm definetely worried about leaving all my family and friends behind.

I guess it's cause I'm closer to my rellies and friends and have become more so since having a baby. I also think the worries are done to the fact that I'm a bit of a "stress head" and whilst I'm doing tonnes of research about Oz, he isn't doing anything.

Perhaps more knowledge makes me more aware and therefore more apprehensive. Who knows!!!

Anyway - I'm waffling now, so had better shut up
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:39 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Troood
Hiya

It was a mutual decision for us both to emigrate but I was definetely the driving force in sorting out all the paperwork, references etc. If I'd left it to Paul then we'd still be at the reference stages for TRA!!!

Same here!

Although we have no children yet, which I'm sure helps as there's no worries about taking them away from the grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.

We dont have any friends or family in Oz, so it will be a bit strange for a while...
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:17 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

It's definitely me who is doing the pushing. No family or friends for me to miss so I guess it's easier for me to leave blighty.

The missus has a wide circle of friends and good family in the UK so I reckon there are some tearful times to come !
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:51 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Troood
Hiya

It was a mutual decision for us both to emigrate but I was definetely the driving force in sorting out all the paperwork, references etc.
Same for us. The original decision was Chris's, but after he had said "lets move to Australia" it was up to me to make it happen even though I'm the one with the aussie passport. Think he thought he had done the difficult part of actually making the decision.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:51 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Nope, opposite with us. There's me, the pom, going on at Mr B like a two-year old in search of sweets, desperate to go back to Oz. Then there's Mr B, the aussie, who's having quite a nice time over here, thanks very much, and isn't in any great hurry to go home.

But I've ground him down, of course
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

I'm the one pushing for it in our case. Missus says she'll go for my sake - but I don't know if that's good enough to make such a decision. She's level headed and I'm sure we'll make a good go of it. The main thing unsettling her is the family issue - we are close to family & have 3 young kids 7,3 & 3 months who are sure to miss there grandparents/great-grandparents and probably more so vice-versa. But the way I see it is it's a wonderful chance for a new life possibly,hopefully a lot less stressed with no mortgage higher living standards for us and a more together family life. I want to do a job that'll give me more time with kids + wife and it's going to be possible in Oz as we're not going to be so dependent on money as we are now.
But who knows???
You ladies particularly housewife/mums seem to have a pretty good social life sometimes & I know it's a hard job rearing a family but perhaps that is why you're more settled than us blokes.
All I know is I've had 20 years since leaving school and it's time for a new challenge and where better than Oz? It's pretty well out of the way for any terrorist problems, has a good climate and speak English!
Adelaide bound hopefully on a STNI!

RANT OVER!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:18 pm

It's pretty well out of the way for any terrorist problems

Ummmm, dont you remember the Bali bombing? Also, there have been threats made to Australia regarding the Iraqi war... :scared:
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:27 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bridiej
Ummmm, dont you remember the Bali bombing? Also, there have been threats made to Australia regarding the Iraqi war... :scared:

Party pooper
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:32 pm

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Party pooper
Sorry, just thought I'd remind them before anyone else (kong!) jumped in there.....
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:41 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bridiej
Sorry, just thought I'd remind them before anyone else (kong!) jumped in there.....

It was a good point though - Oz is a target too.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Yeah but here in the UK we're sitting ducks. Very easy targets with population density. I'm really surprised we've not been hit yet.
It's a long way to fire a missile to Oz!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:56 pm
She's a bird, you know

Yeah but here in the UK we're sitting ducks. Very easy targets with population density. I'm really surprised we've not been hit yet.

Depends who's firing it...and I'm less worried about missiles than suicide bombers and the like.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:56 pm

Yes, I take your point.

It is a worry with all that's going on in the world, but is there actually more terrorism or is it just that the media coverage makes it seem like there's more?

I was talking to my neighbour the other day and she said in the 60s everyone thought they were going to get nuked by Cuba! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.