Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who do you have to sleep with to get a job round here?

Who do you have to sleep with to get a job round here?

Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:02 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Default Who do you have to sleep with to get a job round here?

AAAAAAAAarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhh! I must have applied for at least 20 jobs in the last month, through Seek and CarreerOne, but no one ever bothers to call me back. I am a very experienced PA with 10 years experience. I though by now I would have had at least a couple of interviews (with employers, not ruddy agencies) lined up, but not a sausage. Apparently the agencies here are very well known for that. Any pointers please. I am getting the Courrier Mail tomorrow and will start sending letters out on spec. I am totally bored and hacked off.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who do you have to sleep with to get a job round here?

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
AAAAAAAAarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhh! I must have applied for at least 20 jobs in the last month, through Seek and CarreerOne, but no one ever bothers to call me back. I am a very experienced PA with 10 years experience. I though by now I would have had at least a couple of interviews (with employers, not ruddy agencies) lined up, but not a sausage. Apparently the agencies here are very well known for that. Any pointers please. I am getting the Courrier Mail tomorrow and will start sending letters out on spec. I am totally bored and hacked off.
Give us a clue, where are you "Cider country"?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:09 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by renth
Give us a clue, where are you "Cider country"?
I am living in Cleveland, but would like to work in Brissyvegas CBD.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I am living in Cleveland, but would like to work in Brissyvegas CBD.
Your best bet is to start your job hunt once you are here. I know what Aussie employers are like, they'll usually ignore the CV if they know you are in the UK.

Plus, once you get here you have to do your homework. When you have applied for a job you have to hound them. Often this hounding is a sign to the employer that you are a dynamic go getter.

Networking is vital too, nepotism is big here.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:15 am
Dancing Queen

Originally Posted by renth
Your best bet is to start your job hunt once you are here. I know what Aussie employers are like, they'll usually ignore the CV if they know you are in the UK.

Plus, once you get here you have to do your homework. When you have applied for a job you have to hound them. Often this hounding is a sign to the employer that you are a dynamic go getter.

Networking is vital too, nepotism is big here.
I am in Cleveland, Australia (Bayside).

I don't know who to network with, I don't have a car yet and going into the city just to see an agent is a pain in the arse.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

As you are a pa do you have RSA qualifications. RSA stands for something else over here, so I have decided to tailor my RSA III Diploma to say 'Stage 3 Secretarial skills Diploma' or something along those line on my resume and explain my reasons if interviewed. Have only applied for 1 job so far using RSA and none my new way. I am not seriously looking as of yet, but can feel the home all day madness disease about to hit.

Jo
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:43 am
Dancing Queen

Originally Posted by joho
As you are a pa do you have RSA qualifications. RSA stands for something else over here, so I have decided to tailor my RSA III Diploma to say 'Stage 3 Secretarial skills Diploma' or something along those line on my resume and explain my reasons if interviewed. Have only applied for 1 job so far using RSA and none my new way. I am not seriously looking as of yet, but can feel the home all day madness disease about to hit.

Jo
AHA! I didn't know that about RSA, I have typing, audio typing medical typing, WP, and book-keeping qualifications. Because I haven't worked for 4 months my typing speed has gone down to about 55 wpm, I used to be about 80. Some patronising bitch at an agency said that I sould copy out of the newspaper for an hour a day, my agument was to her that I can be back up to 80 within a week of starting a job, and if typing speed was what it was all about then I didn't want to know, as a PA for 10 years, very little of my job was actually typing.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the agencies - apply for jobs direct from the Courier. Far more likely to hear back from them (though not guaranteed) and far more likely to get your kind of job that way.
Have you also looked at www.jobs.qld.gov.au
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

You can sleep with me if you like but I'm not sure I can give you a job

Sorry, couldn't resist that!!

I found when I was in blighty that the agencies are not interested in any way so as others have said I would wait till you get here and start then.

Regards
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

AHA! I didn't know that about RSA, I have typing, audio typing medical typing, WP, and book-keeping qualifications. Because I haven't worked for 4 months my typing speed has gone down to about 55 wpm, I used to be about 80. Some patronising bitch at an agency said that I sould copy out of the newspaper for an hour a day, my agument was to her that I can be back up to 80 within a week of starting a job, and if typing speed was what it was all about then I didn't want to know, as a PA for 10 years, very little of my job was actually typing.
Figure out who is using your skills and contact them directly and ask if they know of any openings. Bit like getting a root really - lots of knock backs but if you don't ask you won't get.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:16 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

I found the pool man worked for me

Bree
Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate House Flies
I found the pool man worked for me

Bree
Old Jul 1st 2005, 5:42 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be too specific, as I'm in Sydney rather than Brisbane, but thought I'd share my job hunt experience.

The job search in earnest kicked off once Mr GG and I arrived in Sydney. I used seek.com.au in the main, but did also look at the Sydney Morning Herald and keep an eye on other sites such as career.com.au and specific agencies' websites. Think I applied for (on average) five jobs a day, Monday-Friday, for about two months. Had countless meetings with recruitment agencies, but 'real' interviews ... Perhaps about 10 (it takes me a long time to warm up to them; I hate interviews! ).

I too found that most people don't bother to call back. That's why I always made a point of calling the agency/company to follow up my application a couple of days after submitting it. I did get some success that way - it seems pushy, but I think it just shows you're keen and serious about the job.

Anyway, my point is that job-hunting is a demoralising, depressing thing to do. But you just have to stick with it and something will turn up. Try not to get too down about it.

Karma for good luck that something comes along soon.

GG

Just as an after thought ... have you asked any of the recruitment agenices to look over your CV and offer advice? I found that some Aussie feedback was useful in that regard.

Last edited by Geordie George; Jul 1st 2005 at 5:46 am. Reason: Spelling, spelling, spelling. Grrrr.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:09 am
Dancing Queen

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Can't be too specific, as I'm in Sydney rather than Brisbane, but thought I'd share my job hunt experience.

The job search in earnest kicked off once Mr GG and I arrived in Sydney. I used seek.com.au in the main, but did also look at the Sydney Morning Herald and keep an eye on other sites such as career.com.au and specific agencies' websites. Think I applied for (on average) five jobs a day, Monday-Friday, for about two months. Had countless meetings with recruitment agencies, but 'real' interviews ... Perhaps about 10 (it takes me a long time to warm up to them; I hate interviews! ).

I too found that most people don't bother to call back. That's why I always made a point of calling the agency/company to follow up my application a couple of days after submitting it. I did get some success that way - it seems pushy, but I think it just shows you're keen and serious about the job.

Anyway, my point is that job-hunting is a demoralising, depressing thing to do. But you just have to stick with it and something will turn up. Try not to get too down about it.

Karma for good luck that something comes along soon.

GG

Just as an after thought ... have you asked any of the recruitment agenices to look over your CV and offer advice? I found that some Aussie feedback was useful in that regard.
Hi GG

The recruitment agencies here are about as much use as tits on a fish. I had a massive row with one asking why they never call back. I must have applied for about 30 jobs by now, and I only get some recruitment consultant who is so far up their own arse treat me like I am a 16 year old shool leaver.

I think that from others experience, cold calling is the answer.

Lucy
Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:18 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed that the recruitment consultants are useless. They tend to approach things from the employer's, rather than the candidate's, perspective, so once you've been put forward for one role, you drop off their radar a bit.

Not much use to you, 'cause they don't have a Brisbane office, but for other people; a recuitment consultant that seemed to be the exception to prove the rule was greythorn.com.au.

I know how frustrating the process is and how fed up you get. Don't become introspective though and think it's any reflection on you! I really hope you get some progress soon.
Nichola

Hi GG

The recruitment agencies here are about as much use as tits on a fish. I had a massive row with one asking why they never call back. I must have applied for about 30 jobs by now, and I only get some recruitment consultant who is so far up their own arse treat me like I am a 16 year old shool leaver.

I think that from others experience, cold calling is the answer.

Lucy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.