Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who can explain?

who can explain?

Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all
Default who can explain?

hi
some things i havnt been able to quite grasp. so can someone give it in a simple way?
if i want a good standard of education for my children do i need to send them to a private schoo (and pay a fortune)l?
is medicare as good as the NHS? what does medicare cover/not cover?
will i need private health insurance for my family?
what about dentists, do children see them free?

cheers
scratchey
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:08 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: who can explain?

schools vary from place to place, and not all private schools cost a fortune. It really depends where you move to.

Medicare covers GP appointments if the GP bulk bills, if not then you will have to pay a little. Medicare covers hospital treatment in a public hospital. It also covers some other treatments, check their website for more info.

You will need a private dentist, and if you have kids private medical insurance is probably a good idea to cover this expense.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mika24me
schools vary from place to place, and not all private schools cost a fortune. It really depends where you move to.

Medicare covers GP appointments if the GP bulk bills, if not then you will have to pay a little. Medicare covers hospital treatment in a public hospital. It also covers some other treatments, check their website for more info.

You will need a private dentist, and if you have kids private medical insurance is probably a good idea to cover this expense.
cheers mika
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:48 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Kids can see the school dentist which is free.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Children up to year 11 can see a school dentist for free. But alot of them are shutting down, not enough funding from the Government.

I was at the school dentist last week with my 9 year old. The school dentist was telling me how bad the system was and that the private dentists just charge what the hell they like.

e.g..private dentist quote for 2 fillings for my 9 year old was $650.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Our school dentist can only get round each school and see each child in the area once every 2 years at present!!!

Though if they are in pain they may be more flexible....

Dentist are expensive here:-

An emergency appointment cost $60 and
one xray just cost me $46,
remove cracked old filling and replace with white one $180 and
root canal prep $200 and they still have to fill the hole they drilled .....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mika24me

I can echo what mika says, just to clarify though, for example we have recently had some bulk bills from a doctor and claimed them back from medicare but you lose 20%. You see the doctor, show your medicare card (or passport if still new for reciprocal cover), doctor gives you a receipt and then you go to the nearest Medicare centre and using a claim form get your money (minus 20%) back.