Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who can certify copies of certificates

Who can certify copies of certificates

Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Exclamation Who can certify copies of certificates

Hi everybody this is my first post so please go easy on me!!!
I am just starting my process of immigration to australia and am soaking as much info up as poss, but one question i am struggling on is :-
how or who can certify copies of my city and guilds certificates that would be acceptable to all the different immigration athorities?
Also can anybody recommend any good books out there to help along with the process.
Any help or info is greatly appreciated
cheers :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:53 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who can certify copies of certificates

if you have an agent then they usually have a solicitor that will do it for them, if not then take the copies and originals down with your passport to your local solicitor and they can do it for you
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:53 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

Hi I used to be shy but there are some very knowledgble people on here all willing to help so ask away even the daftest questions will get a sensible helpful reply...............try the High Commission website for information and booklets many of them you can download and print off......as for certyfying copies........it's the likes of.....a police officer, magistrate, justice of the peace, solicitor, bank manager, doctor.......just make sure they stamp them with an legible stamp and ask them to sign and print......ask nicely and they will......
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:57 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

Also whilst i think on I've been helped and supported greatly on here by pollyana and bkate you'll find they'll have the answers to most questions....................its like i'm their agent...eh girls
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Better still if you ask family and friends if anyone knows a local magistrate? He/She will normally certify documents free of charge!!!! The magistrate that did mine stated that he thought it was his duty and didn't want payment at all. He earned a bottle of whiskey (although it didn't say who it was from, just a note thanking him for his help and left on the doorstep) for his troubles.
Good luck to all who are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

lizzel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I went to my local magistrate court. They got me to write on them and I had to go into court whilst the J.O.P signed then and then we got them stamped officially. They did it all free of charge for me.
I did make sure though that I had them all photocopied before I went and got 3 copies of each done!
Saved us a fortune than going to a solicitor.

Liz

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
Hi everybody this is my first post so please go easy on me!!!
I am just starting my process of immigration to australia and am soaking as much info up as poss, but one question i am struggling on is :-
how or who can certify copies of my city and guilds certificates that would be acceptable to all the different immigration athorities?
Also can anybody recommend any good books out there to help along with the process.
Any help or info is greatly appreciated
cheers :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I just walked into a local solicitors and someone stamped and signed them for a small fee (approx 50p per item) - no problem.

I wouldn't bother buying books on emigrating - you will definitely find everything you need on this forum or the immigration one
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:29 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what others have said. Some people seem to have got away with bank managers and GPs signing their docs, but the rules here are different to those in Oz (where there's a whole list of people who can sign). Here you're best off sticking with a solicitor or JP.

Yep, don't need any books. I reckon if we pool our knowledge we know way more than you'd get in any book. And we're free!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

We had all our stuff certified by our bank (HSBC) for free (obviously this was not an Australian bank, but thats another story)
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
.....as for certyfying copies........it's the likes of.....a police officer, magistrate, justice of the peace, solicitor, bank manager, doctor.......just make sure they stamp them with an legible stamp and ask them to sign and print......ask nicely and they will......
Hi to all
This question is asked on a regular basis. There is some confusion because we tend to think of who can authorise UK passport photos and apply that to DIMIA required certification.

DIMIA make this statement
"Photocopies of original documents should be certified by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declarations or a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959"

To all of us in the UK that means a Justice of the Peace or solicitor.

I know instances where certified copies signed by consultant surgeons for instance have been refused.
Australia have different rules. A pharmacist, for instance, can certify copies there.
Using a solicitor will be correct every time, although not cheap.(but none of the whole process is )

Hope this helps.

Regards
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjn2003
I just walked into a local solicitors and someone stamped and signed them for a small fee (approx 50p per item) - no problem.

I wouldn't bother buying books on emigrating - you will definitely find everything you need on this forum or the immigration one
I took mine in to a random solicitors office, there were quite a few documents and guess how much she charged?

Wrong.... she charged nothing.

What a nice lady.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by renth
I took mine in to a random solicitors office, there were quite a few documents and guess how much she charged?

Wrong.... she charged nothing.

What a nice lady.
She's a very nice lady
Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stewie
Hi to all
This question is asked on a regular basis. There is some confusion because we tend to think of who can authorise UK passport photos and apply that to DIMIA required certification.

DIMIA make this statement
"Photocopies of original documents should be certified by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declarations or a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959"

To all of us in the UK that means a Justice of the Peace or solicitor.

I know instances where certified copies signed by consultant surgeons for instance have been refused.
Australia have different rules. A pharmacist, for instance, can certify copies there.
Using a solicitor will be correct every time, although not cheap.(but none of the whole process is )

Hope this helps.

Regards
I had some of mine done by a Doctor in the UK.
It was OK for DIMIA.

G