Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who is the biggest ????

who is the biggest ????

Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

sparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the rough
Default who is the biggest ????

what is the name of the biggest baker / confectioner shop in sydney ? what kind of goodies do they sell ?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:01 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who is the biggest ????

Originally Posted by sparkiedoo
what is the name of the biggest baker / confectioner shop in sydney ? what kind of goodies do they sell ?
Not sure who the biggest retailer is, but from comments on here they DONT bake pies and pasties like they do in the UK thats for sure!!!!

We had lots of nice cakes while we were there last year though, well we had to try several out as we are both bakers by trade and its good to compare, isnt it???!!!!!! C x
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Baker is probably Baker's Delight....Confectioner is probably Darrell Lea

Bakers Delight is a typical bakery and Darrell Lea specializes in chocolates....

Personally, after being here for over 2 years I am so used to Australian stuff that I prefer it over UK stuff! After a while you just get very very used to everything here....

assimilation complete!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:33 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Baker is probably Baker's Delight....Confectioner is probably Darrell Lea

Bakers Delight is a typical bakery and Darrell Lea specializes in chocolates....

Personally, after being here for over 2 years I am so used to Australian stuff that I prefer it over UK stuff! After a while you just get very very used to everything here....

assimilation complete!
I personally find the chocolate here to taste nicer - it seems sweeter. Although it costs double the price for a bar.

I miss Mars delight, which are not available in oz.

Pizza Hut in the UK, shits all over ours. The crust has a nicer flavour in the UK.

The apple pies at Maccas in the UK are also alooooot nicer. Although I always found the chips to be limp and tasteless.

I found chinese take-away to be be better in the UK, so to pub grub - but it seemed double the price.

I thought maybe the UK being close to Ireland that Guinness, from the tap, might taste better than in oz - WRONG. Sour, just like in oz. Although I had just come from Ireland, where the Guinness tasted nicer than ice cream.

A standard coke comes in smaller cans in Europe.

The strawberries imported from Spain were to die for. You get them here, but they cost you $8 a punnet for that quality.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:36 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

Most of the supermarkets do a fair bit of baking and offer an aisles of sweeties.

Brumby's is another large bakery franchise in most areas.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Bakers Delight and Brumbys mainly do bread products only. If you want info on cakes:

Michels is the bog-standard franchised cake shop - there's one in every shopping mall.

http://www.michels.com.au/pages/menu/index.htm#large

And The Cheesecake Shop (they don't just do cheesecake) is another franchised cake shop:

http://www.cheesecake.com.au

The bulk of bakers and cakeshops are independently owned. There are lots of excellent vietnamese bakers around who learned their skills from the French.