Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whitsundays - where to stay?

Whitsundays - where to stay?

Old Jun 24th 2005, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road
Default Whitsundays - where to stay?

Planning a trip up there from Sydney for our wedding anniversary in Sept. Has anyone got any particular recommendations for good accommodation in the area? Hotel, apartment/lodge, resort all considered but looking for a good recommendation.

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2005, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whitsundays - where to stay?

Are you still in 'gurt bristol' or are you now in oz. Don't know any answers but it dunt half look gurt lush dunt it, casn't thee find anyfink on the internet. Ar young un and ma would love it.

Sorry couldnt resist, I am from Bristol area originally and its nice to hear the local lingo occasionaly although I did haff to refer to my 'Dictionary of Bristle' to brush up a bit. What part are you from. I was originally from Pensford (Acker Bilk land) and then Keynsham.

Cheers Jo
Old Jun 24th 2005, 3:09 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

I went up to the Whitsundays for a long weekend in November and had an awesome time! We stayed on Long Island. There is only one resort on the island, so it's not hard to find info about. Club Crocodile if I remember correctly. We had a room that was about 20m from the waters edge and it was spectacular!
There are other resorts on other islands, but some are a lot more expensive and some are a lot bigger. This one seems to be quite small (fewer people around) but not so luxurious as to make it mega expensive.
I guess it depends what you're after.

Have fun!!

W,
Old Jun 24th 2005, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Hiya,

I went up to the Whitsundays for a long weekend in November and had an awesome time! We stayed on Long Island. There is only one resort on the island, so it's not hard to find info about. Club Crocodile if I remember correctly. We had a room that was about 20m from the waters edge and it was spectacular!
There are other resorts on other islands, but some are a lot more expensive and some are a lot bigger. This one seems to be quite small (fewer people around) but not so luxurious as to make it mega expensive.
I guess it depends what you're after.

Have fun!!

W,
Joho, we're from St Werburghs, Bristol CBD, if there is such a thing!! Living in Manly now.

Wanderlust that sounds like were looking for, not mega expensive and not tacky resort with the other million people on holiday! Something that has something about it, if that makes any sense?!

Cheers then
Old Jun 24th 2005, 7:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by easygroove
Planning a trip up there from Sydney for our wedding anniversary in Sept. Has anyone got any particular recommendations for good accommodation in the area? Hotel, apartment/lodge, resort all considered but looking for a good recommendation.

Thanks
We got a 'last minute' deal from a travel agent at Airlie beach. We stayed on South Molle but could have got Hayman island at £60 per night

It may be worth seeing what is available when you get to Sydney.

I would recommend South Molle.

Only one resort and less busy and smaller than Hamilton.

Hayman is considered either No. 1 or 2 resort in the world with prices to match. You may still be able to get a 'cheapie' though.

Good luck

G
Old Jun 24th 2005, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Originally Posted by joho
Are you still in 'gurt bristol' or are you now in oz. Don't know any answers but it dunt half look gurt lush dunt it, casn't thee find anyfink on the internet. Ar young un and ma would love it.

Sorry couldnt resist, I am from Bristol area originally and its nice to hear the local lingo occasionaly although I did haff to refer to my 'Dictionary of Bristle' to brush up a bit. What part are you from. I was originally from Pensford (Acker Bilk land) and then Keynsham.

Cheers Jo
Hi jo,

My brother in-law and his wife live in Keynsham he's a Fireman and she's a Postie it's a small world!! we've been to visit them on various times Keynsham is a nice wee place.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 9:31 am
Just Joined

steeleo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
stayed on DayDream Island a couple of years ago. Not very big but pleasant enough although did feel a bit too resort-ish (if that makes sense).
As others have said Hayman is amazing - brother and sister-in-law stayed there last year - but very pricey.
Enjoy.
OLi.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 9:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by easygroove

Thanks
For something truly memorable and fantastic
http://www.barefootcruises.com.au/coraltrekker.htm

Went on them last August and had a fantastic time. Maybe combine that with a resort but the resort will seem boring and timid afterwards.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Shandy is on a distinguished road

I agree with bondipom.

Get out on the water.

We spent a few days on the Apollo with ProSail (http://www.prosail.com.au/) and had a fantastic time on. I wouldn't say it was luxurious and you'll probably be sharing a cabin but the rest of the experience more than compensates.

Neil