Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:20 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

Originally Posted by OzSheila
It's not only the washing action of the top loader that won't get the stains out - it is also the fact that the washing powders out here are crap. The manufacturers are not allowed to put an ingredient in which makes them more effective. Hence the prevalence of detergent "boosters" in Oz (the addition of which still doesn't make that much difference IMHO!).
Earth Choice is surprisingly good (liquid). Might be because we've been using a commercial washer though.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:26 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't get the argument about top loaders. We used one when we first got here and it cleaned as well as any front loader I have ever had. Brought my front loader with us but only because it's a Bosch and was only just over a year old.

(Not sad at all!! )

I agree totally with you. I have had both front and top loader machines over quite a few years now and to be honest, both wash my clothes just fine as long as I use stain remover/napisan oxywash etc when necessary. No top loader has ruined my clothes or removed the underwire from my bra's. Front loaders are a little more efficient on water, but as they take SO much longer to run through the cycle, cant see how they are more efficient on electricity. I just dont get it. Fine, you have one you prefer because its what you are used to, but I dont believe one washes better than the other....

The main reason I have a top loader at the moment is that I am hopeless at forgetting single items that should be in with a wash that I have started already and you just cant open up a front loader for that stray sock!!

Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:01 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
(Not sad at all!! )

I agree totally with you. I have had both front and top loader machines over quite a few years now and to be honest, both wash my clothes just fine as long as I use stain remover/napisan oxywash etc when necessary. No top loader has ruined my clothes or removed the underwire from my bra's. Front loaders are a little more efficient on water, but as they take SO much longer to run through the cycle, cant see how they are more efficient on electricity. I just dont get it. Fine, you have one you prefer because its what you are used to, but I dont believe one washes better than the other....

The main reason I have a top loader at the moment is that I am hopeless at forgetting single items that should be in with a wash that I have started already and you just cant open up a front loader for that stray sock!!

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Public...rLaundries.pdf

Front loaders definitely use less water & electricity, but obviously that only applies to similar comparisons.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:09 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

ooh great, another washing machine debate.

On the purchase thing, if you like Bosch or Miele, then buy in the UK as they are astronomically priced here.

In fact, I think, for a decent machine (front loader!!) they are far more expensive here.

I bought an Electrolux in the UK (best buy in Which magazine) for about £200. I think you would be hard pushed to get a machine that worked well here for less than $600 - $700.

Yes, the water rebate helps. But they are still expensive.

And yes, I am a front loader fan. Used a top loader when we first arrived (brand new). It was bloody useless. I agree with Hels that it's great to be able to chuck those odd socks and knickers in during the wash - but that deffo doesn't compensate for the tangled, creased, thread pulled clothes that come out at the end.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know just about all the new front loaders allow you to add clothes at any time during the cycle.

I have a front loader now & wouldnt go back to a top loader, but only because it saves water, washes just as well (if not better - the whites seem to come out cleaner without any extra powders added) & is huge . I never had problems with clothes being ripped etc with a toploader , Ive said it before & I will say it again, its because people who are used to front loaders (where you fill it up for it to work more efficiently) put far too many clothes in a toploader - its supposed to only be filled as far as the top of the wash vanes (with DRY clothes!). If you over fill it, Im sure you would rip your clothes!

BTW Hels, most front loaders have a range of wash options, they only take a long time if you choose the hottest wash options, I almost always use the same cycle & its 41 minutes including extra rinse .

To the OP, unless you are specifically looking for European appliances (not just washing machines but any appliances) I wouldn't bother buying in the UK. Buy them here & warranty is no issue especially as you can buy extended warranty (up to 5 years) for only a few dollars more.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Well thanks everyone. We have just bought a new tumble dryer (old one broke) and we have a 2 year old high end Hoover front loader washing machine. Maybe we should bring our existing washer and if it breaks down we could then chuck it away and buy a new one? We will be bringing the drier.

As to the Top vs Front, why do all the launderettes use top loaders if they aren't as good as front loaders?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:46 am
Home.

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Well thanks everyone. We have just bought a new tumble dryer (old one broke) and we have a 2 year old high end Hoover front loader washing machine. Maybe we should bring our existing washer and if it breaks down we could then chuck it away and buy a new one? We will be bringing the drier.

As to the Top vs Front, why do all the launderettes use top loaders if they aren't as good as front loaders?
Larger drum size, easier to load, can chuck stuff in late if you want?

They're still crap though
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi there
DEF bring, white goods are expensive here!!
I wish we had bought more. Wer on Sunshine Coast.
Spinkways
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by webgum
ooh great, another washing machine debate.

On the purchase thing, if you like Bosch or Miele, then buy in the UK as they are astronomically priced here.

In fact, I think, for a decent machine (front loader!!) they are far more expensive here.

I bought an Electrolux in the UK (best buy in Which magazine) for about £200. I think you would be hard pushed to get a machine that worked well here for less than $600 - $700.

Yes, the water rebate helps. But they are still expensive.

And yes, I am a front loader fan. Used a top loader when we first arrived (brand new). It was bloody useless. I agree with Hels that it's great to be able to chuck those odd socks and knickers in during the wash - but that deffo doesn't compensate for the tangled, creased, thread pulled clothes that come out at the end.
webgum

out of curiosity, which Electrolux machine was it that got the best buy?

thanks
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi

We are off to OZ in October and I am wondering whether I should buy a new washing machine here in the UK or wait until we get there?

Shipping isn't a problem as there is room in the container

Any ideas anyone?
If its not nailed down, bring it. White goods are way more expensive here. Chest freezers are stupidly priced. I think the last one I bought in the Uk was about 80 quid... $400 plus here..... and Dyson's, my God!! You need a second mortgage..
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:55 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the plugs are only 10amps here, so you might have problems with things like kettles.

Don't think fridges sold in the UK are not tropical class like they are here so you might have problems with them in a hot summer.