Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White Gold - does it contain nickel here in Australia?

White Gold - does it contain nickel here in Australia?

Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default White Gold - does it contain nickel here in Australia?

Just curious if anyone knows if white gold contains nickel here in Australia? I know the use of nickel is banned in Europe but is it the same here? It's a ring out of Michael Hill if that's any help?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:38 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: White Gold - does it contain nickel here in Australia?

I make jewellery (although I don't use gold at the moment), and having just had a look at the wholesaler where I get my silver from, their white gold contains gold, silver, copper and zinc. So, I would hazard a guess at no, but I would definitely check with Michael Hill themselves before buying.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:40 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
I make jewellery (although I don't use gold at the moment), and having just had a look at the wholesaler where I get my silver from, their white gold contains gold, silver, copper and zinc. So, I would hazard a guess at no, but I would definitely check with Michael Hill themselves before buying.
K, is making jewellery cheaper than buying it wholesale, as a matter of interest?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting question.

I found this http://myring.com.au/information.php?info_id=39

I guess the answer to your question is dependent on where the ring is made.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:42 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Also if I go ahead, what's ur opinion on rhodium plating etc? MH said if I pay $49 that'll cover me for 3 years rhodium plating and other stuff, or $99 for a lifetime...con job?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:44 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by lesleys
What an interesting question.

I found this http://myring.com.au/information.php?info_id=39

I guess the answer to your question is dependent on where the ring is made.
I asked because I'm allergic to nickel so I need to be careful before we spend a hefty amount on a White gold ring!!!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:56 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest, it is like comparing apples and pears. The sort of things that you buy wholesale are different to what you would maybe buy handmade. I could never compete with making the jewellery that comes out of China in huge quantities because I am a one woman band, as it were, and I have to pay myself fairly for the hard work I put in (although I actually don't take any sort of salary at the moment). I only use best quality materials, and each piece that I make is unique and individual, so as I say, it is difficult for me to compare.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:00 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

To be honest, it is like comparing apples and pears. The sort of things that you buy wholesale are different to what you would maybe buy handmade. I could never compete with making the jewellery that comes out of China in huge quantities because I am a one woman band, as it were, and I have to pay myself fairly for the hard work I put in (although I actually don't take any sort of salary at the moment). I only use best quality materials, and each piece that I make is unique and individual, so as I say, it is difficult for me to compare.
I sent u a pm...
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a look at your website and your designs are beautiful. Seriously considering the copper & pearl ring for a Mother's Day gift to myself.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:31 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I just had a look at your website and your designs are beautiful. Seriously considering the copper & pearl ring for a Mother's Day gift to myself.
Thank you for the compliments! I try to make things that are a little bit different to the usual. I custom make those rings to order. They look gorgeous on.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto on the jewellry it does look pretty good.
One small note for your site, and it is small, is that people like me, posting behind a VPN firewall can be blocked from seeing sites like photobucket and tinypic, which you use on the front page. I had to drop my VPN to see the pictures.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:21 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Ditto on the jewellry it does look pretty good.
One small note for your site, and it is small, is that people like me, posting behind a VPN firewall can be blocked from seeing sites like photobucket and tinypic, which you use on the front page. I had to drop my VPN to see the pictures.
Thank you! I hadn't realised that. I presume if I save those pictures to my computer and re-load them to my website from there that will fix the problem. The computer stuff is all a bit hit and miss, to be honest! It has taken me ages to even get it to where it is!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:53 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Has anyone bought jewellery from Michael Hill here in Australia and are they meant to be ok? Do u think it's worth taking out their $49 (3 yrs) or $99 (lifetime) policy for the upkeep of the ring, like for rhodium plating etc?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

personally i find most of their offerings rubbish in quality and definitely over priced - i would imagine being in toowoomba you have limited options however if you are genuinely considering purchasing an expensive jewellery item then make the hour trip back to brisbane.

edit: to answer your question, if you insist on buying from MH i'd say go for the lifetime upkeep as i was told there is no such thing as "white gold" its a mix of various metals however cheaper rings generally wear earlier than others (wear=start to look a rose like gold colour -depending on the mix of metals) and thus do have the need to be regularly polished to maintain that white gold look.

Last edited by phat-dave; Mar 6th 2011 at 12:15 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

It's my 20th wedding anniversary on wednesday and mr PP is taking me to choose a ring, we are limited to Sheils, Prouds and Zamels and I don't know if they are all crap or half good, I personally prefer 9 ct gold so will have a look and see, wouldn't mind something a bit different.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Mar 6th 2011 at 12:30 am. Reason: iPhone spellcheck!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.