Whinging Poms

Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:57 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Whinging Poms

Why does it seem British migrants in OZ complain or whinge alot more then British migrants in other countries? If you read the returning to Uk forum the people whinging the most are from OZ.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Sep 30th 2006 at 9:00 am.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:01 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Poms

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Why does it seem British immigrants in OZ complain or whinge alot more then British immigrants in other countries? If you read the returning to Uk forum the people whinging the most are from OZ.
Stop, whinging ............... mm
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why does it seem British migrants in OZ complain or whinge alot more then British migrants in other countries? If you read the returning to Uk forum the people whinging the most are from OZ.
Failed expectations?

G
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:08 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that too many people come here with the idea that they will just 'fall into' the australian way of life...that they will be able to get the same things, and that attitudes are the same (**** knows why they'd want that though.....I'm generalising, but I think the attitude is crap in Blighty)

Then when they have to adapt, and make an effort....it all goes to pot, because they can't be arsed....or manage to.

Anyway....I love it here, and have found a country I can call home with a smile on my face.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:11 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Failed expectations?

G
Maybe too high expectations?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...That is really what I meant.

G
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe more migrate to Oz than any one other country?? so it just seems they are all whinging from there.?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

What surprises me is how many say they haven't or can't make friends and they think the Australians are unfriendly. I found it took time to call someone a friend, but I generally found the Australians easy to make friends with. Anyone else find they have made some very good mates in a short period of time?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Whinging Poms

Originally Posted by Grayling
Failed expectations?
Yes, I believe both of these are true. There are other reasons, of course, but IMHO these are the most likely.

Originally Posted by kitty4
Maybe more migrate to Oz than any one other country??
Correct. Australia is the most popular destination for British emigrants:

Official data show that more than 350,000 people leave the country every year, up almost 50 percent from 10 years ago. A recent BBC survey remarkably found that 13 percent of people said they were hoping to emigrate in the near future - double the figure from a similar survey conducted three years ago.

At least 4.5 million Britons - about 8 percent of the population - now live abroad, a far bigger diaspora in percentage terms than those of other rich countries like France, Germany, and the US. Those anxious about rising immigration numbers should take note: more Britons now live overseas than the number of foreign nationals resident in Britain.

[...]

Australia is the most popular destination, with 615,000 Britons.

[...]

David Maund, a restructuring adviser in Hong Kong, says most Britons he knows moved for reasons of career and lifestyle. He says many start out on a short-term posting and decide to prolong their stint.

"The majority of my British expatriate friends are long-term expats and unlikely to return to the UK," he says.
CS Monitor.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:47 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
What surprises me is how many say they haven't or can't make friends and they think the Australians are unfriendly. I found it took time to call someone a friend, but I generally found the Australians easy to make friends with. Anyone else find they have made some very good mates in a short period of time?
I think the opposite....from my experiences.....found Australians very friendly and sociable...but I think, as with many things...it is how you conduct yourself too !
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Whinging Poms

Originally Posted by Mercedes
People who move to another country and wonder why it's taking so long to build up their circle of friends, tend to forget that their previous circle of friends was actually built up over a long period of time; usually around 10+ years.

It only feels longer in their new home, because they are having to start from scratch.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

hmm...it's a valid, even, empirical observation.

Do't get me wrong, some are decent, but you wonder about some of them - you have to.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
I think the opposite....from my experiences.....found Australians very friendly and sociable...but I think, as with many things...it is how you conduct yourself too !
I feel alot of the ones who really report a bad time of it - socially- have ultimately made a rod for their backs. I find australians 'laid back' and very tolerant but also quietly quite good judges of character - and therefore have no time for certain traits. If an aussie doesn't like you you don't get an invite etc. Aussies are not as rude and outspoken as people often report - generally they avoid conflict.

Have to be honest, there is something about alot of returning migrants -especially the ones who get qet really critical that just doesn't cut it. They're almost in denial about themselves too. And when you point it out they get really hurt about it.

You actually feel a bit sorry for them, and feel though, that if you met them, you'd like them.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They're almost in denial about themselves too. And when you point it out they get really hurt about it.
No no, absolutely not in denial. How dare you say such a thing?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Exile
No no, absolutely not in denial. How dare you say such a thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.