Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A 'whinger' in New Orleans explains!

A 'whinger' in New Orleans explains!

Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default A 'whinger' in New Orleans explains!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...772499483.html

OzTennis
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:09 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A 'whinger' in New Orleans explains!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I just keep coming back to the idea - what if various nations had offered to take their nationals out(send planes, food etc) and the US asked them to back down as they would look even worse i.e. others can get their people out why cant the US
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
I just keep coming back to the idea - what if various nations had offered to take their nationals out(send planes, food etc) and the US asked them to back down as they would look even worse i.e. others can get their people out why cant the US
The foreign countries might ask was your bin too laden to respond perhaps?

OzTennis
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough

I have been giving this situation a fair amount of thought over the last few days as I had a friend in the area who managed to evacuate in time to safer ground, but it got me thinking.

What exactly did these people who were trapped in New Orleans expect the Oz government to do? Did they think that there would be Australian soldiers searching the city with empty choppers standing by to take them out, what about the rest of the stranded people, just leave them there?

There were over 50 countries represented in New Orleans at the time of the disaster. It would of been chaos if there had been all these different soldiers marching through town looking for their people and leaving everyone else to fend for themselves.

Sure the Americans have been a bit slow in sorting this situation out but it is their country and their law, we must respect that.

The people who are now arriving back in their various countries of origin - and it is not just Australians - whinging about what their govt did or did not do are being totally unfair in my opinion and should just be glad to be home safe.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miked
I have been giving this situation a fair amount of thought over the last few days as I had a friend in the area who managed to evacuate in time to safer ground, but it got me thinking.

What exactly did these people who were trapped in New Orleans expect the Oz government to do? Did they think that there would be Australian soldiers searching the city with empty choppers standing by to take them out, what about the rest of the stranded people, just leave them there?

There were over 50 countries represented in New Orleans at the time of the disaster. It would of been chaos if there had been all these different soldiers marching through town looking for their people and leaving everyone else to fend for themselves.

Sure the Americans have been a bit slow in sorting this situation out but it is their country and their law, we must respect that.

The people who are now arriving back in their various countries of origin - and it is not just Australians - whinging about what their govt did or did not do are being totally unfair in my opinion and should just be glad to be home safe.
I agree with that last sentence especially. The US is not going to allow foreign soldiers en masse in their country anyway. It's a ridiculous suggestion. Here in the Uk there have been quite a few whingers, but also several people coming out to say how great the US armed forces were. One girl explained how they were evacuated out the sports dome secretly. This might sound bad, but you have to realise just how dangerous and violent NO is to uderstand the importance of the situation. Young foreign female students, among others including decent residents of the city were trapped in a place with the scum de la scum of NO.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Miked

I agree Mike, I'm sure that they had enough time to get out or get to higher ground what with all the warnings, we heard about it over here in Australia so why would they have not been informed in time in New Orleans, it is a very accessible place with plenty of big places within a few hours drive if nothing else.

Did they really think that the Americans would let foreign powers into the situation just to get there people out? What planet are they from??

But we were not there so......
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:18 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but big difference between having troops/peeople on the ground and allowing planes/choppers/supplies been made ready on the ground away from N.O.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:54 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

there are many that go on holiday who enjoy escaping constant news and don't buy the local rag, watch TV etc.

Last yr we had a hurricane (first one there for over 30yrs) and the first we knew of it was a warning note/call from the hotel and the travel operator of a tropical storm, then few hrs later that it was going to be a hurricane.

If these peoples' tour operators (if they had one) informed them (ie why put them on the flight to NO in the first place?) or the places they were staying, they might have been able to do something. Even then it was probably too late as I would guess that transport out would have been fully booked. (again a tour operator should have had a duty of care to find a means to get them out, or maybe they took the cheap option of 'it will be alright')
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:55 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
there are many that go on holiday who enjoy escaping constant news and don't buy the local rag, watch TV etc.

Last yr we had a hurricane (first one there for over 30yrs) and the first we knew of it was a warning note/call from the hotel and the travel operator of a tropical storm, then few hrs later that it was going to be a hurricane.

If these peoples' tour operators (if they had one) informed them (ie why put them on the flight to NO in the first place?) or the places they were staying, they might have been able to do something. Even then it was probably too late as I would guess that transport out would have been fully booked. (again a tour operator should have had a duty of care to find a means to get them out, or maybe they took the cheap option of 'it will be alright')

As you know financial implications always overides duty of care in this day and age !
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj

Most people believed that it would be downgraded, that always seems to be the general feeling whenever there is a weather warning in the states..I have been in Florida several times when severe hurricaine warnings were given, they all were downgraded at the last moment, people will take the warnings more seriously now I am sure.

Mrs S
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spalen
Most people believed that it would be downgraded, that always seems to be the general feeling whenever there is a weather warning in the states..I have been in Florida several times when severe hurricaine warnings were given, they all were downgraded at the last moment, people will take the warnings more seriously now I am sure.

Mrs S
The unfortunate thing, misinterpreted by many, is that a downgrade from category 5 to category 4 means the winds will be 140 mph not 150 mph!!

OzTennis
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:18 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The foreign countries might ask was your bin too laden to respond perhaps?

OzTennis
Very subtle (had to read it twice..!!)...
... but very poignant also. Food for thought...

RT.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
The US is not going to allow foreign soldiers en masse in their country anyway.
Funny that - could have sworn I saw a load of para's, fresh out of Baghad, patrolling with the 82nd Airborne on CH4 news last night.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:21 pm
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by Hutch
Funny that - could have sworn I saw a load of para's, fresh out of Baghad, patrolling with the 82nd Airborne on CH4 news last night.
Not in America you didnt.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seang
Not in America you didnt.
Yes, I saw it too. There were American airborne soldiers patrolling, Northern Ireland style in brick formations.
It was a little surreal to see this on American soil but there they were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.