Reload this Page >

While My Guitar Gently Weeps at Home??? The Sequel

While My Guitar Gently Weeps at Home??? The Sequel

Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

morganj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default While My Guitar Gently Weeps at Home??? The Sequel

Guys,

For all those budding and experienced musicians out there!

I've got a thread on the Immigration forum for importing acoustic guitars and nearly cr*pped myself when I read some of the guidelines by Aussie Quarantine website (aqis). :scared:

Is there no way to prevent the pending torture on my lovely guitar?

Can you please give me the lowdown on importing guitars?

Link: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=226852

Thanks all!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

pop to the top - anyone out there know?
Old Apr 26th 2004, 6:22 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: While My Guitar Gently Weeps at Home??? The Sequel

Originally posted by morganj
Guys,

I've got a thread on the Immigration forum for importing acoustic guitars and nearly cr*pped myself when I read some of the guidelines by Aussie Quarantine website (aqis). :scared:

Thanks all!
Can't help, and more's the pity, as we will have the same problem, so I'd like to know, too. Have been told 'don't bother' about pianos - so will be on the prowl for a decent Concert Grand once we arrive in Melbourne; bet they cost a *small fortune* there, though.....

Maybe one option is simply to board the plane carrying the guitar, & regale the passengers/crew with a jolly song or two, to while away the long journey (or hand said instrument to the nearest nun, as in the movie 'Airplane')....

Geezzzz....

Anya.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 6:53 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

As i am tone deaf and musically challenged, this problem would never enter my life, but its an interesting question. Would a guitar be allowed as hand luggage due to its length and odd shape?
Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:09 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by morganj
Guys,

Thanks all!
Do a search for the poster "theguitardoctor" and PM him he should be able to give you some info.Doesnt post to much now but does seem to be around every now and again so possibly he will pick up your PM and reply.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:12 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
or hand said instrument to the nearest nun, as in the movie 'Airplane'....
Anya, that's your second Airplane gag this week. Have you been digging the old classics out again?

PS I've got Airplane and Airplane 2 on DVD if you need reminding just how great these films are
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help, and more's the pity, as we will have the same problem, so I'd like to know, too. Have been told 'don't bother' about pianos - so will be on the prowl for a decent Concert Grand once we arrive in Melbourne; bet they cost a *small fortune* there, though.....

Maybe one option is simply to board the plane carrying the guitar, & regale the passengers/crew with a jolly song or two, to while away the long journey (or hand said instrument to the nearest nun, as in the movie 'Airplane')....

Geezzzz....

Anya.
Aww bother - why not pianos? I've been thinking of taking mine and this is the first I heard!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:16 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by wmoore
Anya, that's your second Airplane gag this week. Have you been digging the old classics out again?

PS I've got Airplane and Airplane 2 on DVD if you need reminding just how great these films are
I just love Airplane - my fave movie. I used to be able to recite whole chunks of it. A year or so back I was flying from SFO to Seattle & there was a guy with a guitar on the plane, also a nun, and a fish option on the menu, so everyone was in hysterics as you can imagine....

Anya.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I just love Airplane - my fave movie. I used to be able to recite whole chunks of it. A year or so back I was flying from SFO to Seattle & there was a guy with a guitar on the plane, also a nun, and a fish option on the menu, so everyone was in hysterics as you can imagine....

Anya.
All you needed was a doctor called Shirley.....
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:20 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by Larissa
Aww bother - why not pianos? I've been thinking of taking mine and this is the first I heard!
Apparently being put in the container all that time's horrible for them; the poor things sweat & you can never get them really in tune again (so I'm told)....

What we need is some of Hev's Tupperware to ship them in

Also my Mom has a theory that the Northern European pianos (eg Steinways, Bosies etc) never sound right in warmer climes anyway.

YIKES! Another big expense then...

Anya.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:39 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Oh shit - hubby's precious accoustic has been sitting in warehouses and containers for the past nine weeks and arrived in NZ yesterday - we get out mitts on it in a couple of weeks.

I don't think I will tell him about this thread.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Apparently being put in the container all that time's horrible for them; the poor things sweat & you can never get them really in tune again (so I'm told)....

What we need is some of Hev's Tupperware to ship them in

Also my Mom has a theory that the Northern European pianos (eg Steinways, Bosies etc) never sound right in warmer climes anyway.

YIKES! Another big expense then...

Anya.
I'm sure I saw a site for vacuum packing huge items (e.g. motorbikes etc) when I was going through my vacu-storage obsessive thing... so I will investigate... don't hold your breath though!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Plus you could get some of those big bags of silica gel... thinking about it, my mate took her piano.. I will have to ask her
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

morganj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys and gals for the input!

I will talk with TheGuitarDoctor and let you know if I get some feedback. I’ve also sent an email to the Quarantine group and will await a succinct summary of their massive thesis on the properties and intricacies of wood. Like “Can I take my guitar unscathed?� Yes or No!

If you look on the other thread some people have talked about slinging the guitar on their back or even just carrying it through customs without anything to declare. I'm not sure I'd risk that since I'm unsure of the legitimacy of this. But then if not the flight crew, your could always regale the customs and exercise workers with a rendition of Kumbaya? Maybe they won’t be that entertained at all and will let you though on malice with intent of murder!!! ;D

Here's the other link:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...postid=1389632
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Bring as many guitars in to Oz as you wish. We did. It's preserved wood so no dramas. Acoustic guitar has travelled around the world, and yes it still sounds OK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.