Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where would you go on a road trip?

Wikiposts

Where would you go on a road trip?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:38 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you go on a road trip?

Originally Posted by A dogs life
If I was going to do a road trip of Oz, I'd go for all the literal name places. Obviously start with Deception Bay, then move onto Mount Hopeless, a quick visit to Mount Despair, and then finish at Lake Disappointment.

I didn't say it would be a fun road trip

Those are all real places BTW,
You need to get out more, you've clearly got pre-natal depression.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:04 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Ive always fancied a tour of all the Coles in Northern Territory. ......
I like your thinking, but let's do the shortenend Pommie version - visit all the Marks and Spencer stores in Australia ......

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Stan - that's the sort of itinery I had planned in my head to start with, I absolutely loved the Daintree & the area north of Port Douglas last time we were up there, but camping (or staying somewhere a bit remote) with the kids & the crocodiles is a bit :scared: .
We camped with the kids at Noah Beach this year (near cape trib) and had a great time. Didn't bother going for a moonlight stroll along the beach though!!! :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:53 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Brian - what did you do? All of the stuff that webgum mentioned? All in one go?

Very much so and alot more. Up towards Darwin and Leitchfield Park and Adelaide River.

Kakadu can be really good, but you want to make sure you time that well cos if there has not been rain around for some time then they will be falls without the water and there are some amazing ones.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you take your family on holiday in Australia if you could take a caravan or go camping & what would you do/see there?

Edit: assume its June/July (winter, so not too hot to go away from the coast) & you can spend 3 - 4 weeks doing it
About 15 years ago in another life, I sprung a job in WA and they paid my family way over from Canberra and ditto @ the end of the contract. Which wasn't bad for a State Govt.

I did my homework and worked out that they either paid the airfare over or you could travel be Indian Pacific and your car was shipped with you. You guessed it, we went over by train. My daughter was tickled pink, we got about 6,000km on a tank of petrol.

After three years of IT work for various State Govt agencies we decided to call it a day so we shipped our gear back to Canberra and drove back via the top end. We had a Mazda 323 and hooked up a trailer and camped all the way back. The trip took about 7 weeks. We saw Mt Augustus which is about twice the size of Uluru but it isn't a boulder type rock like U is, its more a syncline type rock. We did the plantatations of Carnarvon, Marble Bar, Ningaloo and Exmouth, Broome & Cape Leveque and from Halls Creek chartered a plane and went and had a look at the Bungle Bungles and Wolf Crater. We saw the Ord River Dam and various spots around there. Katherine and the Gorges, Mataranka, Litchfield and Kakadu NPs (including the crocs) Darwin. Down through the centre of NT and across to Camooweal and over to Mt Isa, then it was down one of the Highways (wide dirt roads) to check out Longreach and the Dinosaur stampede outside Winton and as my children's names were Tara and Myles we detoured through those towns in Qld. As Myles was 4 and couldn't read he was pretty chuffed that we drove through his town. Onto the Far North Coast of NSW (God's own country) then down the New England Highway to the Hunter Valley for a week or so rest.

It was a great trip.