Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to visit in Australia

Where to visit in Australia

Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

brindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant future
Default Where to visit in Australia

We are considering emmigrating. Def like the look of New Zealand, but know nothing about Australia. We are hoping to visit next year.
As we love the dramatic landscapes etc of NZ are there any areas similar in Australia. We do not want to be living in a city,but the closer we are the better for work opportunities. Would like a rural area with house and some land for the dogs. Not too hot. Been reading up on Melbourne area, Queensland and Perth.
Any Advice would be great as I have no idea, but do not want to rule OZ out if there are areas similar to that of NZ.
Thanks All Katrina
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to visit in Australia

Originally Posted by brindy
We are considering emmigrating. Def like the look of New Zealand, but know nothing about Australia. We are hoping to visit next year.
As we love the dramatic landscapes etc of NZ are there any areas similar in Australia. We do not want to be living in a city,but the closer we are the better for work opportunities. Would like a rural area with house and some land for the dogs. Not too hot. Been reading up on Melbourne area, Queensland and Perth.
Any Advice would be great as I have no idea, but do not want to rule OZ out if there are areas similar to that of NZ.
Thanks All Katrina
You're not going to find an NZ landscape in QLD or WA. May be close in areas of Victora and NSW but Tassie is likely to be closest.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

If you like New Zealand, and you want somewhere which has some of the qualities of NZ but want to be in Australia, then it has to be the state of Victoria or some parts of NSW.

I think you would like the area in and around Melbourne. There are so many fantastic places to visit and explore when you are in the area check out

1. Wilsons Promontory
2. Phillip Island
3. Mornington Peninsula
4. Yarra Yalley
5. The Grampian's National Park (probably my favourite NP in Australia)
6. Great Ocean Road

There are so many places in and around Victoria that are great places to visit and will give you the feeling that is a bit similar to NZ.

Have a look at this website from the RACV which lists the 101 things to do as voted by people who live in Victoria - http://www.101victoria.com.au/

I have written a 22 page word doc for friends who are coming over to visit, if you send me a pm, I will email it to you and it gives you more information on where to go on a driving tour between Sydney and Melbourne via the coast road and to Kosciusko National Park in the mountains

Hope this helps

AberJazz
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

brindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You're not going to find an NZ landscape in QLD or WA. May be close in areas of Victora and NSW but Tassie is likely to be closest.
Thanks for your advice. Any specific areas in NSW that may be of interest. What is so different in respect of landscape etc in Australia to NZ.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AberJazz
Hello

If you like New Zealand, and you want somewhere which has some of the qualities of NZ but want to be in Australia, then it has to be the state of Victoria or some parts of NSW.

I think you would like the area in and around Melbourne. There are so many fantastic places to visit and explore when you are in the area check out

1. Wilsons Promontory
2. Phillip Island
3. Mornington Peninsula
4. Yarra Yalley
5. The Grampian's National Park (probably my favourite NP in Australia)
6. Great Ocean Road

There are so many places in and around Victoria that are great places to visit and will give you the feeling that is a bit similar to NZ.

Have a look at this website from the RACV which lists the 101 things to do as voted by people who live in Victoria - http://www.101victoria.com.au/

I have written a 22 page word doc for friends who are coming over to visit, if you send me a pm, I will email it to you and it gives you more information on where to go on a driving tour between Sydney and Melbourne via the coast road and to Kosciusko National Park in the mountains

Hope this helps

AberJazz
Thanks my post has just crossed with yours. Thats great help will pm you.
K
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Been doing a bit of research. I would like to live in a rural type of area. Love taking my dogs out so would like wide open spaces, not overcrowded.
Where are the nice places that would suit me in NSW. Any not too far from Sydney?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brindy
Been doing a bit of research. I would like to live in a rural type of area. Love taking my dogs out so would like wide open spaces, not overcrowded.
Where are the nice places that would suit me in NSW. Any not too far from Sydney?
Blue Mountains or the Southern Highlands would meet your requirements.