Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to study? UQ or USyd - Advice please!

Where to study? UQ or USyd - Advice please!

Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough
Default Where to study? UQ or USyd - Advice please!

I will be returning to oz next year and will hopefully be embarking on a PhD (I am an Australian citizen - dual nataionality, so no visa / fee issues). And I am stuck between choosing Sydney University or University of Queensland (in Brisbane).

I will have my partner in tow so that has to be a consideration (i.e. which will be better for him with regard to work etc) and he works in IT support at the moment. On the academic side they both have positives and negatives with regard to the area I wish to study and I just can't seem to make up my mind!

Is there anyone out there studying at either uni that can give me any insight at all?! My initial gut feeling was to go with Sydney as I love the city, but I also know its so much more expensive than Brisbane and also Brisbane is much closer to my family (3.5 hour drive rather than a flight). HELP!

Any thoughts at all really appreciated - I'm off to visit both in May, and through my initial email contact with the unis they both seem really cool.

Thanks!

Sammy
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to study? UQ or USyd - Advice please!

Originally Posted by Sammy-G
I will be returning to oz next year and will hopefully be embarking on a PhD (I am an Australian citizen - dual nataionality, so no visa / fee issues). And I am stuck between choosing Sydney University or University of Queensland (in Brisbane).

I will have my partner in tow so that has to be a consideration (i.e. which will be better for him with regard to work etc) and he works in IT support at the moment. On the academic side they both have positives and negatives with regard to the area I wish to study and I just can't seem to make up my mind!

Is there anyone out there studying at either uni that can give me any insight at all?! My initial gut feeling was to go with Sydney as I love the city, but I also know its so much more expensive than Brisbane and also Brisbane is much closer to my family (3.5 hour drive rather than a flight). HELP!

Any thoughts at all really appreciated - I'm off to visit both in May, and through my initial email contact with the unis they both seem really cool.

Thanks!

Sammy
Was just going to say cost of accommodation but you already did Very hard to say when it's not me, but could you not do a pluses and minuses sheet for each, cover everything and see which comes up with more pluses?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Was just going to say cost of accommodation but you already did Very hard to say when it's not me, but could you not do a pluses and minuses sheet for each, cover everything and see which comes up with more pluses?
Thanks for that moneypen - i have taken your advice and tried this today (had previously thought just running through them in my head would be enough), and it has helped me to at least realise what i want from the experience. Still having a problem weighing up the two - boils down to convenience for family (and cheaper option) against the place i have more of a 'gut' feeling for.

anyone with any experience of either uni? I'd love to hear any thoughts.

Sammy
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about USyd, but UQ St lucia is truely beautiful.

have wandered round UQ a fair bit with a coup0le of friends who are studying there/ going to study there.... and it's got such a nice atmosphere.

if i wasn't already going somewhere else (which is better for my course) i would have gone to UQ hands down.

like i said i can't compare to USyd... if i were in your position i would wait until i'd spent a bit of time (like a day) at each of the uni's before picking one!

i had a couple of places to pick from on the GC, in brisbane and in melbourne. for me melbourne was closer to family - but it just didn't feel right... so brisbane this year and then GC next year. i would have gone to UMelb/ Monash if i hadn't taken the time to visit UQ/Bond up here....

good luck!!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YoSemite
I don't know anything about USyd, but UQ St lucia is truely beautiful.

have wandered round UQ a fair bit with a coup0le of friends who are studying there/ going to study there.... and it's got such a nice atmosphere.

if i wasn't already going somewhere else (which is better for my course) i would have gone to UQ hands down.

like i said i can't compare to USyd... if i were in your position i would wait until i'd spent a bit of time (like a day) at each of the uni's before picking one!

i had a couple of places to pick from on the GC, in brisbane and in melbourne. for me melbourne was closer to family - but it just didn't feel right... so brisbane this year and then GC next year. i would have gone to UMelb/ Monash if i hadn't taken the time to visit UQ/Bond up here....

good luck!!
Thanks for that YoSemite

Its just really useful to hear how others feel - I'm visiting both in May and will allow myself an extra day to also drive around the suburbs close to each uni to see if i like the general area too - I'm hoping that i'll get 'the feeling' from one or the other - its just soo hard when both seem really cool.

what are you studying?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

That's also really sensible advice about spending a whole day at each - it hadn't really crossed my mind - would prob just have gone to my meetings and had a quick look around then left, but a whole day would really enable me to get more of a feel for the place.

thanks again!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I've got 8 months left on a tertiary prep course (which i decided to do because i thought it would ease me back into studying.... more like dumping me in the deep end!)

was meant to be off to UQ to do Social Work... have now swapped to Bond Uni (GC) to do Law
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

a whole day would really enable me to get more of a feel for the place.
we hit the libraries, the cafe's, student union complex, art gallery, sports centre, and the faculty building that my friend was attached to.

we were there from about 10am untill dinner time just soaking up the atmosphere. it was about the 4th week of term so still quite busy, but it didn't feel crowded.

can highly recommend doing a wee visit
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:57 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree with Yosemite.

I studied at QUT before I got my PR and had to go to UQ St Lucia to do the IELTS. It is truly a beatiful place. Big with parks and ponds and lots of sports facilities. I have never been to University of Sydney so can not help you.

Erik
Old Apr 8th 2006, 8:42 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Where to study? UQ or USyd - Advice please!

Thanks!

Sammy
Apply for Australian Postgraduate Award (APA).Unimelb is also a good choice
Old Apr 9th 2006, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

we hit the libraries, the cafe's, student union complex, art gallery, sports centre, and the faculty building that my friend was attached to.

we were there from about 10am untill dinner time just soaking up the atmosphere. it was about the 4th week of term so still quite busy, but it didn't feel crowded.

can highly recommend doing a wee visit
Thanks fot that YoSemite - I'm getting rather excited now! Good luck with your law degree!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Apply for Australian Postgraduate Award (APA).Unimelb is also a good choice
Yeh Unimelb has a fantastic reputation, but having been away from my family for so long Sydney is about as far as I'm willing to go - as I can still get a flight from Sydney into my local airport which is 5min from dads.

Are you able to explain the Australian Postgraduate Award and how it works to me?

Also do you (or anyone else) know much about the RTS scheme(Research Training Scheme)? From what I can tell I would be eligible, but I can't find any information that really pins down exactly how it functions. Its just so different from the postgraduate funding system here in the UK (what there is of it any way!).

Thanks for any info

Sammy
Old Apr 9th 2006, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
I have to agree with Yosemite.

I studied at QUT before I got my PR and had to go to UQ St Lucia to do the IELTS. It is truly a beatiful place. Big with parks and ponds and lots of sports facilities. I have never been to University of Sydney so can not help you.

Erik
It does sound fantastic - do you (or anyone else) know what the surrounding areas are like living-wise? (i.e. places to avoid... etc)
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:51 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Where to study? UQ or USyd - Advice please!

Yeh Unimelb has a fantastic reputation, but having been away from my family for so long Sydney is about as far as I'm willing to go - as I can still get a flight from Sydney into my local airport which is 5min from dads.

Are you able to explain the Australian Postgraduate Award and how it works to me?

Also do you (or anyone else) know much about the RTS scheme(Research Training Scheme)? From what I can tell I would be eligible, but I can't find any information that really pins down exactly how it functions. Its just so different from the postgraduate funding system here in the UK (what there is of it any way!).

Thanks for any info

Sammy
All PR and citizens are eligible to obtain RTS place for postguaduate research degrees like Phd or Masters by research.It depends upon the uni and its research reputation, if you are going to unimelb,unsw,usyd,anu your RTS place is 100% confirmed.If you are able to obtain APA scholarship it means you will get 100% confirmed RTS place(in any uni of your choice)+ a stipend of AUD$1500 tax free for living as living allowance.You need a research proposal to apply for APA.

For postguaduate degree by coursework you need FEE-HELP or PELS loan.

I hope this helps!!!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smurtaza
All PR and citizens are eligible to obtain RTS place for postguaduate research degrees like Phd or Masters by research.It depends upon the uni and its research reputation, if you are going to unimelb,unsw,usyd,anu your RTS place is 100% confirmed.If you are able to obtain APA scholarship it means you will get 100% confirmed RTS place(in any uni of your choice)+ a stipend of AUD$1500 tax free for living as living allowance.You need a research proposal to apply for APA.

For postguaduate degree by coursework you need FEE-HELP or PELS loan.

I hope this helps!!!
It does help! Its been so confusing trawling through all the websites trying to get a grip on a system that is quite different from UK. Its the terminology more than anything that gets me!

So going by what you say would RTS at UQ not be 100% confirmed? The APA sounds like a good option to at least try applying for - I'm already starting work on a proposal and plan to devote quite a bit of time to it this summer while i still have some access to uni of london library (just finishing my UK degree).

With regard to postgrad degree by coursework - would only be something i would consider if stipulated as necessary prior to getting onto a research degree - my feedback so far has been that as long as i achieve my predicted grade for degree i should be able to bypass that, but u never know what might happen! Is FEE-HELP / PELS loan easy to apply for and recieve (if it did come to worst case scenario).

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Sammy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.