Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to stay while looking for a place to rent??

where to stay while looking for a place to rent??

Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

helly80 will become famous soon enoughhelly80 will become famous soon enough
Default where to stay while looking for a place to rent??

We're just about to book our flights and need to now decide where we'll stay when we first arrive. We thought 1 week would be enough but I now realise we'll need to give ourselves about 4 weeks realistically. The problem is that this takes us right through the xmas period. someone suggested a caravan park, others says services apartments/hotel. my worry is that we'll book for 4 weeks then find a place to rent and lose money or we'll only book for 2 weeks and NOT find a place to rent then struggle to extend our stay in the short term place. ahhhh what to do? all ideas/advice greatly appreciated
Helen x
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to stay while looking for a place to rent??

Originally Posted by helly80
We're just about to book our flights and need to now decide where we'll stay when we first arrive. We thought 1 week would be enough but I now realise we'll need to give ourselves about 4 weeks realistically. The problem is that this takes us right through the xmas period. someone suggested a caravan park, others says services apartments/hotel. my worry is that we'll book for 4 weeks then find a place to rent and lose money or we'll only book for 2 weeks and NOT find a place to rent then struggle to extend our stay in the short term place. ahhhh what to do? all ideas/advice greatly appreciated
Helen x
if you tell us where your going it might help people give you some direction

steve
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

melbourne, partner has job in glen waverley so it will be round about that area
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Try Gumtree too.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

We're living in Mt Waverley (next to Glen Waverley). We love the area - rentals around here start at about $400 per week and go up. Depends how many bedrooms you need, whether you want a new townhouse or an older place, etc. Close to the motorway, parks, etc. If you want specifics, feel free to ask.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

thanks, had a look at gumtree and there's some good places!

we're looking for at least 2 bedrooms, not particular about type of house really. have seen a few online for about $350 a week but a lot of people say they look better online than they are in real life!!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helly80
thanks, had a look at gumtree and there's some good places!

we're looking for at least 2 bedrooms, not particular about type of house really. have seen a few online for about $350 a week but a lot of people say they look better online than they are in real life!!
Yeah, they have some really creative real estate photographers over here

If you see something online in this area, I'd be happy to do a quick drive past or let you know my thoughts on the street/area if that's any help.

For me looking at houses either to rent or buy, I tend to get a gut feel from being in the area and what the street looks like.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Aw Thanks so much that's really nice of you to offer to do that! Will keep on looking and bear your kind offer in mind if need be! These forums so great! X
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Hi

We are also looking for a rental at the minute, close to waverley. Its not as easy as I thought! Yes I agree the real estate photographers are miracle workers, we looked at a few places and to be honest the photos looked like they had been taken 5 years ago.

It can also be expensive in that area, I have widened the search to Mulgrave, Wheelers Hill and Rowville they are approx about 15mins from waverley.

Good Luck with the search,

Andrea