Reload this Page >

Where to start??? Wanting to move to Oz

Where to start??? Wanting to move to Oz

Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:30 am
Just Joined

LILSTACEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start??? Wanting to move to Oz

Hi,

I am a newly qualified Midwife and my partner is a fabricator welder, with 20 years experience. We are considering a move to Oz, as we have been for the past 5 years, but unsure what part would be best suited to us?

I would like to be close to a city (having grown up in London) but my partner would like somewhere that isn't constantly hot, a seasonal place if you will.

If I were single, I would just travel to Oz and sort out everything on the go. But because we have children, it would all need to be arranged beforehand. So how do people arrange accommodation when they emigrate?

I know I probably sound silly, but this is all new to me and I'm unsure where to start Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice
Default Re: Where to start??? Wanting to move to Oz

Originally Posted by LILSTACEY
Hi,

I am a newly qualified Midwife and my partner is a fabricator welder, with 20 years experience. We are considering a move to Oz, as we have been for the past 5 years, but unsure what part would be best suited to us?

I would like to be close to a city (having grown up in London) but my partner would like somewhere that isn't constantly hot, a seasonal place if you will.

If I were single, I would just travel to Oz and sort out everything on the go. But because we have children, it would all need to be arranged beforehand. So how do people arrange accommodation when they emigrate?

I know I probably sound silly, but this is all new to me and I'm unsure where to start Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Depends what you mean by hot. Some cities can be pretty humid in the summer and never get that cold in winter, others have cold winters but get much hotter in the summer. Hobart is probably the best city for heat and humidity avoidance!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

generally speaking the further south east you go the more seasonal variation there will be. Melbourne or Sydney are the obvious big city choices and maybe Adelaide.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Start with whether you're eligible for a visa. www.immi.gov.au Once you've established what visa you may be eligible for you can start looking at where you might like to live.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Scottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really nice

Hi,

you will have absolutely no problem find work..

if you look on www.seek.com.au look under; boiler maker (welder) he can earn good money in aus as can nurses if you do it right.

sydney or melbourne will be your best bet for a city with seasons.

as for somewhere to live; you might be best to lok at a short term let and have a look around www.realestate.com.au

good luck
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scottoir
you will have absolutely no problem find work..

if you look on www.seek.com.au look under; boiler maker (welder) he can earn good money in aus as can nurses if you do it right.

sydney or melbourne will be your best bet for a city with seasons.

as for somewhere to live; you might be best to lok at a short term let and have a look around www.realestate.com.au

good luck

HI
intested in this post and the comment " so can nurses if you do it right " what does this mean.
as a nurse I am interested in knowing what this implies.

thanks
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hi lilstacey,

We have been here 5 years now and i secured a job to go to before leaving (I am a nurse, lasted 5 months , worst job i ever had, but anyway, we stayed in a caravan site for approx six weeks while i worked and my husband looked for rentals each day. The caravan site was nice, felt like a holiday.
We had researched the suburbs we wanted to live (our priority was good public schooling as we couldn't afford private education). It was difficult to get a rental in these suburbs, we targeted three suburbs with good schools, eventually got a rental in one, (I think it was the fact that we gave six months rent in advance that swung it).
My husband found a job approx 5 months later (he is a printer and 5 years later still working in same place).
I also found a better job, and have been there nearly 5 years.
I live in Melbourne and like the fact there is lots of choice of hosps and work.
We still live in the same suburb which we like, but cant afford to buy there, as good schools often mean high house prices.
Goodluck

Last edited by Margaret3; Jun 19th 2012 at 7:38 am.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:33 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with those who say try Sydney and Melbourne as the best city climates.

If he hates it hot, avoid Darwin and Brisbane.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Agree with those who say try Sydney and Melbourne as the best city climates.

If he hates it hot, avoid Darwin and Brisbane.
Plus Cairns, Perth, Adelaide.... Can be hot as hell in summer.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Scottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really nice

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
HI
intested in this post and the comment " so can nurses if you do it right " what does this mean.
as a nurse I am interested in knowing what this implies.

thanks
implies theres a right way to look for work and a wrong way..not just nursing... my partner recruited over 30 uk /irish nurses and i found that many were unhappy at work largely cos they didnt do enough research first.. ending up tied to a department they dont want to work in.

i would suggest doing agency/bank shifts anywhere before signing a perm contract.. meet management/colleagues first.. be weary of lone worker issues in outback/isolated areas.. cost of living etc...

i think nurses are great..

why are you so defensive? have you been poorly treated?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

implies theres a right way to look for work and a wrong way..not just nursing... my partner recruited over 30 uk /irish nurses and i found that many were unhappy at work largely cos they didnt do enough research first.. ending up tied to a department they dont want to work in.

i would suggest doing agency/bank shifts anywhere before signing a perm contract.. meet management/colleagues first.. be weary of lone worker issues in outback/isolated areas.. cost of living etc...

Perhaps am reading it wrong, but i read it as meaning " right way to earn more money"

I personally work permenant part-time in a public hospital and on my days off do agency or casual (in the private hospitals) and i find that works best for me financially.
I work with nurses who work 2 days in public in one hosp and 2 days in another, which means they can salary package more and that works for them.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:40 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

What are you looking for in a city? "Having grown up in London" could mean Kensington, Chelsea, Bethnell Green or Hampstead - all very different types of area and lifestyle. Do you want boutique shops, good restaurants, live theatre, art galleries, opera? Or just the feel of living in a multicultural densely populated area?

People talk about living in Sydney or Melbourne which can mean anything from Surry Hills to Liverpool, South Melbourne to Doncaster - again, all very different. You need to define your requirements a lot better before you can get any advice which is useful.

Everywhere in Australia has the potential to be hotter on average than the UK.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
sorry my post was not meant to be defensive or anything else.
as someone starting out on this process i was just interested in what you classed as the right way to get a good job and earn good money, advice from someone who is further ahead of me in the process is always useful and more to the point important when moving as a family.

oh yeah and as nurses havent we all been poorly treated at one stage or another but we keep smiling!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Perhaps am reading it wrong, but i read it as meaning " right way to earn more money"

I personally work permenant part-time in a public hospital and on my days off do agency or casual (in the private hospitals) and i find that works best for me financially.
I work with nurses who work 2 days in public in one hosp and 2 days in another, which means they can salary package more and that works for them.
was just sloppy syntax on my part..
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
HI
sorry my post was not meant to be defensive or anything else.
as someone starting out on this process i was just interested in what you classed as the right way to get a good job and earn good money, advice from someone who is further ahead of me in the process is always useful and more to the point important when moving as a family.

oh yeah and as nurses havent we all been poorly treated at one stage or another but we keep smiling!
no worries, perhaps it is i who sees controversy where there is none. we can always blame the ambiguity of the written word ..

Margaret3 seems to know her onions with regards to this stuff.. tax and salary packaging is one subject you would do well to fully get your head round..

agency work - weekends/nights in particular - can be a great way to boost the packet, but just bee forever mindful of those tax brackets...

perm part time contracts are popular; they provide a minimum amount of hours and some flexibility .. that can work well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.