Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to start..............? VISA APPROVED....HELP!!!

Where to start..............? VISA APPROVED....HELP!!!

Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start..............? VISA APPROVED....HELP!!!

OK... we got our PR approved TODAY! YaY but OMG This means that there is nothing stopping us now! I just don't have the first idea where to start

We have been very busy since we applied back in June 08, so unlike many we do not have all this planned out. Five months ago we had our 3rd child but it means that we have not stopped, as well as DH was made redundant and it took months of hard graft to get a job (albeit a contract role). We have no house to sell, so that's easy and are looking at Brisbane but will consider Melbourne and possibly Perth.

So my questions.......

1) What's the best bank?
2) Best way/place to transfer currency
3) Where does everyone stay when they arrive? (MIL is making a huge deal about how we'll have to stay in a hotel for 3 months)
4) best airline prices/extra baggage allowance etc.
5) helpful web sites
6) House/rental web sites (we will probably move to Brisbane)

I do appreciate that a lot of this may have been asked so people may have links but it would be nice to hear from everyone, as my head really is spinning We will look to move a.s.a.p! I know there is lots of wisdom out there!

Any help gratefully received, even if it's just pointing us in the right direction

Thanks, Pippa

Last edited by Pippa1972; Feb 5th 2009 at 12:15 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:11 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where to start..............? VISA APPROVED....HELP!!!

A lot of your questions you will get multiple answers for, everyone has their favourites.

1. We use Westpac, have loved them so far although others might disagree.
2. We used Ozforex and thought they were fantastic. Usually Ozforex and HiFX are the two most recommended currency exchange services.
3. I would get a furnished holiday rental for a week or two so that you have time to find a long term rental.
4. Airlines, I have no idea. We flew from Canada not the UK so can't comment.
5. The most helpful website by far has been this one. You'll find all the info and help you need on here.
6. House rental websites:
www.realestate.com.au
There's tabs at the top for buying, renting, etc. Just click on renting and then the map to narrow down the area. You need to have a rough idea of suburbs though to get an idea for rent.

You'll also find this map website helpful to figure out where all the suburbs are.
www.whereis.com.au

Lastly, congratulations on the visa!

And before I forget it is 11pm Brisbane time so you probably won't get too many responses for quite a while because everyone will be sleeping.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pippa1972

Congratulations

1) What's the best bank?
We use westpac, opened it on the internet in the UK
2) Best way/place to transfer currency
Used HIFX
3) Where does everyone stay when they arrive? (MIL is making a huge deal about how we'll have to stay in a hotel for 3 months)
Had 2 weeks in holiday accommodation and 2 weeks at a friends, if we hadn't been able to stay with them we would have booked another week at holiday place
4) best airline prices/extra baggage allowance etc.
Went with Singapore and got 40kg's each on a one way ticket
5) helpful web sites
BE of course and ourbrisbane.com
Realestate.com.au
Take your time looking for rentals, a lot of them will look nothing like the pictures on the websites. Be prepared to find 10 other couples etc looking round at the same time as well. On the map they may look close to the CBD but public transport can be a bit hit and miss.

ps some of us in Brizzy can stay awake after 9pm
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Take your time looking for rentals, a lot of them will look nothing like the pictures on the websites. Be prepared to find 10 other couples etc looking round at the same time as well. On the map they may look close to the CBD but public transport can be a bit hit and miss.

There are a few nocturnal types around aren't there

1) What's the best bank? ANZ
2) Best way/place to transfer currency www.tranzfers.com
4) best airline prices/extra baggage allowance etc. www.expedia.co.uk If you're looking for extra baggage you will almost certainly have to fly Singapore Airlines.
5) helpful web sites http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
www.realestatecom.au have a look at www.ourbrisbane.com
and http://www.transinfo.qld.gov.au/ alongside too to see how easy it is to get to suburbs by public transport.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

fairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to all

hi
congrats pippa
we travel on our 457 in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!1

does anyone know how to tranasfer money when you havent got an aussie bank yet????
we have opened a hsbc here but they said i havent enough time to open the aussie one before i go and will need to do it there, can i then online transfer funds from that account to the agent to the aussie account??
thanks
natxx
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by fairystar
hi
congrats pippa
we travel on our 457 in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!1

does anyone know how to tranasfer money when you havent got an aussie bank yet????
we have opened a hsbc here but they said i havent enough time to open the aussie one before i go and will need to do it there, can i then online transfer funds from that account to the agent to the aussie account??
thanks
natxx
Snap
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:33 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TMRE
Yes, but not may of us after 11pm!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I will look into the links

So excited.... can't wait now