Where to start?

Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

MO_90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

Hello everyone, first time poster here looking for some help and advice.

My wife and I have been talking about emigrating over to Western Australia but have done nothing other than talk about how nice it would be. We want to come over and work and if we like it there move permanently if allowed to do so.

So where did everyone else start? Is there a specific recruitment agency for Brits that we should contact?

Here's our background:

Both of us are in our early 30s with two daughters under 10 years old.

Wife is a qualified nurse but has been working as a health visitor for 2 years after going back to uni for her master's degree.

I'm an electrical technician, HNC is my highest qualification along with engineering apprenticeship papers, 18th edition etc.

I'll be doing some of my own research this week but any advice from people on here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th 2023, 8:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by MO_90

My wife and I have been talking about emigrating over to Western Australia but have done nothing other than talk about how nice it would be. We want to come over and work and if we like it there move permanently if allowed to do so.

So where did everyone else start? Is there a specific recruitment agency for Brits that we should contact?

Here's our background:

Wife is a qualified nurse but has been working as a health visitor for 2 years after going back to uni for her master's degree.

I'm an electrical technician, HNC is my highest qualification along with engineering apprenticeship papers, 18th edition etc.

I'll be doing some of my own research this week but any advice from people on here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The place to start is the Australian Immigration website
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder

That will outline possible visas, and whether you will need a sponsor, or a job to go to.

There are also many registered migration agents around. Make sure is you use one they are registered with MARA. My personal recommendation is George Lombard, https://playfair.com.au/team/george-lombard/ bu a quick browse on the forum will fid you several other good ones.

And get saving. Migration these days is eye-wateringly expensive.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's our background:

Thanks!
Hi, if I were you I would apply for a permanent visa, you can work straight away and with children it’s always better knowing that if you don’t like it you can leave when you want rather than loving it and having to leave because your on a temp visa etc, My DH and I could of applied with both our skill sets but it was easier to apply with one of my husbands skill sets which was an electrician (he did not work in that field when we arrived in Perth WA). So if it was me applying in your situation I would find out with skill set is easier/quickest to apply with and apply in that skill, the rest of your family will also then be awarded a visa, it is easy enough to apply be yourself and to save the cost of an agent. Good luck with everything you will have great advice from others in this site. Ps why WA ? ….
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Recruitment is probably going to be well down the track for you. Go for a permanent visa - temporary ones are far more risky, especially when you have kids - there is no guarantee that it will become permanent and many have found themselves unwillingly going home, not to mention potentially more expensive as you often have to pay school fees for them. Most people arrive in the country with no job to go to and they then apply with all the locals. There isnt a special agency just for the Poms, you'll be in the mix with all the home grown, home trained people and see how you stack up. You'll probably have the best chance with your wife's occupation but I am sure that a decent agent will work out where you stand the best chance. You will have to start at the bottom and get licences from the state you go to - that can quite a while and you wouldnt be earning what you might expect while you do that.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all the replies, seems like there is a lot more to think about than I first realised.

It seems like my wife's profession will be the driving force in making the move.

We really need to secure jobs before we go anywhere which I'm not sure is achievable unless there is a high demand for foreign workers like ourselves due to a lack of local applications
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 10:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the replies, seems like there is a lot more to think about than I first realised.

It seems like my wife's profession will be the driving force in making the move.

We really need to secure jobs before we go anywhere which I'm not sure is achievable unless there is a high demand for foreign workers like ourselves due to a lack of local applications
You could try these people - https://skillshortagesolutions.com.au/

or these - https://www.downundercentre.com/

which should work for you.

Sometimes it is possible to find work before migrating. I came over as Electrician - special class, having indentured apprenticeship and ONC / HNC, and jumped through the hoops to get my electrical license. Skills are definitely in demand - and lots of industries looking for skilled employees.

If your current employer has an AU connection, you could see about relocation. If not, there may be a career break option you can take advantage of. I got a 3 year break - but never went back. Been here almost 10 years now.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 11:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me, after working for the WA Department of Health for 16 years (13 in a large public hospital and 3 in the COVID response) your wife will not be out of work for more than a couple of weeks at most here. If she's degree trained and has experience she could walk into any hospital or health service in WA and be snatched up.

If she wants to work in the public system (like the NHS hospitals) she should look at https://www.jobs.health.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=215 for what's available. For private hospitals she could look at St John of God, Ramsay Health, The Mount, Hospital, and Mercy Care.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Trust me, after working for the WA Department of Health for 16 years (13 in a large public hospital and 3 in the COVID response) your wife will not be out of work for more than a couple of weeks at most here. If she's degree trained and has experience she could walk into any hospital or health service in WA and be snatched up.

If she wants to work in the public system (like the NHS hospitals) she should look at https://www.jobs.health.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=215 for what's available. For private hospitals she could look at St John of God, Ramsay Health, The Mount, Hospital, and Mercy Care.
Isn't that the case everywhere though? In nearly every developed country you can now walk into a job and especially in healthcare, but the real issue is often the salary vs. cost of living.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 11:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Isn't that the case everywhere though? In nearly every developed country you can now walk into a job and especially in healthcare, but the real issue is often the salary vs. cost of living.
Nurses in WA are currently earning well above $100k with shift premiums, salary sacrifice, etc. That's not a bad wage if her husband is also earning an electrical technician's salary. Even with a couple of kids they'd be very comfortable if they choose the right suburb.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Nurses in WA are currently earning well above $100k with shift premiums, salary sacrifice, etc. That's not a bad wage if her husband is also earning an electrical technician's salary. Even with a couple of kids they'd be very comfortable if they choose the right suburb.
Hi Dorothy, thanks for your advice.
Are you living in Perth? What suburbs would you recommend for a young family making a new life over there?
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends how one defines comfortable, just saying that nowhere is really cheap these days and you probably need that money when a standard pain au chocolat will cost $6-$8.
You'd certainly want beach access in a hot country and of course it all comes down to location. I'm in the West of Ireland now and also have a small place in Catalonia, but would need a 2-3 x higher housing budget if I were to live in Barcelona or Dublin. So if you end up in a large city like Perth with $100K (€62K), it's not really that much with two kids . Of course if he finds work things get better, but just saying that there's more to consider than the job alone. I've known nurses over the years who were promised the world in OZ and a few years later were back in Europe. As you know, even in WA nurses were on strike.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose it depends how one defines comfortable, just saying that nowhere is really cheap these days and you probably need that money when a standard pain au chocolat will cost $6-$8.
You'd certainly want beach access in a hot country and of course it all comes down to location. I'm in the West of Ireland now and also have a small place in Catalonia, but would need a 2-3 x higher housing budget if I were to live in Barcelona or Dublin. So if you end up in a large city like Perth with $100K (€62K), it's not really that much with two kids . Of course if he finds work things get better, but just saying that there's more to consider than the job alone. I've known nurses over the years who were promised the world in OZ and a few years later were back in Europe. As you know, even in WA nurses were on strike.
Australia has been painted as paradise by a lot of people I know and the recent Western Australia adverts are singing from the same song book.

I am under no illusion that it will be perfect but a different way of life that looks more positive and a better climate is appealing. I'm not moving to be financially better off, but with our skillset I'm sure we can build ourselves a comfortable life equal to (or slightly better ) than what we have in the UK
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Australia has been painted as paradise by a lot of people I know and the recent Western Australia adverts are singing from the same song book.

I am under no illusion that it will be perfect but a different way of life that looks more positive and a better climate is appealing. I'm not moving to be financially better off, but with our skillset I'm sure we can build ourselves a comfortable life equal to (or slightly better ) than what we have in the UK
I'm sure you'll manage. Just saying that these days a job is the minimum one can expect and be it Canada, Australia, NZ, US, UK or Ireland, Spain etc., even people with good jobs can complain.
I just returned from here and after a few days complained it was too hot, ate too much and somehow missed the rain. Now back and complaining that it's grey and pissing down. First world problems

Old Mar 22nd 2023, 10:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dorothy!
Just spotted you and wanted to say Hi, from the better side of the world! Three weeks into my parole, and not a single regret

Hope you're doing ok
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

This.

It's somewhat dependent on her exact qualifications / specialisations / experience level, but it is indeed likely she has the golden ticket when it comes to driving this move for your family. (Not denigrating your own qualifications or prospects in your own field in any way,)

We have a family friend, an overseas-born, overseas-qualified nurse who, during the initial CoVID period, went from taking some supplementary graduate-level courses in Oz, and having trouble getting even student-visa placement for the practicum assignments ... to a full-time position as an OR nurse within a leading private hospital. Initially on a temp visa, but from the outset fast-tracked to PR status at the employer's expense, with the PR granted within 3 1/2 months.

This was in NSW rather than WA, so YMMV, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.