Where to start?

Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

amanda1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

Hello everyone,

I'm new on here and my parents, my husband and I along with our 2 young children are seriously thinking about moving to Australia.

I've done a points thing for my husband and he has 130points which I believe is enough to get him a job and for us to get a visa, but I have no idea where to start with anything.

Where do I find out all the infomation we need, how much money do we need, how do we find a job, can we get a mortgage etc.

There are sooooo many things to think about and find out and I have no idea where to start, so any help and advice would be welcomed.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by amanda1982
Hello everyone,

I'm new on here and my parents, my husband and I along with our 2 young children are seriously thinking about moving to Australia.

I've done a points thing for my husband and he has 130points which I believe is enough to get him a job and for us to get a visa, but I have no idea where to start with anything.

Where do I find out all the infomation we need, how much money do we need, how do we find a job, can we get a mortgage etc.

There are sooooo many things to think about and find out and I have no idea where to start, so any help and advice would be welcomed.
Hello and welcome.
You have taken the first step by checking if you have enough points. As you said there are so many things to consider, but this mainly depends on your own personal circumstances.
We have had our visas now for two years and we validated them last year. We did a reccie trip, (although this was not our initial intension as we would have just gone if the house sale had not fallen through).
You need to think about applying for your visas first, so do you want to use an agent or not?
Then when you know which route to take you need to start thinking about where in Oz you would like to go, (not forgetting that it is such a hugh place and if you dont like one place you can always visit another or if you plan on visiting first, perhaps do a multi-trip and look at a couple of different areas).
Only you will know how much money you will have and can reasonably manage on.
You can start to have a look at these web sites for an idea of jobs and houses:

www.realestate.com.au
www.seek.com.au

Good luck and if you have any more questions, (which I am sure there will be many) just ask and I sure that you will get lots of help and information on this site. Just remember that everybody is different so don't be put off by all that you read.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda1982
Hello everyone,

The very first place you need to be looking is the Australian Department of Immigration:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Passing the points test is only the first step. If you wish to get visas based on your OHs skills then these will need to be assessed and approved by the relevant authority for his occupation prior to you being able to lodge a visa application.

You also mention your parents - you need to check if there is any visa for which they will be eligible as they will need to apply for one on their own i.e. unrelated to your application. Skilled migration is only possible for applicants up to 45 years of age.

Last edited by bcworld; Jan 8th 2009 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The very first place you need to be looking is the Australian Department of Immigration:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Passing the points test is only the first step. If you wish to get visas based on your OHs skills then these will need to be assessed and approved by the relevant authority for his occupation prior to you being able to lodge a visa application.

You also mention your parents - you need to check if there is any visa for which they will be eligible as they will need to apply for one on their own i.e. unrelated to your application.
Just something to consider as well, you say 130 points is enough to get a job for your OH and visa. The visa is only permission to live in Australia, not a job. Depending on your OH's trade/skills, he may either walk into employment right away or spend many long weeks/months unemployed.