Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where Should I be Looking To Purchase a Car?

Where Should I be Looking To Purchase a Car?

Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where Should I be Looking To Purchase a Car?

Today is worrying about buying a car day for the big move in March. I will be staying in Bayside Brisbane initially and after the hire car where is the best place to buy a used car? I dont want to get ripped off and my budget will probably be $10000 approx. I was told to buy a Holden or a Ford once by a wise old man.
Any good dealers between Brisbane and the Gold Coast? Put me at ease before I have a break down.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Should I be Looking To Purchase a Car?

Originally Posted by garyp
I was told to buy a Holden or a Ford once by a wise old man.
Nope - buy a Toyota
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Spooky I was just looking at Toyota Corola's
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:08 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You could start at the local dealers. There's a row in Capalaba on Redland Bay Road with a bunch. There's also a bunch of dealers in Cleveland although they usually have newer stuff, I think it's on Shore Street.

Beyond that there's a row of dealerships in Springwood and then a row in Moorooka for older cars, generally under $10,000.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

You can buy my car,,lol,, i need to sell it as i have a new one and cant afford to insure and rego them both!!

There is loads of places in Brisbane where you can buy second hand cars though, most garages i have come across seem ok, just don't forget to haggle!!!
If you are concerned you can get the RACQ to do inspections and you can also do history checks on-line.

Cal x
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:34 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Nope - buy a Toyota
Not so sure , they're all being recalled due to dodgy pedals, mats etc etc.

I would have then said Honda, but now they're getting recalled due to dodgy air bags.

Maybe best to get a bicycle.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:50 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Not so sure , they're all being recalled due to dodgy pedals, mats etc etc.

I would have then said Honda, but now they're getting recalled due to dodgy air bags.

Maybe best to get a bicycle.
Nope - no Toyota in Australia has been recalled because of mats or pedals. The only voluntary recall is for the Prius to have its software updated.

Toyota has consistently one of the best reputations for resale and reliability in Australia and I'd recommend that over any other.

And that's coming from a Prius driver who is the only owner model effected here in Australia
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:12 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Centurion
Nope - no Toyota in Australia has been recalled because of mats or pedals. The only voluntary recall is for the Prius to have its software updated.

Toyota has consistently one of the best reputations for resale and reliability in Australia and I'd recommend that over any other.

And that's coming from a Prius driver who is the only owner model effected here in Australia
I'm also a Toyota (Corolla) owner and would highly recommend them. Previous to that I owned a Honda which was also fantastic.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at the Kedron Car Centre on Gympie Road (Chermside) - all their cars are checked by the RACQ. I recently bought a used Mazda 323 from them and am very happy with the quality.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ferry Road Southport has stacks of new and used dealerships.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:49 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Toyota are reasonable to buy, cheap to run, cheap to repair and probably the most reliable manufacturer on the roads.

Mazda and Honda also have a great rep.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 4x4 light truck you might be interested in...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget www.carsales.com.au for private sales.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Mad mile - Moorooka!, if you cant find something decent there that fits with your budget I will eat my shorts!!...............must be 50 plus car dealers lining the street in one mile
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:52 am
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyboo2101
Mad mile - Moorooka!, if you cant find something decent there that fits with your budget I will eat my shorts!!...............must be 50 plus car dealers lining the street in one mile
Second the Moorooka Mile - like he said, if you can't find something there blah blah...............

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2; Feb 11th 2010 at 12:25 pm. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.