Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should I live?

Where should I live?

Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Danaanatrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where should I live?

I am moving to Oz in January 09. Me and my family are taking the gamble and just upping sticks and moving there. I have been offered a job with a company that has braunches all over Oz. I am thinking of moving to either Perth Or Brisbane. Which has the cheaper housing and which one would you prefer??

HELP
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should I live?

Originally Posted by Danaanatrix
I am moving to Oz in January 09. Me and my family are taking the gamble and just upping sticks and moving there. I have been offered a job with a company that has braunches all over Oz. I am thinking of moving to either Perth Or Brisbane. Which has the cheaper housing and which one would you prefer??

HELP
You have to ask which would be better for you and your family.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

HELP
If I could give you one genuine piece of advice - it's to remember that there are places other than the large city conurbations of Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Why be a pack animal and follow the herd? This is an enormous country with a tremendous variety of weather conditions, housing stock, landscape and population density. You've got everything from sub-tropical Cairns to the very British climate of Tasmania and all stops in between. Do you want seasons or year-round sunshine? Think carefully on that one, you might come to hate the sun. Is the cost of housing really the main consideration? In that case you should live inland. How much do you intend to travel when you're here? If you want to see the country and the asia-pacific region then the east coast should be where you live.

I reckon you need a checklist.

Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Cant help with Perth or Brisbane but I do understand where you are coming from with the cheaper houses. More money in the bank for the kiddides eh!! Best bet is to have a look at the Brisbane and Perth threads on BE. There are a number of areas mentioned in those posts. Then go to www.realestate.com.au and compare house prices.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Not sure about Perth as we are heading to Brisbane, but I have heard that Perth is a lovely place and I am sure we will visit when we are there.
Have a look at
www.ourbrisbane.com.au
Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

HELP
Perth is now the most expensive place to buy real estate in Australia so from that point of view Brisbane would be better!