Where to settle

Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where to settle

We really have very little idea as to what area we'd like to settle other than not in a town/city. We have dogs so would want .5 acre upwards and would prefer what I think you are all calling semi-rural. I like the sea, hubby is a construction worker (houses) so it'd need to be good for that too.

I guess the question is very open, but I'd like to know how you all planned your reckie visits to Australia to help you decide?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to settle

Originally Posted by marvinc
We really have very little idea as to what area we'd like to settle other than not in a town/city. We have dogs so would want .5 acre upwards and would prefer what I think you are all calling semi-rural. I like the sea, hubby is a construction worker (houses) so it'd need to be good for that too.

I guess the question is very open, but I'd like to know how you all planned your reckie visits to Australia to help you decide?

I'm flying out the end of october,
like you, I couldn't decide where to go, I started with Adelaide, did lots of research, 'its a sleepy place' is the summary I got

work pushed me to look to Sydney, didn't really fancy that, I wanted a reasonable size house rather than downgrade from 3 bed semi to 1 bed apt in the city.

now, i've ended up going to Melbourne with work, looks a nice enough place, a bit more active than Adelaide, less than Sydney, maybe a good compromise.

ultimatley, I think it depends on lifestyle you want, are you a rural person?,
how badly do you need to work?, larger areas have more jobs going!

it's a difficult decision, good luck with it :-)
Old Aug 16th 2006, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Well, this is what I think - obviously, where you can get work is the most crucial factor when considering where to live. Some states offer you more opportunities in certain jobs than others, totally depends on what you do for a living. If hubby is a construction worker he should be able to get work almost anywhere as the property market is booming in most areas of Australia!

We came to Cairns without ever visiting OZ before. My husband was sponsered by a local company here which made the decision for us, but we have not regretted one minute of living in this part of OZ! Cairns is not everyones cup of tea (good) or the best place for many jobs, that is why a lot of people do not come here, also they are happier around a bigger town, city where there is more on offer, which I can totally understand. We came from a very small town in England with absolutely NOTHING going on, so Cairns for us is brilliant and offers us all we need at the mo.

As for a house with land around it well, they are out there but getting harder to find in a lot of states. Unfortunately, here in Cairns now, its more a question of 'how many houses can we squeeze in bit of land', real shame as a few years ago, loads of properties had a good size plot but not anymore!

If you can get work, whatever state you end up in will be a challenge for a while as so many things are NEW to you, but that is part of emigrating, getting to grips with everything. At the end of the day, everybody needs money to live so getting a job before landing is a real bonus and peace of mind. I really do admire the people that come over here without a job and still manage to make a go of it and enjoy their new life - fantastic stuff!!!

Good luck
Gill
Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Canberra - as we came on a 139 visa - but love it.

There are rural areas on the outskirts - I beleive ScutterUK lives about 35 minutes from Canberra city - close enough for all emergency services etc but far away enough to not have neighbours.

Absolutely loads of building work goin on out here also - so couldn't see a shortage of work for you hubby.

There are lots of small semi rual areas around Canberra - try a search for Murumbateman, Hall, Captains Flat, Bungendore, Sutton - loads of places - although Sutton can be a bit pricey. But all places are within reach of Canberra (which isn't really like a city at all)

Sarah
Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:43 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

u lookin for somewhere like this?
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...a&fmt=&header=

Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:47 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG just found my hoose when I win the lottery lol

Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
It never ceases to amaze me that on 26 acres, they still only put a 3 bedroom house on it.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Third on your list would do us Biggy - blinkin lovely or what! Just makes me realise how little you get for your money here in Cairns, well the majority of times anyways!

We have a few around us that are HUGE properties but with NO LAND around them at all! Yes, they have really good views over the city, but are coming in at around 3/4 to 1 million dollars - ouch! Some of the plots of land for sale in that area are nearly 1 million dlrs before building starts again - ouch!

So, Yeppon, good on ya!

Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:31 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

What about coastal Victoria, outside Melbourne, maybe Anglesea area, also near Geelong.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Where to settle

Thank you for all the replies, I'll print it out and keep it in my file which is ever expanding
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Biggy, amazing houses and a very good website...