Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where To Retire In Australia

Where To Retire In Australia

Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:49 pm
Where2Retire In Australia

JWeeks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where To Retire In Australia

I would be interested in hearing from people planning on coming to Australia to retire, ie: why etc. I am the co-author of 'Where To Retire In Australia'.

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:37 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where To Retire In Australia

So much depends on the type of activities the retirees want to undertake and the type of climate in which they're happiest. Here in Western Australia, Kalbarri is a favourite retirement spot for those who enjoy a quiet, relaxed life by the sea, while Horrocks Beach (near Northampton) is also good. Many 'senior cits' buy caravans, live in the South - Albany, Denmark, Walpole - in the summer, travel north to Broome, Port Samson etc in winter, thus avoiding extremes of temperature in either place. And for those who prefer a more settled existence, there are lots of retirement villages, both on the coast and closer to the city, most of which have, you might say, a built-in social life and activities....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:42 pm
Where2Retire In Australia

JWeeks is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, totally agree!

We have just finished the second edition of our book, 'Where To Retire In Australia'., and spend time at Horrocks, Kalbarri, Geraldton and Dongara, plus Albany, Denmark, and lots of other W.A. areas for our research recently.

Thanks

Jill

Originally Posted by TheCrone
So much depends on the type of activities the retirees want to undertake and the type of climate in which they're happiest. Here in Western Australia, Kalbarri is a favourite retirement spot for those who enjoy a quiet, relaxed life by the sea, while Horrocks Beach (near Northampton) is also good. Many 'senior cits' buy caravans, live in the South - Albany, Denmark, Walpole - in the summer, travel north to Broome, Port Samson etc in winter, thus avoiding extremes of temperature in either place. And for those who prefer a more settled existence, there are lots of retirement villages, both on the coast and closer to the city, most of which have, you might say, a built-in social life and activities....
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point

We were considering Geraldton in WA as being good value and nice life style. We did worry a little about the wind there as someone suggested it was a real problem but when I asked on another thread no one replied either way so I guess it was a scare.

Kalbarri is lovely but a bit isolated and the houses being built are on estates which look a bit soul-less to me.

Any reactions?

Cheers

Mike
Old Mar 17th 2005, 3:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malcontent
We were considering Geraldton in WA as being good value and nice life style. We did worry a little about the wind there as someone suggested it was a real problem but when I asked on another thread no one replied either way so I guess it was a scare.

Kalbarri is lovely but a bit isolated and the houses being built are on estates which look a bit soul-less to me.

Any reactions?

Cheers

Mike
I'd take Kalbarri over Gero. Gero's nice enough but there are loads of bogons and quite a bit of crime. And, yes, it's probably the windiest place on the face of planet Earth.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:01 am
wombat42

Everyone has said WA. Theres plenty of other and much better places to retire in OZ then WA. What is it with Poms and WA, most Aussies don't want to live there and prefer the eastern states.
What about Tasmania, cheap housing, great scenery, spectacular coastline and beaches, forests, snow capped mountains, green countryside, no pollution, crowds, lowest crime rate in OZ.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 17th 2005 at 6:07 am.

Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Everyone has said WA. Theres plenty of other and much better places to retire in OZ then WA. What is it with Poms and WA, most Aussies don't want to live there and prefer the eastern states.
What about Tasmania, cheap housing, great scenery, spectacular coastline and beaches, forests, snow capped mountains, green countryside, no pollution, crowds, lowest crime rate in OZ.
Good point, If I live long enough to retire I plan to spend it driving around Australia in a 4x4, like bush tucker man, with a few side trips back to Europe.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody retire to more than few yards from the beach?

What about inland Queensland (no I don't just mean the Noosa Hinterland -there are other places). I've had students here who can't wait to get back to places I can't even find on the map, but maybe thats a function of Hong Kong thinking about it!'

Mike
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:53 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Malcontent

Any reactions?

Cheers

Mike
Geraldton is a nice enough place, everything you need is here and even the drive to Perth seems to get shorter over time, however I would highly recomend living away from the CBD. Honestly it isn't a nice relaxing place to live.

I live on the beach on Gero and really sont find the wind a problem at all. Yep it is windy but it is good as it cools the place down a bit.

I have been very down on Gero recently which to be honest isn;t fair, The place is nice and may be some peoples idea of the perfectplace to live, it just isn't for me. probably because I live in the CBD.

Kala
Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:03 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with wombat on this one. Take note of that folks
If I could get work when I finish my degree, in the field of my qualifications, Tasmania would be the place for me. They also make okay beer down there

Other suggestions might be country victoria or NSW or QSLD coasts (away from tourist areas)
Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:07 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I agree so much with you on this one Wombat I have even sent some Karma your way:believe it or not
Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:20 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If in Oz I`d also choose Tassie... but whichever place is easiest to get to the mainland from (Hobart?).

But I think I`d MUCH rather retire in Malaysia......
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:46 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Here Here (though we're not retiring)
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:01 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

The in-laws are hoping to retire in NSW if their 410 visa comes through. We have family already in Sydney which is the pull to NSW. The only other pre-requisite for them is acreage. Wanting to live out their days on their own bit of paradise!

Binbird
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:39 pm
wombat42

Don't retire in a city, the bst place would be a place near the beach in one on the many small scenic coastal towns in OZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.