Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where is this recession?

Where is this recession?

Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice
Default Where is this recession?

Not to start a row butI arrived in melbourne 4 weeks ago as a permenant resident, really worried about finding a job as numerous people told me there was a large recession here. Now im not having a shot at anyone whos unemployed because I now how that feels I was out of work for 6 months before comming here, but honestly since ive arrived ive met loads of people of all kinds of professions and backgrounds as im staying in a hostel with long term stayers and not one person is struggling to find work. Im an electrician by trade without my full license to work and ive landed a job without looking to hard, before that i was labouring for different agencies that cant get enough workers.
I just cant believe I was so worried and thought about delaying my flights 6months
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is this recession?

Originally Posted by paulg1770
Not to start a row butI arrived in melbourne 4 weeks ago as a permenant resident, really worried about finding a job as numerous people told me there was a large recession here. Now im not having a shot at anyone whos unemployed because I now how that feels I was out of work for 6 months before comming here, but honestly since ive arrived ive met loads of people of all kinds of professions and backgrounds as im staying in a hostel with long term stayers and not one person is struggling to find work. Im an electrician by trade without my full license to work and ive landed a job without looking to hard, before that i was labouring for different agencies that cant get enough workers.
I just cant believe I was so worried and thought about delaying my flights 6months
So you're enjoying Melbourne then?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:22 am
Account Closed

lovetv is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Where is this recession?

If this is real situation then thats the greatest news for newcomers, just pray that this remains indefinitely. thanks for Your valuable information. Just heard good news about employment in ozland since long time.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Where is this recession?

It was the recession we didn't have to have. So we didn't have it.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Well yea i love melbourne so far, I can really see myself staying for a long time. Locals are so friendly, weathers ok considering its winter and the social/ live music scene is fantastic plus theres work! Beaches are lovely and public transport is the best ive seen in aussie. Downside is its ******* expensive to to anything and the roads look scary. Im buying a toyota hilux surf so at least I wont get hurt in a crash
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:10 am
ABCDiamond

Getting work is harder than it was before, but for those with the right experience, and the right attitude, and in the right trade or occupation, there are still jobs available.

However, this does not apply to every trade or occupation, or area.

Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:45 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Like mcdonalds or kfc labouring is in the category of jobs that Australians won't do. Australians have a very good uni payment system and a lot of educated.

Australia is holding out on the recession well but back in Feb/March things were different and unemployment will rise to around the 8% at some point next year.

Engineering sector is improving with projects coming through but anything to do with Finance still have to wait.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weebie
Australia is holding out on the recession well but back in Feb/March things were different and unemployment will rise to around the 8% at some point next year.
You know what? I actually don't think it will. It's actually not that bad out there at all.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:18 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

It will certainly rise but hopfully you are right!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weebie
It will certainly rise but hopfully you are right!
I'm not so sure about that either. From my perspective (and I do this for a living) it was worse earlier in the year. It certainly has plateaued for the moment and I have noticed small signs of improvement, especially since the news of Australia not being in a recession. That alone has injected some confidence back into the employment market and now there is a lot of talk of recovery on the news rather than doom and gloom. One thing leads to another.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry its coming, next year will be much tougher, rising unemployment, interest rates and no more stimulus will finaly start to hit, this thing is going to drag on for a long time yet.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Beaches are lovely and public transport is the best ive seen in aussie.:
I take it you haven't been anywhere else in Oz yet then?!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by papilon
Dont worry its coming, next year will be much tougher, rising unemployment, interest rates and no more stimulus will finaly start to hit, this thing is going to drag on for a long time yet.
This report http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2009/062309a.htm from the IMF doesn't seem to be too worrying.

Not perfect by any means, but not too bad either.

Kevin Rudd has actually said they have room for more stimulus, if needed ...

Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Kevin Rudd has actually said they have room for more stimulus, if needed ...
I'm sure Bruno's giving him all the stimulus he needs...
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I'm sure Bruno's giving him all the stimulus he needs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.