Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to put your money in Australia

Where to put your money in Australia

Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:52 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where to put your money in Australia

Originally Posted by didgeridoo
This may be a silly question but are you talking about the interest only which would be taxed on???
yes i think so. In the uk you are taxed on the interest you get and the same applies in oz.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

I take it there are no ISA's or equivalents where you dont have to pay tax on your savings?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1966
i have sold my house in uk and dont want send money over yet because the £ is weak how long can i leave it in uk before i get taxed on it in oz.

Thanks Paul
Two different questions:

Interest: as soon as you become tax resident you will be taxed on the UK interest, but you should have organised it so that you have it paid in the UK gross, as a foreign resident. Even if not, you should be able to get the UK tax offset against the Oz tax.

Capital: if you leave the capital in the UK for any significant time before remitting it to your Australian bank, you should account for the difference in $$ terms of the value and pay tax here on any "capital gain", in theory.