Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where are the people who emigrated recently?

where are the people who emigrated recently?

Old Jan 16th 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

There were plenty of questions about the "Emigrate" show last year on this board, do a search and see what it brings up, I know I posted a few things about it, having been twice. If you're planning to go, think about ordering tickets soon, it's held in March.

We arrived in WA in July. We haven't been homesick and the kids have settled really well in their new schools. It was cold to start with, especially indoors with no heating, but now we're enjoying the summer. There are plenty of things to frustrate you here though, and this country is definitely behind the times. I know PB and Dotty do wind everyone up with their comments, but you should be aware of the many negative aspects of living here, as well as the positives, as having lived here now for 6 months I can see where they're coming from. That's not to say we don't like it here, we love it, but for every positive thing about Oz, there are a lot of things we miss from the UK. The weather is great here, but the downside is the horrendous storms, lightning strikes, and the huge numbers of insects that come out when it's hot. Be prepared for plenty of Mozzie bites when you first arrive! Everything seemed so much cheaper when we first arrived here, because we were converting to pounds all the time, but things don't seem so cheap now. We were hoping to self-build, but the land prices here in Mandurah are at an all-time high. We've been disapointed with the standard of education at the school, and will probably have to pay to send the kids privately when they move up to high. The news items in the West Australian are all so similar to what you read about in the UK; murder, muggings, drugs-related offences, vandalism, it all goes on here too!

And unfortunately I do have to report that hubby has still been unable to get a job; our visa was rushed through the IT fast-track route as his skills were supposed to be in demand. The last job he applied for attracted over 100 other applicants. He was short-listed to the final 6, and then got the letter he didn't want. We have enough savings to keep us ticking over a bit longer, thankfully, but we really didn't anticipate him being unemployed for so long, and it's a shame to spend our hard-earned savings on everyday necessities when they were supposed to be for holidays around Australia, or trips back to the UK.

Having said all that, we have no regrets about coming and still think we made the right decision. But I think it's important you should all consider the negative as well as positive opinions on this board. No place is paradise, yes we have palm trees and long white sandy beaches here, but it's not paradise. If you come out with expectations that are too high, you are likely to be disappointed. Hoping I won't get shot down in flames now!

We have met up with with other "Poms" from this board, and it's good to chat to other new arrivals to compare notes. In our street we also have English families who have been here longer and they've been helpful too. Our neighbours are a really friendly lot, and we do find on the whole the Aussies are a more friendly bunch. They are also very patriotic, the kids sing the national anthem at each assembly.

Good luck to all of you still waiting for your visas!
Old Jan 21st 2003, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Jacqui I loved your honesty. Reality, I am surprised nobody commented.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 2:10 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jacqui
There were plenty of questions about the "Emigrate" show last year on this board, do a search and see what it brings up, I know I posted a few things about it, having been twice. If you're planning to go, think about ordering tickets soon, it's held in March.

We arrived in WA in July. We haven't been homesick and the kids have settled really well in their new schools. It was cold to start with, especially indoors with no heating, but now we're enjoying the summer. There are plenty of things to frustrate you here though, and this country is definitely behind the times. I know PB and Dotty do wind everyone up with their comments, but you should be aware of the many negative aspects of living here, as well as the positives, as having lived here now for 6 months I can see where they're coming from. That's not to say we don't like it here, we love it, but for every positive thing about Oz, there are a lot of things we miss from the UK. The weather is great here, but the downside is the horrendous storms, lightning strikes, and the huge numbers of insects that come out when it's hot. Be prepared for plenty of Mozzie bites when you first arrive! Everything seemed so much cheaper when we first arrived here, because we were converting to pounds all the time, but things don't seem so cheap now. We were hoping to self-build, but the land prices here in Mandurah are at an all-time high. We've been disapointed with the standard of education at the school, and will probably have to pay to send the kids privately when they move up to high. The news items in the West Australian are all so similar to what you read about in the UK; murder, muggings, drugs-related offences, vandalism, it all goes on here too!

And unfortunately I do have to report that hubby has still been unable to get a job; our visa was rushed through the IT fast-track route as his skills were supposed to be in demand. The last job he applied for attracted over 100 other applicants. He was short-listed to the final 6, and then got the letter he didn't want. We have enough savings to keep us ticking over a bit longer, thankfully, but we really didn't anticipate him being unemployed for so long, and it's a shame to spend our hard-earned savings on everyday necessities when they were supposed to be for holidays around Australia, or trips back to the UK.

Having said all that, we have no regrets about coming and still think we made the right decision. But I think it's important you should all consider the negative as well as positive opinions on this board. No place is paradise, yes we have palm trees and long white sandy beaches here, but it's not paradise. If you come out with expectations that are too high, you are likely to be disappointed. Hoping I won't get shot down in flames now!

We have met up with with other "Poms" from this board, and it's good to chat to other new arrivals to compare notes. In our street we also have English families who have been here longer and they've been helpful too. Our neighbours are a really friendly lot, and we do find on the whole the Aussies are a more friendly bunch. They are also very patriotic, the kids sing the national anthem at each assembly.

Good luck to all of you still waiting for your visas!
Excellent post that somehow manages to alert people to the many issues and problems they may face, without slagging off either Australia or England. A rarity indeed.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mike & karen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where are the people who emigrated recently?

Originally posted by pread
We emigrated at the end of September last year to Melbourne's Eastern suburbs. Had a rough time at first trying to find both a rental house and a job, but got both of those by early December. Really enjoying it so far, no major disappointments, and we're starting to get out and about like a normal family.

We actually keep an online diary (weblog), going back to the day we applied for our 457 visa, so that the folks back home can keep tabs on what's happening. If anyone's interested, I'll post the link.

Cheers,
Paul.
Hi Paul

Glad you and your family have settled in.
We have just received our pre-grant letter and have booked our flights to arrive in Melbourne on 23 February.

Do you have any info on Internet Services?

We hope to settle down in the Rowville area, have got some relo's there.

Mike & Karen
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Originally posted by karenvirginia
would enjoy reading your story.
has anyone seen the video that outbound newspapers (australian news) advertise? alan and i got it and sat for 2 hours watching but found it skimmed over a great deal. i think i am obsessed with the shipping aspect as want to take as much as poss and have so many questions. quite interesting all the same (the couple who went to adelaide did not plan very well after 12 months still no work and they are probably back in the uk now)

heres to the gold coast in august

karen
I too think the video skims over some of the major issues.

We went to the Emigrate Show last year and one of the seminars involved the couple who went to Adelaide. They stayed in Australia and gained Citizenship and bought a place in Tasmania which they rented out and they came back to the UK. Overall they said they would recommend the experience if only to gain Citizenship. I suppose it keeps your options open for retirement doesn't it?

They had a question and answer session at the end but sorry I can't remember any of them? Must be getting old! I wonder if they'll be there this year?
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jacqui- an excellent balanced view (without slagging anyone or anywhere off- see PB- it is possible!).

My sis has just bought in Duncraig and have a super house for very little and are very happy. She got the first job she went for but then she isnt in IT and is probably on alot less dosh. Would love tp catch up with you when we get there.

Love

Nic

PS Good luck with the searcg though

PS- wherabouts in Mandurah?
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 6:51 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grub
Thanks Jacqui- an excellent balanced view (without slagging anyone or anywhere off- see PB- it is possible!).

My sis has just bought in Duncraig and have a super house for very little and are very happy. She got the first job she went for but then she isnt in IT and is probably on alot less dosh. Would love tp catch up with you when we get there.

Love

Nic

PS Good luck with the searcg though

PS- wherabouts in Mandurah?
You are right about being well balanced pointing out its not the land of milk and honey and there are draw backs , no job yet and the fact after living here a while things do not seem cheap in fact she has been very honest did you take it all in?

''We've been disapointed with the standard of education at the school, and will probably have to pay to send the kids privately when they move up to high. The news items in the West Australian are all so similar to what you read about in the UK; murder, muggings, drugs-related offences, vandalism, it all goes on here too! ''

No place is paradise, yes we have palm trees and long white sandy beaches here, but it's not paradise. If you come out with expectations that are too high, you are likely to be disappointed. Hoping I won't get shot down in flames now!

This kind of stuff has got you in a right state before glad to see that you can except it now.

Old Jan 24th 2003, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

This kind of stuff has got you in a right state before glad to see that you can except it now.

Learn to spell PB- youre boring me

Blah Blah Blah

Sound familiar??!!

[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 24th 2003, 6:07 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mike & karen
Hi Paul

Glad you and your family have settled in.
We have just received our pre-grant letter and have booked our flights to arrive in Melbourne on 23 February.

Do you have any info on Internet Services?

We hope to settle down in the Rowville area, have got some relo's there.

Mike & Karen

hello
ive been there and its a lovely area. just down the road from where the mcdonalds is there is a lovely place called `lakeside` i went for a job interview with linde forklift trucks which is who i work for here in the u.k. never got the job but close by in dandenong i was offered one. didnt like that suburb tho plus i was only visiting the country to check the place out before i make my big move......
Old Jan 24th 2003, 6:13 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard

The news items in the West Australian are all so similar to what you read about in the UK; murder, muggings, drugs-related offences, vandalism, it all goes on here too..

i agree to that...i read it on the net and i cant remember if it was xmas eve or new years, but i read that a guy was leaving a party with his girlfriend and whilst waiting for a taxi was set upon by a gang of youths and was stabbed then lated died in hospital. that happened in Hilary`s too.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I totally agree with Jaqui, We ahve just returned frm Oz been to

Perth
Adelaide
Sydney
Sunshine gold coast and Byron Bay.

I have my feet firmly on the ground about Oz, when we arrived there was a boy on christmas eve in Perth murdered, when we got to Adelaide the same thing happened on New years eve.

We checked out everything, Schools, private healthcare, banking etc and it isn't very disimilair to the UK, as I laughed with the Ozzy's they hat middle lane drivers aswell, call their Government crap, I was suprised how similar the people we met where like us.

The plain fact is the weather is nicer, you get more land when buying a house, people are freindly and are quite straight talking (just like me), we loved the place but is really isn't a paradise. people are more relaxed adn not so uptight well i didn't meet one of them.

Good luck to everyone still waiting

Carrianne
Old Jan 24th 2003, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carrianne

The plain fact is the weather is nicer, you get more land when buying a house, people are freindly and are quite straight talking (just like me), we loved the place but is really isn't a paradise. people are more relaxed adn not so uptight well i didn't meet one of them.

Good luck to everyone still waiting

Carrianne
You've hit the nail on the head here. as long as you take all the precautions, i.e. engage brain, do the research, remove the rose tinted vision aids, and if its still what you want.....go for it. Remember, you are a long time dead.
I'm still in research mode... but I'm getting there.
lee
ps stop knocking PB, leave the bloke alone he speaks some good sense, imo mixed up with some utter crap, but non the less I have genuinely enjoyed his posts. Keep at it!
Old Jan 25th 2003, 12:46 pm
plumber39

agree!

Old Jan 27th 2003, 10:40 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grub

Learn to spell PB- youre boring me

Blah Blah Blah

Sound familiar??!!

[/QUOTE]

Having read a few of your posts I should say we could both take a few lessons in spelling , thought up any more polls yet or fed of people taking the pee out of you?

Old Jan 27th 2003, 10:46 pm
Banned

Originally posted by sully4441
You've hit the nail on the head here. as long as you take all the precautions, i.e. engage brain, do the research, remove the rose tinted vision aids, and if its still what you want.....go for it. Remember, you are a long time dead.
I'm still in research mode... but I'm getting there.
lee
ps stop knocking PB, leave the bloke alone he speaks some good sense, imo mixed up with some utter crap, but non the less I have genuinely enjoyed his posts. Keep at it!

I hope not too much sense I have street cred to worry about , but I do try and use a bit of humour lost on some on this forum , liked the long time dead , I feel like the clocked stopped about 9 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.