Where oh where?

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where oh where?

Hi guys, so confused about choosing between all the Brisbane suburbs! Can't do our reccie until September so until then I'm trying to get a feel for the suburbs without seeing them! Basically, we are a childless couple in our early 30's who want a scenic/pretty/waterside suburb with a selection of pubs and cafes to choose from, but we don't want to live in the inner city. Is it possible to have a suburb with lots of pubs but away from the city and near the water?!!
I've looked at Recliffe - near the water but is it too quiet ? (I've also heard its a bit run down.) I've looked at "North Lakes" - good community but whats the pub scene like? I've looked at Wellington Point and Cleveland, are they better for the pub scene?
HELP BEFORE I GO MAD! Thanks a million.
PS - Just in case anyone is familiar with Devonport in Auckland, thats exactly the kind of place I'm looking for! XX
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:21 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where oh where?

Two things:

1) Have a look at www.ourbrisbane.com. Apart from being a pretty good site telling you what's on, etc in Brisbane, there are suburb guides that might help you out.

2) Do a search on this forum for 'brisbane suburbs' and you'll see several long discussions on the subject.

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

thanks, but thats whats making me confused!!! The advice on this website is invaluable but nothing would beat actually seeing the suburbs for myself, I guess! Anyone else know what suburb is perfect for me?!! (Without knowing me!!) XX
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:59 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
thanks, but thats whats making me confused!!! The advice on this website is invaluable but nothing would beat actually seeing the suburbs for myself, I guess! Anyone else know what suburb is perfect for me?!! (Without knowing me!!) XX
Ah yes, too much info is sometimes worse than none

We used to be near Wynnum and like Wynnum / Manly. It's on the waterfront, there are a few pubs. The Manly Hotel and the one across the road I forget the name of get pretty lively too. They have live bands on and show the AFL / NRL / S14 / EPL on the big screens, which is nice. There are cafes and chippies along the front and in Wynnum town centre. It used to take me 20-25 mins to get to work in Newstead so the commute is OK too.

You're on the Cleveland train line there, which means you can go into the city, have a few beers and get the train home (last one leaves the city at just before 1am from memory).

My impression of Redcliffe is that it's a nice spot to go for a day at the beach but it seems a bit quiet.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks "wmoore".
Wynnum/Manly/Cleveland sounds good. I feared Redcliffe might be a bit quiet. Am impressed that the last train leaves the city around 1am-ish out to Cleveland, that is better than the tubes in London out to North of London (Watford) where I live. Brisbane is the best! XX