Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where NOT to live in Perth

Where NOT to live in Perth

Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all
Default Where NOT to live in Perth

Should be off to Perth early November. But we not sure what part of Perth we are going to settle yet (we got 3- 4 in our minds) when we get there. Are there any part's of Perth that should be avoided for any sort of reason.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where NOT to live in Perth

North of the river ... Padbury and Craigie :scared:

HOONSVILLE.

South of the river ... Armadale

Don't shoot the messenger.

I base this advice on a conversation with a Perth police officer.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by AndyD
Should be off to Perth early November. But we not sure what part of Perth we are going to settle yet (we got 3- 4 in our minds) when we get there. Are there any part's of Perth that should be avoided for any sort of reason.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:30 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Clarkson and Merriwa any good ???
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Three Legs

HOONSVILLE.

Three Legs

Lest we forget high brow Kwinana or "The Jewel of the South" as it is more fondly known locally.......
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Both reasonably middle ground ...

Too be honest, there's no where THAT bad.

Originally Posted by Perthforme
What about Clarkson and Merriwa any good ???
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:39 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

The areas I will be looking at are Femantle, south fremantle, east fremantle, north fremantle, white gum valley, beaconsfield - these are close to the town centre - shops, markets and cafes - close to the boat that takes you over to rottesnest. Futher out of Fremantle are subburbs like hilton, spearwood etc - which are still lovely, a little futher out and maybe not walkable into town, but much more affordable.

There are also areas like cottesloe (If you're rich enough) which are lovely (I think so anyway), near the sea but bloody expensive.

Can't really advise where not to go to be honest.

What have you got to spend?!?!?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by claire edwards
The areas I will be looking at are Femantle, south fremantle, east fremantle, north fremantle, white gum valley, beaconsfield - these are close to the town centre - shops, markets and cafes - close to the boat that takes you over to rottesnest. Futher out of Fremantle are subburbs like hilton, spearwood etc - which are still lovely, a little futher out and maybe not walkable into town, but much more affordable.

There are also areas like cottesloe (If you're rich enough) which are lovely (I think so anyway), near the sea but bloody expensive.

Can't really advise where not to go to be honest.

What have you got to spend?!?!?
Spend? we have got a budget of $250000 - $300000, Is this OK?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:31 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Spend? we have got a budget of $250000 - $300000, Is this OK?
http://www.realestate.com.au/

check this site out if you have not already
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:45 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Three Legs

HOONSVILLE.

Three Legs
Excuse me, I live in Craigie and we don't have a hoon problem thank you!!!! We live opposite a lovely park and it is perfectly safe to walk around at night too!

My colleague at work lives in Padbury and she's never said anything about hoons there either.

(No offense taken 3 legs, everyone slags off Cragie just as they do Clarkson but really its no worse than anywhere else and the property is cheaper!)

Top tip though, newbie house hunters - look out for tyre track skids on the roads in the suburbs you visit, that will tell you all you need to know. There is a road down to the Joondalup Arena where the skid marks are thick from the idiots doing their burn ups. Why they think its clever is beyond me.

MC
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Like I said ... there's nowhere THAT bad ...

Craigie borders Kallaroo where a friend of mine lives and it's a lovely burb.

Armadale tho'

Originally Posted by Moody Cow
Excuse me, I live in Craigie and we don't have a hoon problem thank you!!!! We live opposite a lovely park and it is perfectly safe to walk around at night too!

My colleague at work lives in Padbury and she's never said anything about hoons there either.

(No offense taken 3 legs, everyone slags off Cragie just as they do Clarkson but really its no worse than anywhere else and the property is cheaper!)

Top tip though, newbie house hunters - look out for tyre track skids on the roads in the suburbs you visit, that will tell you all you need to know. There is a road down to the Joondalup Arena where the skid marks are thick from the idiots doing their burn ups. Why they think its clever is beyond me.

MC
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be KGB - Koondoola, Girawheen and Balga but the government was accused of creating ghettos so the public housing residents were distributed further north the the new "less desirable" suburbs of Quinns Rocks, Two Rocks, Clarkson and Merriwa.

KGB is a bit "up and coming" these days - good place to buy an investment property.

Midland, Armadale are dodgy too.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
I used to be KGB - Koondoola, Girawheen and Balga but the government was accused of creating ghettos so the public housing residents were distributed further north the the new "less desirable" suburbs of Quinns Rocks, Two Rocks, Clarkson and Merriwa.

KGB is a bit "up and coming" these days - good place to buy an investment property.

Midland, Armadale are dodgy too.

Oh! Quinns Rock was on our list. Perhaps now at the bottom of the list.)
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Most suburbs have their good and bad points. Clarkson has always been slated. but that is really turning round now with the Somerly site.
You have to really try different places, and settle where you get the right 'feel'
Quinns is a fab place, but as with all subs, it has a few dodgy areas!!