Where to look

Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice
Default Where to look

Visiting Cairns soon for a holiday and would like to check out some properties while i'm there. Have anybody out there got any ideas of the areas to look within cairns.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:28 am
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to look

Really- Is this a serious post?

Cairns is absolutely tiny

You can drive the length of it in under an hour and the width of it in 45mins.

Get yourself a map and have a look.

I must admit I am bit dissapointed with the questions being asked, surely most of these questions can be addressed with a bit of research, and first hand recon.

I feel there is an element of I can't be assed I will just ask a question and rely on someone else. Maybe for some kind of reassurance?

There are much better questions to ask, such as what is really like to live and work in 35 degrees with 100% Humidity for several months of the year, whats it like to live somewhere that isloated? etc.

No offence mean't but honestly.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:43 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p l d k

I must admit I am bit dissapointed with the questions being asked, surely most of these questions can be addressed with a bit of research, and first hand recon.

I feel there is an element of I can't be assed I will just ask a question and rely on someone else. Maybe for some kind of reassurance?

There are much better questions to ask, such as what is really like to live and work in 35 degrees with 100% Humidity for several months of the year, whats it like to live somewhere that isloated? etc.

Ever thought that people asking questions is research? Ever thought that there is more to the answer to the OPs question than how far is a suburb from the beach or CBD? I suspect that the OP is asking for people's suggestions on suburbs worth looking at rather than a geography lesson.

Don't be so quick to judge and the very best advice I would give you is just to ignore posts you don't like rather than reply trying to be witty. It makes you look stupid to be honest.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds a bit harsh, but one thing I totally agree with you on is researching the climate up there. I cannot believe the amount of posts saying cairns looks beautiful (yes it is) but no mention of the climate.

Perhaps its cause its winter now and people just cannot possibly imagine.......... However best remember its tropical, a place does not have such tropical beauty without some seriously tropical weather. Consider carefully especially if looking at tradework

But to the OP, if you search on cairns lots of stuff on areas will come up.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Sorry, not trying to be witty.

If you have ever been to cairns or looked at it on a map you would no what I mean.

Honestly the place has got two main roads. I think even Darwin would seem like a sprawling metropilis after cairns.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:53 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

If you have ever been to cairns or looked at it on a map you would no what I mean.

Honestly the place has got two main roads. I think even Darwin would seem like a sprawling metropilis after cairns.
There are some similarities actually. But Darwin is spread out over a larger area with about the same number of people, making Cairns seem crowded by comparison.

I quite like Cairns as it goes. Though I couldn't live there because of the climate (and I'll be getting out of Darwin before the next wet season) but it would be awesome to be so close to the Great Barrier Reef. I'd be out there as often as I could afford to I think.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

So, how come there are 40 or so suburbs within the council area of Cairns. And yes I have been there. Seems like a sensible place to find out first hand information from people who live there to me. Maybe the OP didnt just mean the town centre.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wmoore
There are some similarities actually. But Darwin is spread out over a larger area with about the same number of people, making Cairns seem crowded by comparison.

I quite like Cairns as it goes. Though I couldn't live there because of the climate (and I'll be getting out of Darwin before the next wet season) but it would be awesome to be so close to the Great Barrier Reef. I'd be out there as often as I could afford to I think.
That really is my point, Cairns really is an extremely small area so would not take long to look around.

It is a very nice place to live, I would certainly agree with you on that, however for me, I like the heat but Cairns takes a lot of getting used to. I have been up there a few times at diferent times of the year and if working up there in the Wet season doing a manual tradie type job was not so hard,I would be a resident.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
So, how come there are 40 or so suburbs within the council area of Cairns. And yes I have been there. Seems like a sensible place to find out first hand information from people who live there to me. Maybe the OP didnt just mean the town centre.
There may be 40 suburbs and I know it has experienced some expansion especially the northern suburbs, but seriously the Guys have said they are going for a holiday there anyway. It took me no time at all to find my way around, once again it is tiny.

I think everyone so far has missed my point.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:12 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

There may be 40 suburbs and I know it has experienced some expansion especially the northern suburbs, but seriously the Guys have said they are going for a holiday there anyway. It took me no time at all to find my way around, once again it is tiny.

I think everyone so far has missed my point.

...you had a point?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:25 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Get your point but in defence my hometown consisted of 8 homes. It would however take someone more than a couple of days to assimilate "local" knowledge of buying property in the region.

Driving by a nice plot but not knowing the green field site behind is set for a rubber refuse site. That the nice river and field behind actually have Tabu restrictions or what the road is like in the middle of summer. That this particularly area of housing is full of ex crims in half way housing.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

so can anyone suggest any areas for the OP?
i can't see one yet
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
so can anyone suggest any areas for the OP?
i can't see one yet
I am here Mr.Gedge

Jamie, check out this thread on Cairns suburbs

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...cairns+suburbs
Old Aug 5th 2007, 10:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

And you may or may not be interested in this, which is of course only my opinion:-

CAIRNS SUBURBS

Loads of personal factors come into play when deciding where to live and everyone has different criteria as to what is good and what is bad.
I have tried to keep this concise without too much personal prejudice but that is difficult as my view is coloured by - my view.
I could have elaborated but would that serve a purpose ? I’m not sure.
I do not pretend to know Cairns inside out and have a lot to learn about it myself.

BEACHES:
Palm Cove – Caters for holiday trade with seafront hotels, apartments and restaurants along the Esplanade. Very nice. Housing could be pricey. Away from the beach will be cheaper.
Clifton Beach – No Esplanade as such. New small shopping centre out at the main Roadside. No real holiday industry here. Expensive at the water front.
Kewarra Beach – More affordable areas. Large development taking place. Not much in the way of facilities but not far to travel to them.
Trinity Beach – A mini Palm Cove. Very nice.
Trinity Park – No beach. Water inlet. Big money going in here. Want to park your yacht at the bottom of the garden ?
Yorkeys Knob – Marina and small beach. In flight path.
Holloways Beach - Flight path. Mmmmmm not my cup of tea.
Machans Beach - Flight path. Poor reputation.

NORTH:
Smithfield – Being developed a lot. Big shopping centre just revamped. Smithfield Heights area is very good. Gateway to the Tablelands and Kuranda.
Caravonica – Some very nice new housing.
Kamerunga – Mainly rainforest type living. Pole homes.
Freshwater – Older but seems okay.
Stratford – Tipped to become the next Edge Hill.
Redlynch – Offers a lot. New suburb spread over several km.
Brinsmead – Old and new. Better stuff tends to be up the hill. Good.
Park Ridge – East is virtually millionaire territory. West can be pricey.
Whitfield – Older leafy burb. Some good, some bad.
Edge Hill – Older leafy burb in excellent location and has a good reputation. Where the yuppies live.
Kanimbla – New burb nearing completion. Looks good.
Mooroobool – Prime example of where good meets bad. Some very good and some very bad. City Views within Mooroobool is where a lot of big money people live.

CITY SUBURBS:
Old and undesirable places to be living unless it’s in a gated apartment complex:
Aeroglen – Read airport.
Bungalow – Old housing meets industrial.
Manoora – Probably the worst burb in Cairns.
Manunda – Similar
Parramatta Park – Just made the news due to increasing crime rate.
Portsmith – Not much housing. Industrial leading to the port.
Westcourt – Bordering the main Mulgrave Road.
Woree – Same as Westcourt.

SOUTHSIDE:
Earlville – Older. Better stuff is at the back toward the hills.
Bayview Heights – Where the original money people of Cairns live – or lived ? Better at the back toward the hills. New development there.
White Rock – Lived there 3 months. Never again
Forest Gardens - New burb nearing completion. Some good stuff.
Mount Sheridan – Older leafy burb.
Bentley Park – Nicknamed Nappy Valley. Cheaper housing. Lot of development out the back where it is now adjoining Edmonton.
Edmonton – High velocity expansion. Will be the largest burb I would think. Plans to join it with Gordonvale which is a 10 minute drive to the South so that will be a major development with new shopping centre. Plans to build another town centre.
Gordonvale – Semi rural. Farming and cane field country. About to go big over the next few years.Gateway to the Tablelands.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your input really helpful and thanks bix thats great , as for the first rude reply i had! The town i live in know is tiny and you can drive the length of it in 2 minutes but you would still need advise where to buy a property some places rougher then others and all that. Just wanted an idea of which places to look first!