Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live and work?

Where to live and work?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

apple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Where to live and work?

Hi there,

Anybody got any advice on where to live and work here?

My husband and I are doing a years blitz before we settle and trying to save.

He is a scaffolder but would consider working in the mines or something like it. I am a teacher but my registration won't come through for another 2 months possibly. So, I would consider retail, administration, HR..anything like that. While we are following the big money, we would consider settling where we work.

I want to live in or close to a town. We've heard that WA is good but living expenses high. We want to minimise expense but at the same time have enough to do. Do you know of anywhere that would suit us or give us advice?

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live and work?

Originally Posted by apple3
Hi there,

Anybody got any advice on where to live and work here?

My husband and I are doing a years blitz before we settle and trying to save.

He is a scaffolder but would consider working in the mines or something like it. I am a teacher but my registration won't come through for another 2 months possibly. So, I would consider retail, administration, HR..anything like that. While we are following the big money, we would consider settling where we work.

I want to live in or close to a town. We've heard that WA is good but living expenses high. We want to minimise expense but at the same time have enough to do. Do you know of anywhere that would suit us or give us advice?

Thanks
Our kid was a dogman/scaffolder; good craic and good perks on the building sites here in Perth. He is now a crane drive up the mines. Loads of work for hubby over here and the cost of living isn't as bad as what you have been led to believe?

Re where to live? Well you really need to get over here and get a feel for the place. You need to check out things such as shops, hospitals & other medical facilities, schools, transport availability, shops, etc etc dependent upon your individual needs?

You will need to ascertain what type of people live in what area, who is being attracted to the area? Does such an area cater for families, single persons, couples with no children, the elderly, students, the unemployed...... etc etc?

Which local council does the area come under...... are they any good? What is the current zoning in said area, are plans afoot to alter that zoning in the foreseeable future. Are there any hidden factors that could affect resale value down the track such as revamping of density codes, widening of roads etc etc.

First point of call when you attempt to identify an area suitable for you considering investing in said area, is for you to accurately define your needs and your capabilities. Your requirements then need to be matched as closely as possible with an affordable property and one that also is likely to provide for you good resale profit down the track.

Tricks of the trade : Don't buy on a round-a-bout; don't buy near or on a main road; don't buy where feng sui 'poison arrow' will be a factor;NEVER EVER buy a property with a lane-way adjoining!!!! (9 times out od 10 said lane-way or alley will attract low-life and anti-social behaviour).

Could go on forever because this is my job. Plenty of food for thought here. Best of luck wherever you decide to live?