Reload this Page >

Where to live in Sydney?

Where to live in Sydney?

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:50 pm
dkh
Just Joined

dkh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Sydney?

I am moving to Sydney to work for 15 months and would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions or information on nice areas to live. I will be moving out with my wife and we are in our early 30's.

Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live in Sydney?

We are moving to somewhere commutable to Sydney too and we haven't yet decided on an area - decided against Sydney itself as it's too expensive to rent or buy (we have three boys) but interested in areas surrounding it. We are going August/September time, must admit it's a bit scary as we haven't got a clue where we will be settling either - wouldn't be too bad if it was just us! We plan to go out and see as many areas as we can before settling with the right one.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Good luck

Cheers

Poppy
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dkh
I am moving to Sydney to work for 15 months and would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions or information on nice areas to live. I will be moving out with my wife and we are in our early 30's.

Thanks.
Mosman, Manly, Seaforth, Neutral Bay, Cremone.. all north shore and all very commutable by bus/car to the CBD.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:24 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy
We are moving to somewhere commutable to Sydney too and we haven't yet decided on an area - decided against Sydney itself as it's too expensive to rent or buy (we have three boys) but interested in areas surrounding it. We are going August/September time, must admit it's a bit scary as we haven't got a clue where we will be settling either - wouldn't be too bad if it was just us! We plan to go out and see as many areas as we can before settling with the right one.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Good luck

Cheers

Poppy
Forget Sydney :scared: , Come to Brissie
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

All the harbourside suburbs - north or south - are lovely. You can't go wrong with any of them.

If you want to be close to beaches and the city, look at the Eastern suburbs of Bondi, Bronte or Coogee. If you want to be particularly close to the city, look at Paddington or Potts Point.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Hi there we are early thirties and live in eastern suburbs - coogee - been here for a year and a half and love it.
It has a great beach loads of great restaurants and pubs which you can drink in until the early hours.
also have lots of friends on the north shore - manly etc which is also great.
If you aren't bothered about being near a beach paddington (eastern suburbs) and pyremont (just behind darling harbour) are both lovely areas.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:31 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JayneS
Hi there we are early thirties and live in eastern suburbs - coogee - been here for a year and a half and love it.
It has a great beach loads of great restaurants
Do you go to "A Fish Called Coogee"?
Used to go there with friends and it was always a good eatery, just wondering if it still is as we maybe over there in the next few weeks.
<sorry OT I know>

We're in our early thirties too and have lived in the eastern suburbs, city and now northern beaches. Everywhere has good and bad points imo and these are just a few...

(These are generalisations and maybe not true to all parts.)
Eastern Suburbs
Good: Easy access to city and beaches.
Bad: Busy and lots of backpackers.
City
Good: Easy access to city for work and play.
Bad: Expensive, and no sea breezes in the hot summer months.
Northern Beaches
Good: Quieter (except Manly of course).
Bad: Travel in to the city.

Depends what you want when you get here.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Redhokie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dkh

Thanks.
My husband and I moved to Sydney almost 9 months ago. We rent a unit on the Lower North Shore, Cremorne Point. The biggest draw back is we are not on a train line. My husband works in the city so he catches the ferry, I work in North Sydney so I walk.
It might not be the cheapest place to rent in Sydney as we live right on the Harbour. We are only 10 mins ferry ride away from the city and 5 mins drive from all the shops and restaurants on the main Military Road. We love where we live it is just unfortunate we can't afford to buy there.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dkh

Thanks.
I think the amount available for rent, and type of property you want, will have a deciding factor on the choice.

3 Bed house, with decent garden, 1 hr West of Sydney CBD (by train) will cost from about $250 per week.

same in Bondi about $500pw, although a 2 bed apartment may only be from about $280 pw.

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think the amount available for rent, and type of property you want, will have a deciding factor on the choice.

3 Bed house, with decent garden, 1 hr West of Sydney CBD (by train) will cost from about $250 per week.

same in Bondi about $500pw, although a 2 bed apartment may only be from about $280 pw.
I live in Manly which is great! Lots of bars, restaurants, walking, swimming, nice beaches! Yes it is a trek to the city but then I don't need to go into the city all that often....You don't get a lot of trouble here and its relatively a great place for meeting other english and europeans....

I could not imagine living in a nicer area, close to the beach! I do have friends that live just near Bondi who do get a bit more for their money but then its bondi and its just a glorified blackpool to me...(sorry to those who live there, maybe its because I am getting old
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We're in Balmain and after less than a month of living here it feels like home.

We're a 10 to 20 minute ferry ride and a 15 to 20 minutes bus ride from the CBD. Balmain has lots of pubs and restaurants plus a shopping area and really feels like a standalone town then you look down the road and see the harbour bridge and highrise blocks of Sydney Noirth Shore & CBD. Cheap 2 bed flats start from about $300 a week but nice ones are more like $450 to 500 a week.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:18 am
Just Joined

taffymo is an unknown quantity at this point

http://capecabarita.com.au/

We moved to Sydney three months ago now, having never even visited Austraila for a holiday before. We are both in mid 30's, and we found this place. We rent an appartment here, and love it.

That said I am sure we would be happy in most harbourside suburbs.

Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I'm heading to the Northern beaches - and if that is too expensive, I'll go for the Southern beaches

SS
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Ficklefish is on a distinguished road

I would highly recommend the Lower North Shore suburb of Lavender Bay/McMahons Point. For a 15 month stay you could have harbour bridge views and the rent is pretty affordable ($360 pw). Been here for six months and think its a great location. Seven minutes commute by train into the CBD or take the ferry from the wharf at McMahons Point into Circular Quay or Darling Harbour (both great for working in the city).

Blues Point Road is the spine of the area, with some decent restaurants and a couple of nice pubs (The Commodore, Blues Point Hotel recently done up), and you are about 15mins walk to Kirribilli where there are more restaurants and the Kirribilli Hotel (pub).

For transport, you've got the ferry connection, and North Sydney terminal connects you to trains north/south and good bus options. Feeling fit, you can walk into the city in 30-40mins, across the bridge.

You are 10 mins from the North Sydney Oval, which offers cricket, AFL and at this time of year the Starlight Cinema, and of course friday night noodle markets!

Can't say enough about it - no immediate beach access, but you can pretty much get anyway from here.

Hope this is helpful - good luck with your choice.

Ff
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by orange&
Mosman, Manly, Seaforth, Neutral Bay, Cremone.. all north shore and all very commutable by bus/car to the CBD.
Blimey.....would need to win the lottery first!!!!
We left Sydney 4 years ago, and prices in theses area then were crazy.....dread to think what they are like now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.