Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

My partner and my 4 kids are considering a move to Australia but cannot decide where to go. We want to live somewhere with breathtaking scenery and plenty of space as we currently live in rural Wales and would not want to live in the suburbs. However I need to be within commuting distance of a hospital or anywhere I could work as a child trained nurse. Queensland looks great but I am a little concerned re mosquitoes and humidity horror stories! Any advice please?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

Originally Posted by stellios
breathtaking scenery and plenty of space

within commuting distance of a hospital or anywhere I could work as a child trained nurse.
Queensland
Would have to be Cairns

You wont notice the humidity with the air con on.

WW
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. Cairns does look great but I'm not sure if I could get a job there easily- I'm a bit restricted as I'm only qualified to work with children. I'm used to commuting 25 miles at the moment so could cope with a reasonable commute.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:16 pm
Banned

celcite is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner and my 4 kids are considering a move to Australia but cannot decide where to go. We want to live somewhere with breathtaking scenery and plenty of space as we currently live in rural Wales and would not want to live in the suburbs. However I need to be within commuting distance of a hospital or anywhere I could work as a child trained nurse. Queensland looks great but I am a little concerned re mosquitoes and humidity horror stories! Any advice please?
NZ or Canada are the best options.Australia is extremely hot,humid and lot of flies there in summers.We had a trip to validate our visas some years ago in Summers and its was terrible hot and humid just like MiddleEast.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celcite
NZ or Canada are the best options.Australia is extremely hot,humid and lot of flies there in summers.We had a trip to validate our visas some years ago in Summers and its was terrible hot and humid just like MiddleEast.
a har its the old tar the whole country with one brush statement

o go on then i`l be more to the point

bollocks

or on the most part your talking bollocks

it depends on where you plan to live, if you go hot n humid yes you`ll get mozzies, but as amazing as it may seem autralia is a huge place with a full range of wheather conditions, at the moment its mid 20`s in south qld and its snowing in the aussie alps down south, mmm no flies down there at the moment, or here for that matter
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
a har its the old tar the whole country with one brush statement

o go on then i`l be more to the point

bollocks

or on the most part your talking bollocks

it depends on where you plan to live, if you go hot n humid yes you`ll get mozzies, but as amazing as it may seem autralia is a huge place with a full range of wheather conditions, at the moment its mid 20`s in south qld and its snowing in the aussie alps down south, mmm no flies down there at the moment, or here for that matter
Nah no big cities (Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane,Perth) in Australia receive snow ever.Even in MiddleEast if you will climb Mount Everst you will definitely see snow (same is the case with Australia).
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:38 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Nah no big cities (Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane,Perth) in Australia receive snow ever.Even in MiddleEast if you will climb Mount Everst you will definitely see snow (same is the case with Australia).
http://www.ski.com.au/reports/australia/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

Last edited by steve`o; Sep 16th 2008 at 8:52 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Hi Stellios,

Okay, this is a loaded one and bound to get many conflicting replies 'cos there are so many great places in Oz... but to be honest, there is only one place for you

Although I have to agree with wanderingwombat about Queensland, the humidity will kill you in Cairns (btw, Cairns is awesome. The a/c will help, but why move to tropical Queensland to spend your life indoors!?!

I would suggest the Gold Coast Hinterland. Here's why:
  • Breathtaking scenery
  • You can buy a 2 acre property with a nice ( big) house from about £200,000
  • THis would put you only 15-20mins drive to some of Australia's best beaches that are warm enough to swim in all year around
  • A bit cooler and less humid than being on the actual coast
  • 20-30mins from awesome tropical rainforests and amazing bush walking
  • The theme park capital of the Southern Hemisphere
  • 7 or 8 hospitals within a leisurely 30min drive
  • Over 500 restaurants and cafes
  • 45-60min drive from Brisbane (3rd biggest city in Oz)
  • 300+ days of sunshine a year (winter is 6 months of 18-22ºC sunny days!!)
  • 15-20mins from Coolangatta Airport with $69 and $89 flights to Melbourne and Sydney

If that's not enough, let me know. I've lived in Perth, Melbourne, Gold Coast and Sydney and no other Australian city has all of this...

It only has a population of 500,000 so it's not too big but not too small either....

We're in the early stages of planning to move there from Greenwich in London (me/mrs/2kids)...

Hope you find that helpful!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:49 pm
Banned

Thats what I said all mountains there (Mt Hotham,Mt buller, Snowy Mountains,Mt Everst) no Melbourne,Sydney or Perth.

Last edited by celcite; Sep 16th 2008 at 8:54 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by autorock
Hi Stellios,

[*]You can buy a 2 acre property with a nice ( big) house from about £200,000
Not everybody in this world have this much money. I think with this much amount of cold hard cash in GBP(hard currency) you can buy nice property anywhere in the world.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:56 pm
Worongary

Not everybody in this world have this much money. I think with this much amount of cold hard cash in GBP(hard currency) you can buy nice property anywhere in the world.
that was a party political statement from the i once visited but didnt like australia party
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Thats what I said all mountains there (Mt Hotham,Mt buller, Snowy Mountains,Mt Everst) .
Seems the continental drift accelerated a far bit last night.

The population of OZ must have increased dramatically over night however the radio news this morning was in English not Indian

Not much snow can be seen in the OZ Alps in summer.
WW
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

I think if you like breathtaking scenery then NZ would be the best option, more mountainous and spectacular! But most of NZ are moving to OZ so there will be planty of space.

But seriously anywhere in Oz is beautiful and diverse, you have mountains, deserts, (Even in Victoria), all the beaches are fantastic all around the country, better than european beaches. If you are trying to recreate open spaces in Wales and looking for somewhere green I suggest Tazzy, as its probably the greenest state, although saying that they are in drought as well!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all advice so far. Certainly Brisbane is the place we have concentrated on so far. It's just we can't imagine having to live in the suburbs in order for me to work there (my problem is as a child trained nurse only I can't work with adults) Any suggestions where we could live that would tick all the boxes gratefully received! I could probably cope with a 40 min commute but that would be my limit.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:32 am
Just Joined

tim_the_taf is an unknown quantity at this point

200 grand ???? 4 x 2 house round the corner from us in perth is up for 4.9million. In your dreams dude. Qld is humid, WA isn't, and its a lot bigger. I'm from rural Wales as well, and if you want something that looks like Snowdonia, go to NZ. If you want decent weather come to Aus. If Aus, because Perth's so expensive now, lots of people are going to Brisbane and Melbourne instead. The weather's crap in Melbourne, so its either Brisbane or Perth depending on your preference. Never been to Brisie so can't comment, but you can live in a bush block less than an hour from Perth quite easily. Just have to pay for it...

Oh, and of course Aus gets snow in the south eastern mountains in winter. More than the UK gets these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.