Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live in nz

where to live in nz

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ratliffe
o.k fair enough tauranga has a problem with kids and drink but am i right in sayng this only happens on new years eve etc. as for schools under what scale is there a problem with 'drugs'unfortunately its the sign of the times with kids n drugs in britain there starting at 11 years old in some parts of the country probably younger.What is it that appeals you to christchurch if there is a problem with violence. if i lived somewhere that was as bad as you say it is, i would get the hell out especially if you have children.I must say that is an eyeopener to me because i havent heard of it like that in christchruch!! thanks for the info. Keep it coming
cheers
We were seduced by the stunning views of the alps and the drop dead gorgeous Banks Peninsula area. However that wears off in time and you are left with an overblown, overgrown farming town. On arrival here EVERY single real estate agent told us to avoid the east side of the city.....where in the Uk would you need to be told to avoid HALF of a city? As regards violence the problem is not exactly at epidemic proportions but there is a head in the sands attitude here. People refuse to see it so they don't need to address it.At least in the UK the issues are well documented and tackled however limply.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with Rattlife on this one. I live in Coventry and I would advise people to avoid the whole city. The UK really has changed in the last 2 years. We have had seven rapes in Coventry in the last 3 months and they don't even make the front page of the local newspaper anymore. I've never been to Christchurch but I did feel safe in Tauranga and Auckland (although I was only there a few days) Kids will get into trouble in every country an unfortunately drugs are something we now all have to deal with.One person I spoke to in New Zealand put it quite well he said "we have every crime here that the UK has but (due to population maybe) it's on a much smaller scale and the criminals tend to get caught."
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: where to live in nz

Originally posted by travelling_kiwi

one of the best places i ever lived recently was dunedin, fun student town, very cheap by any standards, houses start at 30k up to 200k,
Hello Traveller,

Dunedin looks like a great place, but I do wonder about 'the weather', its one MAJOR apparent drawback - I like playing tennis, for instance, would I be able to get much time on the courts (people do play tennis there?!). I'm afraid to ask this question but... why doesn't NZ have any topclass tennis players (or skiiers for that matter)? And how far away is the nearest skiing? Were you working in Dunedin by the way, and how long were you there? And what exactly do you mean by 'fun'? Bars and nightlife maybe, or is there more it? Most university towns are probably 'fun' for the younger set, but how about for families like mine with little ones? (2 and 6)? That's a lot of questions isn't it?(!)

I wonder about jobs in Dunedin, though - either I haven't found the best sites yet for Dunedin jobs, or jobs just don't exist in any significant numbers there. The City of Dunedin is trying very hard to get Dunedin noticed by the immigrant community, but outside of hospital, university and agriculture work, what is there?

Originally posted by travelling_kiwi
someone said christchurch(chch) is violent, i was raised near chch,
So what about violence in chch then, you didn't quite say? Must say this is the first time I've heard chch described as 'violent' - there would have to be 80-odd murders, maybe 50 bank robberies, and 50 to 100-odd rapes a year to be on a par with where I'm living now, population 190,000....

Anyway, Muppetking: very interesting views on chch. Do you find the problems bad enough that you no longer want to live there? Just wondering if you think moving to NZ was a mistake, useful to hear the full spectrum of opinions... it's very true that a seductive image of NZ is being 'sold' abroad to prospective immigrants (clean air, safe, cheap, good schools, great outdoors living, etc..). I expect all of that does exist in NZ, just not necessarily where people actually want to (i.e. weather), or can (job-wise), live!

TA
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 8:49 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
We were seduced by the stunning views of the alps and the drop dead gorgeous Banks Peninsula area. However that wears off in time and you are left with an overblown, overgrown farming town. On arrival here EVERY single real estate agent told us to avoid the east side of the city.....where in the Uk would you need to be told to avoid HALF of a city? As regards violence the problem is not exactly at epidemic proportions but there is a head in the sands attitude here. People refuse to see it so they don't need to address it.At least in the UK the issues are well documented and tackled however limply.
poor muppetking, you seem disillusioned after expecting too much, the negativity & nature of your contributions/opinions suggest you're obviously homesick - perhaps it's time to go home to uk?
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 10:42 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where to live in nz

hi TA
firstly, remember everyone has different experiences based on their perspective, expectations & what they're used to.
bear in mind we move because we want change, something new and hopefully better in some way
you have obviously researched dunedin well already & probably know more than i as i only lived there 6 months.
why wonder about the weather? are you in florida? then you'll find it's not that tropical - ever been to north coast of oregon? it's similar climate so yes tennis is played, you should try searching these specific topics on the net
sport is approached quite differently from the us system, it's played for fun & exercise like the good ol days, professional sport is smallscale with the exception of yacht racing & even rugby has only recently become professional, to answer your q directly, there isn't a lot of funding to keep athletes/skiers competing in a career for years

the nearest skiing? to dunedin is queenstown approx 2 hour drive - it's all on the net
to christchurch- nearest ski field(porter heights) is 1hour, others 1.5 hr
you're in a city 60% size of christchurch, considering the numbers you list, you would laugh at the chch crime stats

Last edited by travelling_kiwi; Jan 3rd 2003 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2003, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting reading, some of the comments on this thread. I've just arrived back in NZ after 3 weeks holiday in the UK & compared to NZ, the UK has *definitely* gone downhill noticeably since I was last there. Asylum seekers everywhere, the government more concerned with Iraq than it's own domestic problems, the gap between the 'haves' & 'have nots' even greater than ever before. Yes NZ has its problems, but I disagree with the comments that it is a violent country - statistics skew this (there are only 3.4 million in the entire country!). I've lived in Auckland (CBD) for the past 2.5yrs & the worst thing thats ever happened to me was getting a $40 parking fine for parking against the traffic. There are 'bad' areas in every city in every country - but does the average person visit these areas? when was the last time you had a night out in Manukau/Handsworth/Brixton??!
Old Jan 6th 2003, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well put.I think some of the people who have been in New Zealand even for less than a year would be shocked at what's happening in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
Well put.I think some of the people who have been in New Zealand even for less than a year would be shocked at what's happening in the UK.

just a quick question! anyone out there have any experience or useful information on timaru. we would like to get out of the rat race but not be too far from major city. i also need a hospital or at least a job as a nurse and we've heard that timaru is quite nice but it's hard to get much info on it as most seem to head for the major cities.

anyone know if the climate is much different than Christchurch, and if there is a reasonable choice of schools

many thanks
Old Jan 6th 2003, 10:46 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ratliffe
o.k fair enough tauranga has a problem with kids and drink but am i right in sayng this only happens on new years eve etc. as for schools under what scale is there a problem with 'drugs'unfortunately its the sign of the times with kids n drugs in britain there starting at 11 years old in some parts of the country probably younger.What is it that appeals you to christchurch if there is a problem with violence. if i lived somewhere that was as bad as you say it is, i would get the hell out especially if you have children.I must say that is an eyeopener to me because i havent heard of it like that in christchruch!! thanks for the info. Keep it coming
cheers
You haven't heard of it like that in Christchurch because it's not. I have lived here for 3.5 years, after leaving Surrey, and I don't recognise the place Muppet is describing. I have found it to be a really pleasant, laid back city with very few problems. I go out to the city centre with mates and with wife (and sometimes even both) and never once experienced or seen intimidation or violence. As for the description that the whole of the east of the city is to be avoided, I would completely disagree. I personally wouldn't live in Linwood, Aranui and Brighton but that's all...and compared to an English council estate they are fantastic area's, just the lower socio-economic part of Ch'ch.

I have just returned from Christmas and New Year in the UK and I know where I would rather be.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

i disagree with "ex-Kiwi"s" comments. i have lived in sydney, new york, auckland & wellington.

nz is generally safe. all cities around the world have their bad areas. once you have lived in a city for a while, you soon learn which areas are best to avoid.

wellington has been the safest out of all four cities. its also now a top tourist destination with heaps of things to check out.
Old May 7th 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have any experience of living in New Plymouth. i have recently managed to get a job as a midwife there and hope its not as bad as some of the comments ive read today on this forum! Please reassure us.
Old May 7th 2003, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I totally disagree with the posters here who are slagging off NZ. I lived in Auckland for 7 years before moving to Brisbane and I found Auckland a great place to live. Agree their are doggy areas especially South Auckland but what city hasn't got them.

But when there is an international event being held their the place really rocks. I cannot imagine a city that enjoys itself so much when the Americas Cup was in town and the harbour area was full of families and kids enjoying the spectacle. This also happens when the Round the World yacht race calls in. These events went on for months and I don't remember any problems during these large public events.

Must admit I've been away for 3 years but cannot imagine it's changed that much. In fact I'll be going back to Auckland in a couple of years after checking out Australia properly.

I also think Brisbane is a safe place to live, although I wouldn't go down the Valley (the red light district) on a Friday or Saturday night, but it's fasinating during the day at weekends with the markets and buskers providing entertainment.
Old May 8th 2003, 1:30 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ???????????

it amazes me !! the ammount of people that have bad things to say about 'living in new zealand' that have never actually been there. stop talking out your a--- and go there. i think you will be pretty amazed at the differrence in standard of living compared to the u.k.
I have just comee back from Tauranga nz and seen how Firing 1 is living and i am totally jellous. if it wasnt for my commitments at home i wouldnt of bothered coming back. of course every city has its areas but there not even compareable to the u.k
happy homework hunting
Gavin
Old Jun 9th 2003, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Linda Welch is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up where to live in N.Z.

We are seriously considering moving to N.Z. My husband has an Uncle in Milton South Islands. We have been also told that Queenstown area is beautiful.We have 3 young children and want them to have a better quality of life. We need advise on good schools, universitys, museums- the good life!! Does anyone know if catholic schools are better as they are here in London ?Our kids enjoy sports and outdoor life. Any ideas ?

Last edited by Linda Welch; Jun 9th 2003 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 3:11 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in N.Z.

The closest big(gish) city to Milton and Queenstown is Dunedin. It is a regional city (perhaps can be likened to Leeds or Newcastle in the English scheme of things, although it is much smaller than those two).

Check this out.

http://www.cityofdunedin.com/cover.htm

My wife and I are moving there in a few months. Its climate is a bit better than London's and the lifestyle is very accessible to all.

If you want more info please drop us a line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.