Just Joined

Jesse82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in NSW

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan
Many points did you apply with?
We had 65 points
Old Jun 26th 2018, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jesse82
​​​​​​
Sorry for the delay. Had some pretty bad news this week. The mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with cancer and it looks like it could be terminal so our plans are definitely changing. We are still going to make the move as we know it's the best thing for our long term future, but it's all about the family in the short term.
On a cheerier note, those pics are stunning and gives a far better understanding of scale than google ever could so thank you very much for sharing.
In your experience what is the rental scene like?
Sorry to hear your bad news, things like that throw you for 6 don’t they? But as long as you validate in time, you’ve got plenty of time up your sleeve.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 6:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

​​​​​​
Sorry for the delay. Had some pretty bad news this week. The mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with cancer and it looks like it could be terminal so our plans are definitely changing. We are still going to make the move as we know it's the best thing for our long term future, but it's all about the family in the short term.
On a cheerier note, those pics are stunning and gives a far better understanding of scale than google ever could so thank you very much for sharing.
In your experience what is the rental scene like?
That's terrible, sorry to hear that. I'm hoping for the best for you.

No prob with the pics, any excuse to go up there There are some great lookouts on the way down the motorway.

With the rental scene, we spent much of our savings putting down 6 months rent on our first rental and kind of muscled our way in. If you can do that you'll get to the front of most queues, but then again with my dislike of most real estate agents, it limited my chances to swear at them haha . There are some nice places around to rent, $450 a week will get you something in pretty good nick, but not exactly palatial.

Take your own photo's of any new rental and keep them in case they try to pull a fast one at the end of lease. We got accused of vandalism and theft at the end of our last lease, and photo's made sure we got a grovelling apology, which was nice
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
That's terrible, sorry to hear that. I'm hoping for the best for you.

No prob with the pics, any excuse to go up there There are some great lookouts on the way down the motorway.

With the rental scene, we spent much of our savings putting down 6 months rent on our first rental and kind of muscled our way in. If you can do that you'll get to the front of most queues, but then again with my dislike of most real estate agents, it limited my chances to swear at them haha . There are some nice places around to rent, $450 a week will get you something in pretty good nick, but not exactly palatial.

Take your own photo's of any new rental and keep them in case they try to pull a fast one at the end of lease. We got accused of vandalism and theft at the end of our last lease, and photo's made sure we got a grovelling apology, which was nice
We haven't rented for a while now but we used to always take plenty of pics and a video of our rental, both on the day of moving in and day moving out. It still amazes me people try this kind of thing despite the fact they've had months or even years of your money.
I can't believe you had to pay for six months in advance! That seems a little excessive. Is that common practice in Newcastle?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll

Sorry to hear your bad news, things like that throw you for 6 don’t they? But as long as you validate in time, you’ve got plenty of time up your sleeve.
We have until 09/04/19 to validate the visa. Even if it means popping over for a holiday. That bad boys getting validated!!! 😀
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

We had 65 points
okay cheers, just out of curiosity, was tht including the 5 points for sponsorship as well?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan
okay cheers, just out of curiosity, was tht including the 5 points for sponsorship as well?

Yeah we got the extra 5 points as NSW government sponsored our visa application.
You thinking of applying?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah we got the extra 5 points as NSW government sponsored our visa application.
You thinking of applying?
Yuppp, right now I would have 60 points with the additonal 5 from sponsorship, but if I waited till next June I could claim another 5 for 3 years experience. So bit of a dilemma 🤔 lol
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

We haven't rented for a while now but we used to always take plenty of pics and a video of our rental, both on the day of moving in and day moving out. It still amazes me people try this kind of thing despite the fact they've had months or even years of your money.
I can't believe you had to pay for six months in advance! That seems a little excessive. Is that common practice in Newcastle?
We didn't have to, but we decided to as we could save it up again in the 6 months we weren't paying rent. We only did it to bypass the queue, the 2 week bond (guarantee) was separate to that. I don't like estate agents, not one bit haha