Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Melbourne

Where to live in Melbourne

Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:51 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Where to live in Melbourne

We have family in Frankston North and I'll be working in the CBD (this is an assumption but probably a safe one since I'm in IT).

If I want my commute to work to be no longer than, say, 45-60 minutes door-to-door but also want to be reasonable accessible to family (and beaches), where would be a great please to start looking for a place to live in Melbourne?

- CDM
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:40 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Melbourne

Originally Posted by CDM
We have family in Frankston North and I'll be working in the CBD (this is an assumption but probably a safe one since I'm in IT).

If I want my commute to work to be no longer than, say, 45-60 minutes door-to-door but also want to be reasonable accessible to family (and beaches), where would be a great please to start looking for a place to live in Melbourne?

- CDM
Ask the same question in about 5 weeks

East link opens in a fortnight and that will change alot of current commutting times. Not just in terms of accessibility to CBD but alot of commercial buildings are ready to go and companies will be relocating shortly.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

At present the commute from Westernport from Thompsons Road area down the Monash is 45 minutes with no other traffic on the road, so probably leaving before 5.30am. I use to leave at 5am and I could do it in an hour. Coming home was a different story, weekends were about an hour and also Mondays were usually quiet, however most days it was 2 hours
There are other routes open to you which may be quicker from the Frankston area and as Geelong Gent states once the East Link opens on the 29th of this month hopefully things will improve drastically
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Frankston North to CBD is 60 minutes outside peak hour (eg leaving at 6.30am for a 7.30am start).

Eastlink opens June 29th but I reckon that may cause a bottleneck at the Frankston Freeway/Eastlink junction and may even make journey times longer.

Langwarrin is a nice reasonably priced area and is close to Frankston North.

Buzzy
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:12 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

What is the East Link?

- CDM
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
What is the East Link?

- CDM
The eastlink is a new toll road that scythes through Melbourne's Eastern and South Eastern suburbs, running from Doncaster to Seaford. It merges with the Frankston Freeway at Seaford.

There is also another road proposed, the Mornington Peninsular Freeway, which will start at around the same place in Seaford and run through Frankston North, eventually connecting somewhere with the Moorooduc Highway.

Frankston North is going to be very well connected soon.

Buzzy
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

But the commute from Langwarrin to the cbd will take up to 2 hours, the new road is also a toll road so you need to cost that in with rising fuel costs, who knows where they will end. A better option could be Seaford wich is also close to Frankston North but is on the train line, takes just under an hour.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Are you sure you have to work in the City? The journey into the City gets worse all the time as more and more people use crowded roads and if you try to live closer to the City the property prices rise dramatically.

It would also help to know how close you want to be to the family in Frankston - are you going to see them every day, every week or once a year?

You can find out more about eastlink at www.eastlink.com.au - I think they propose the journey all the way from Ringwood to Frankston will take less than 30 minutes though I'm not convinced but it means any employer along this route would be good for you. The site also has some good maps which may help you.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Are you sure you have to work in the City? The journey into the City gets worse all the time as more and more people use crowded roads and if you try to live closer to the City the property prices rise dramatically.

It would also help to know how close you want to be to the family in Frankston - are you going to see them every day, every week or once a year?

You can find out more about eastlink at www.eastlink.com.au - I think they propose the journey all the way from Ringwood to Frankston will take less than 30 minutes though I'm not convinced but it means any employer along this route would be good for you. The site also has some good maps which may help you.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:32 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flip
Are you sure you have to work in the City?
Yes. All the IT job ads that I've seen are referring to the CBD as the location.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:35 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flip
I'd like to stay within 30 mniutes drive of family - who, after all, are the main reason I'm emmigrating to begin with.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:31 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I'd like to stay within 30 mniutes drive of family - who, after all, are the main reason I'm emmigrating to begin with.
I would suggest Mordialloc on bayside. It is just under half hour drive to Frankston and has a couple of decent places for a drink plus all other amenities
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know the area well but I understand it takes over an hour from Frankston to the City so if you need to be half an hour from Frankston and 45 minutes to the City it sounds like you need to be moving along the coast towards Melbourne.

Others will be able to help better - a friend of mine is keen to live in Mentone which fits you time needs.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Where to live in Melbourne

Originally Posted by papilon
But the commute from Langwarrin to the cbd will take up to 2 hours, the new road is also a toll road so you need to cost that in with rising fuel costs, who knows where they will end.
Chap who sits next to me at work commutes daily by car to CBD in 1 hour. Wongstonn who used to post on here commutes from Langwarrin to CBD via Frankston railway station, takes 1.5 hours door to door.

The new road will not help you get to the CBD as it doesn't go there.

Buzzy
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:52 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I would suggest Mordialloc on bayside. It is just under half hour drive to Frankston and has a couple of decent places for a drink plus all other amenities
I would agree... the Bayside area (Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris) and Kingston area (Mentone, Parkdale or Mordialloc) would suit you.

Hope this little map helps

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.