Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all
Default Re: where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

Originally Posted by paulf
has your episodes been aired yet? if so which family is yours?
oh crikey yes our programme is old hat now it was on BBC over yr ago ,

we have been here up on the sunny coast 2yrs last week , we were family with 2 teenage boys louis 19 yesterday he's in crete at mo & nic 22 ..
hubby was a gen manager for crash repair centre in ipswich suffolk but now in air con , ring any bells ?? oh yes & was always fishing & playing golf .

i will get to do our 2 yr update as requested by some of you very soon .
anyway good luck to all where ever you decide to live no where is perfect, is it !! ..
debs x
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:34 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread to bring out the bias in some people.
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/aboutbris...ment/local.htm is a great map of the shires.
We decided on Logan (Taneh Merah) after deciding it was the most conveneint area for us and contained the schools and actovities that we had inm mind for our children which was the singularly most important deciding factor for our housing location.
We decided on Logan and short-listed to Cornubia, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park and "old" Taneh Merah.
We used to live in a beautiful house in a scenic area back in Europe but decided that we wanted to move to a more "active" area for our chidren to experience. Plus my wife wanted to be closer to the shops and schools. We wanted a large house, on a mountin/hill with views and NOT to be overlooked when in the pool/garden or through any windows. With those parameters and a decent wedge in hand, we looked around Redlands, Logan and Brisbane (I work in S. Brisbane) and decided that Logan had the best all round facilities for our family.
Evryone is entitled to opinions and some don't lile "Logan" but there are many burbs in Logan and they are all quite different.
We believe 100% we made the right decision and this was reinforced over the weekend when my 14 year old daughter met up with a friend of hers that moved to another area outside of Logan. Her friend hates it and wants to come back. She is surprisingly frank (strange thing about Aussie kids) but says she doesnt like the school as all the girls have 20 year old boyfriends, have regular sex and she doesn't want that.
That's the problem I find with more peaceful areas where the teens have nothing to do!
Good luck with which ever area you choose.
I came here 10 times over 3 years and met many locals in all areas before I made my choice.

Andrew
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
Hmmm handy to know. Any comments on Coolangatta?

We're in Currumbin waters really nice here, 5 mins from great beach,good shops and school..... its about 10/15 mins from Coolangatta. If I can help anymore just say

Sue x
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:06 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debreeve

we have been here up on the sunny coast 2yrs last week , we were family with 2 teenage boys louis 19 yesterday he's in crete at mo & nic 22 ..
hubby was a gen manager for crash repair centre in ipswich suffolk but now in air con , ring any bells ?? oh yes & was always fishing & playing golf .

anyway good luck to all where ever you decide to live no where is perfect, is it !! ..
debs x
Hi Debs,
Just been watching you on TV here. They showed "A Place in the Sun" when you were looking around up near the Barrier Reef. The house on stilts was fab wasn't it.
So obviously you have taken part in 2 programmes, 'cos my hubby suddenly realised that you looked familiar and remembered watching a programme where you had moved to the SC. Then I remembered this thread.
Who needs to organise a meet when we can watch you on the screen eh
Hope you're still enjoying life down under.
Julie
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Which is the most sought after area /burb of Brisbane where do people aspire to live? Quite interesting when we visited Perth this year we were reading a book in the library which showed the demography of races,profession, imigrants etc. quite interesting even brits seemed to cluster in certain areas.

Most sought after areas, is difficult given the diversity and geography, of Brissy.

As Boomie said, most aspire to be near or close to WATER !!

Quite ironic, as we are yet again in a drought. lol

Often on tv , media and certainly newbies never having ventured to Australia, that come on here... their main focus is sun sea and sand.

I had no intentions or desires to be close to water, or have a view of a postage stamp sized piece of Sea from my chimney.

I love the sea, and yearn to visit it. I think its XMAS DAY syndrome, by only celebrating xmas day for the 1 day, we look forward to it all year !! iF IT WAS xmas DAY EVERY DAY, IT WOULD PERHAPS LOSE ITS APPEAL..

Not the best analogy. Anyways off to earn my $6 for the day. LOL

Steve
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:16 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hilary6
This makes good reading thanks, any specific info on beenleigh? Is it friendly/ safe and good for young teens?
Hilary
Hi there, we visited to beenleigh in June, and, after taking a look around the area, we wondered why the housing market was so cheap. I didn't particularly think it was as clean as other areas I'd visited, but it was okay. I decided to visit the police station there and asked what the crime rate was like around that area. They said that Beenleigh and Eagleby had a very high crime rate. So me personaly, am gonna give that one a miss. Sorry if this offends anyone, but am just passing on nformation on which I was told.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:29 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elksa
Hi there, we visited to beenleigh in June, and, after taking a look around the area, we wondered why the housing market was so cheap. I didn't particularly think it was as clean as other areas I'd visited, but it was okay. I decided to visit the police station there and asked what the crime rate was like around that area. They said that Beenleigh and Eagleby had a very high crime rate. So me personaly, am gonna give that one a miss. Sorry if this offends anyone, but am just passing on nformation on which I was told.

Astonished at the crime rates

What crime rates, or in particular , crimes , did they suggest??
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

And "high" compared to where???
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:37 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debreeve

debs x
I,m an old man with a terrible memory, but the missus remembers you, said something about one of the lads not being old enough to drink?
Is your husband an installer of air-con or salesman?
good to hear things are going well for you.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:13 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

They couldn't tell us what crime rates were high because they said that they don't publish crime figures for public reference like we do in the UK (In fact when we first walked in and asked the lady at the counter she just laughed because she'd never been asked a question like this before). However, the sergant who we spoke to after said that they Beenleigh police station covered both Beenleigh and Eagleby and that crime rates were high. She gave us a number for the police media centre which she said might be able to help us more. We didn't ring because it kind of put us off anyway.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi Debs,
Just been watching you on TV here. They showed "A Place in the Sun" when you were looking around up near the Barrier Reef. The house on stilts was fab wasn't it.
So obviously you have taken part in 2 programmes, 'cos my hubby suddenly realised that you looked familiar and remembered watching a programme where you had moved to the SC. Then I remembered this thread.
Who needs to organise a meet when we can watch you on the screen eh
Hope you're still enjoying life down under.
Julie
yes we were very luckily [or jammy some may say]
it was fab up north & the house on stilts was a dream but we really wanted to be down here . cant believe they are still showing that prog on TV as its so out of date with the prices . was great fun doing .
yes we still love it ,
good luck to you .
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulf
I,m an old man with a terrible memory, but the missus remembers you, said something about one of the lads not being old enough to drink?
Is your husband an installer of air-con or salesman?
good to hear things are going well for you.
yes thats us .
Kev is now doing the sales side of it. not qualified to really install [ but sometimes lend a hand ]which i dont think he would really want to do , plus he's the project manger !! organise the men & their work [i think ]
but still enjoys it .
debs
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:40 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

I promised to check with my family for those that want info on Beenleigh so here goes:

Primary Schools

Beenleigh State School
Mt Warren State School
Windaroo Valley State School
Ormeau State School
Pimpama State School
St Joseph's Primary School
Canterbury College
Rivermount College
John Paul College

High Schools

Beenleigh High School
Helensvale High
John Paul College
Trinity College
Canterbury College
Rivermount College

Shopping

All major grocery stores are in Beenleigh (Coles, Woolworths and Bi-Lo)
There are other stores there for hardware, chemists and food.
The major shopping centre is 5 minutes away up the freeway at the Logan Hyperdome. There is also a cinema here.

Restaurants

Fast food eg Pizza Hut, McDonalds in Beenleigh
Not many restaurants in town, mainly taverns. Closest restaurants are at the Hyperdome.
Not really any nightlife in the town - need to head for Brisbane or the Gold Coast (around 40 mins drive in either direction).

Doctors

Many medical centres
Ambulance depot
Closest hospital - Logan Hospital 20 mins away

Transport

Train station in centre of the town. Brisbane 50 mins. Gols Coast 40 mins.
Bus station and local buses to Hyperdome and Brisbane

Leisure facilities

Tennis courts
Swimming pool
Ten pin bowling
2 x Golf courses
Park
Theatre company
Gymnastics
Karate
Netball
Basketball
Soccer
Rugby League
Baseball
Dancing classes eg Ballet, Jazz

Loads of places to visit close by as Beenleigh is so close to the freeway which means the Brisbane, The Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast are all easily accessible.

Apparently the only downside is that there is rough areas in the nearby town of Eagleby (Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone), but then this can happen anywhere.

Hope this helps
Julie
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough

Hello

That makes for good reading, so much information to take in!

This is a slightly different question, my hubbie and I are looking into these areas in and around Brisbane We have been looking at the rainfall and it seems quite high, we wondered what it is like in reality!!!

Thanks

Donna and Mike
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:07 pm
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by Pinkyfox
Hello

That makes for good reading, so much information to take in!

This is a slightly different question, my hubbie and I are looking into these areas in and around Brisbane We have been looking at the rainfall and it seems quite high, we wondered what it is like in reality!!!

Thanks

Donna and Mike
Not sure. All I can say is that when we were there for 5 weeks in July/August last year, we only had 2 light rain showers. Result
I will try and find out though.

Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.