Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

Originally Posted by Peter
Avoid Woodridge, Kingston, Slacks Creek and Marsden, in that order, unless you like living in Yobbo Central(tm) or Fibro City(tm).

Springwood and Daisy Hill are two of the nicer 'burbs in Logan City, leafy and hilly and quite attractive places to live.

I "did" 10 years in Woodridge when I was a younger lad, so I sadly, know a bit about the joint.
Thanks Peter
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:20 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilary6
Anyone any info on Beenleigh? Or is it the same as Logan
Hilary
We have family in Mount Warren Park which is right next to Beenleigh, and we stayed there last year on holiday. In fact my cousin and his family have just moved to Beenleigh. They are very happy there. The high school used to have a bit of a bad name a few years ago apparently but it's turned itself around and everyone wants to go there now. We've had a lovely email from the principal there about getting our 3 into there. There is also a primary school which my cousins twins attend.
From what I know abut Beenleigh, there is a supermarket, and various other shops etc and a main line station into Brisbane. It's a 40 minute drive into the CBD and about a 30 minute drive to Surfers.
Another town nearby is Windaroo which has a golf course (as does Mount Warren Park).
Mount Marren Park and Windaroo are very surburban so this is possibly where we will end up as there seems to be loads of families there but it was also fairly quiet and very friendly. Property prices are very good too.
All these towns are only a 10 minute drive from the Logan Hyperdome which is a huge shopping centre/cinema complex.

If you need any more info, I'll phone my family there and ask them.

Hope this helps.

Julie
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter
Avoid Woodridge, Kingston, Slacks Creek and Marsden, in that order, unless you like living in Yobbo Central(tm) or Fibro City(tm).

Springwood and Daisy Hill are two of the nicer 'burbs in Logan City, leafy and hilly and quite attractive places to live.

I "did" 10 years in Woodridge when I was a younger lad, so I sadly, know a bit about the joint.
You forgot Loganlea (12 years for me, less for murder ).
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
We have family in Mount Warren Park which is right next to Beenleigh, and we stayed there last year on holiday. In fact my cousin and his family have just moved to Beenleigh. They are very happy there. The high school used to have a bit of a bad name a few years ago apparently but it's turned itself around and everyone wants to go there now. We've had a lovely email from the principal there about getting our 3 into there. There is also a primary school which my cousins twins attend.
From what I know abut Beenleigh, there is a supermarket, and various other shops etc and a main line station into Brisbane. It's a 40 minute drive into the CBD and about a 30 minute drive to Surfers.
Another town nearby is Windaroo which has a golf course (as does Mount Warren Park).
Mount Marren Park and Windaroo are very surburban so this is possibly where we will end up as there seems to be loads of families there but it was also fairly quiet and very friendly. Property prices are very good too.
All these towns are only a 10 minute drive from the Logan Hyperdome which is a huge shopping centre/cinema complex.

If you need any more info, I'll phone my family there and ask them.

Hope this helps.

Julie
Wow thanks Julie,

Sending karma for that one
Hilary
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:28 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You forgot Loganlea (12 years for me, less for murder ).
Yes, that place fits between Woodridge and Kingston. Forgot all about dear old Loganlea.

I notice there's a bit of "gentrification" going on there. A new suburb, no less, called Meadowbrook has sprung up where Queens Rd meets Loganlea Rd ( a former swamp!). When I went through there about a month ago, I noticed some reasonable houses and a few nice looking parks.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The A Team
I've just been speaking to Chantal Dunbar (sorry Chantal, I know you should have been cooking dinner!) author of the excellent where to live guide on the Gold Coast. She now has the Brisbane and Logan City guides available too if you're still trying to make up your minds where to live. She also does tours tailor-made to your requirements to try to stop other migrates making the same costly mistakes she made. It's obvious from talking to her that she really knows what she's talking about and has given me so much unbiased and useful information. I've certainly taken off my rose-tinted glasses!!
when we were filming "get a new life" one of our choices was Logan along with coolangatta [we chose mout creek on sunny coast ] anyway our crew had to also go film the other places we didnt pick , on getting to Logan they went to local cop shop to ask if there was anything of beauty or interest to film , they said no dont bother !!!!!!!!!!! they said what a lucky escape we had .
sorry to put dampers on but thats just what i had been told .
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:05 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debreeve
when we were filming "get a new life" one of our choices was Logan along with coolangatta [we chose mout creek on sunny coast ] anyway our crew had to also go film the other places we didnt pick , on getting to Logan they went to local cop shop to ask if there was anything of beauty or interest to film , they said no dont bother !!!!!!!!!!! they said what a lucky escape we had .

Hmmm handy to know. Any comments on Coolangatta?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The A Team
Hmmm handy to know. Any comments on Coolangatta?
sorry cant remember what they said about it . but im sure others will know .
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:56 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooohh I love reading posts like this...

Re the lady looking at Calamvale / Algester.

My kids goto school at both Algester and Calamvale community college.

Calamvale, next to Sunnybank, and pretty much a million dollar row estate now. Algester is a real nice area, wide roads, nice lowsets betwixed highsets. Good access to Nottingham Rd and Mt Lindsay Highway. The calamvale hotel does mean Sunday brekkies.

For those who like the area, but want acreage, Pallara is set to BOOM.

But proposed rail link is holding prices back, so could be good time to buy. Its proximity to Inala does have a down side.

We have many friends in Algester and Calamvale, and also Sunnybank.

My daughter has friends in Inala, obvious i suppose as she goes to Calamvale Communist College ( joke ) its a very very good school, albeit its pretty brand new.

I work, well our base is in Kingston, on Bega Rd, so kinda in the heart of Kingston.

I like Kingston, albeit some days im wondering if i really should use central locking when commuting across some of the more URBAN areas, woodridge has a long history of problems, and i must be honest in not seeing any issues, albeit there are some crumby streets.

Slacks Creek is quite nice, more hustly and bustly, and springwood thriveson its Shailer park, neighbour so is quite a good area, both brill access to the M1. Good house prices, keep both these areas, buoyant.

Beenleigh, Mt Warren Park and Bahrs Scrub, also in my view are excellent areas, albeit I would plumb if I had the money for Mt Ormeau , I think its spelt.

Lovely leafy burb, plus a huge whoppabonga Mitre 10 on its doorstep, and yattla pies just down tut rd, brill access again for the M1 corridor.

I live more towards Logan I suppose, and cant speak more highly of the area in general, albeit LOGAN is a huge borough.

We live between, Munruben and Jimboomba. So pretty much out in the sticks, but within the Logan 10 year expansion plan, which looks very very good, for house prices, coupled with the proximity to the ipswich corridor development.

We like the sleepy, semi rural atmosphere here, and clean fresh air, albeit now n then we do ge a whiff from the mushroom farm some 1.5 km away.

We do tend to miss the rain here quite a lot, so that does pose a problem, as we are on tank water, but we make do.

Anyways could harp on for hours, but I wont lol

Steve
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Calamvale, next to Sunnybank, and pretty much a million dollar row estate now. Algester is a real nice area, wide roads, nice lowsets betwixed highsets. Good access to Nottingham Rd and Mt Lindsay Highway. The calamvale hotel does mean Sunday brekkies.

But proposed rail link is holding prices back, so could be good time to buy. Its proximity to Inala does have a down side.

My daughter has friends in Inala, obvious i suppose as she goes to Calamvale Communist College ( joke ) its a very very good school, albeit its pretty brand new.

I work, well our base is in Kingston, on Bega Rd, so kinda in the heart of Kingston.

I like Kingston, albeit some days im wondering if i really should use central locking when commuting across some of the more URBAN areas, woodridge has a long history of problems, and i must be honest in not seeing any issues, albeit there are some crumby streets.

Slacks Creek is quite nice, more hustly and bustly, and springwood thriveson its Shailer park, neighbour so is quite a good area, both brill access to the M1. Good house prices, keep both these areas, buoyant.

Beenleigh, Mt Warren Park and Bahrs Scrub, also in my view are excellent areas, albeit I would plumb if I had the money for Mt Ormeau , I think its spelt.

Lovely leafy burb, plus a huge whoppabonga Mitre 10 on its doorstep, and yattla pies just down tut rd, brill access again for the M1 corridor.

I live more towards Logan I suppose, and cant speak more highly of the area in general, albeit LOGAN is a huge borough.

We live between, Munruben and Jimboomba. So pretty much out in the sticks, but within the Logan 10 year expansion plan, which looks very very good, for house prices, coupled with the proximity to the ipswich corridor development.

We like the sleepy, semi rural atmosphere here, and clean fresh air, albeit now n then we do ge a whiff from the mushroom farm some 1.5 km away.

We do tend to miss the rain here quite a lot, so that does pose a problem, as we are on tank water, but we make do.

Steve
This makes good reading thanks, any specific info on beenleigh? Is it friendly/ safe and good for young teens?
Hilary
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:39 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debreeve
has your episodes been aired yet? if so which family is yours?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:53 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

This makes good reading thanks, any specific info on beenleigh? Is it friendly/ safe and good for young teens?
Hilary
Hi Hilary,
I'll see if I can email my family in Beenleigh and get a load of info on the town.
Bear with me for a few days till I get an answer.
Julie
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:50 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hilary

Beenleigh is very nice. Im not sure what its like for teens etc...

Just so you know.

Australia, isnt really like Uk, in so far as kids playing out with their mates, its not quite as common, albeit its done. But distances tend to hamper this.

Kids tend to find sporting pursuits, and meet up with their mates this way.

The rd works, on Beenleigh road, will make the commute to kingston ( via edens landing somewhat quicker )

Theres a point, Edens Landing. Nice area, Mountain Goat driveways, but superb views towards Mt Lindsay and Beau'y
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
Which is the most sought after area /burb of Brisbane where do people aspire to live? Quite interesting when we visited Perth this year we were reading a book in the library which showed the demography of races,profession, imigrants etc. quite interesting even brits seemed to cluster in certain areas.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:38 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Beenleigh is very nice. Im not sure what its like for teens etc...

Just so you know.

Australia, isnt really like Uk, in so far as kids playing out with their mates, its not quite as common, albeit its done. But distances tend to hamper this.

Kids tend to find sporting pursuits, and meet up with their mates this way.

The rd works, on Beenleigh road, will make the commute to kingston ( via edens landing somewhat quicker )

Theres a point, Edens Landing. Nice area, Mountain Goat driveways, but superb views towards Mt Lindsay and Beau'y
We love it at bayside..... we are still renting at the momment in Thornlands.... but are building in the same suburb..... The kids love it here too..... the older ones love the fact that they are able to catch the train from Cleveland.... (which is lovely with its harbour...)and go into the city.....

Boomie
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.