Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Brisbane Area, need advice!

Wikiposts

Where to live in Brisbane Area, need advice!

Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Anamws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Brisbane Area, need advice!

Hi everyone, I need advice on areas you could recommend which are within the radius of no more than 2 hours drive from central Brisbane.

On our visit we stayed in Strathpine, Bray Park and visited surrounding areas such as Bribie Island, Redcliffe, etc. Also stayed at Lowood a small village in the countryside.

Have 2 kids age 4 and 13, and husband is a carpenter and I a teacher. Looking for a place in an area with some land but not too far away from civilisation as we have to think of schools and work, plus want to get a couple of horses.

Would appreciate any suggestions of areas so that I can research these on the internet.

Thanks.

Ana

Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Me too!

Me CAD technician, wife care assistant, 3 kids 5,7,9.

Don't want to live in The Burbs, would like an acre or two, pref nr sea, oh, and dirt cheap !
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

cazsue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ana,

We've recently moved to Jimboomba which is South of Brisbane, a little over an hours drive to the city centre, about 50 mins to the Gold Coast.

There are quite a few acreage properties, a lot of them already set up as horse properties.

Our property of 5 acres is about five minutes drive from the local school (primary) (A bit further for the high school) (School buses are provided) the local shops (Woolies, Post Office, Doctors etc is by the primary school ) and it would be about 25 mins to the nearest shopping mall and cinemas (ten pin bowling etc).

I absolutely love it here, as it is very beautiful and peaceful.

I have attached a couple of realestate sites for you to look at.

www.raywhite.realestate.com.au/jimboomba

www.apa.com.au/ljhooker/jimboomba

Happy hunting.....

Caz
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:47 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live in Brisbane Area, need advice!

Originally posted by Anamws
Hi everyone, I need advice on areas you could recommend which are within the radius of no more than 2 hours drive from central Brisbane.

On our visit we stayed in Strathpine, Bray Park and visited surrounding areas such as Bribie Island, Redcliffe, etc. Also stayed at Lowood a small village in the countryside.

Have 2 kids age 4 and 13, and husband is a carpenter and I a teacher. Looking for a place in an area with some land but not too far away from civilisation as we have to think of schools and work, plus want to get a couple of horses.

Would appreciate any suggestions of areas so that I can research these on the internet.

Thanks.

Ana

Try caboolture (morayfield area) for acreage land and a large town. It's not too far from anything.. land is reasonably priced there too compared to other parts of Brisbane. It takes well under an hour to reach the city. 40 to 45 minutes to the gateway Bridge etc, etc. My friend seems to love it there. He has bought an acreage plot , keeps chickens and things.
A place I like is in the Pine shire (strathpine is also in Pine council region) called Daybro and the areas surrounding Daybro, mountainous and lush (which is stark contrast to most of Brisbane which is flat) . There are a few places in the Pine region which are beautiful.. plenty of wildlife. Do a search on Pine Rivers, or Pine shire.. you may come up with some "holiday/touristy" sites which will show you the different areas within the region.
Redcliffe - forget it. I've spent two years in Redcliffe. there is not much land there. ..and the Hornibrook bridge is a nightmare three lanes... which change direction at certain times of the day, there is also no rail line there. The redcliffe area has a high number of wooden homes mixed in with brick. I couldn't stand the area myself. The place is also full of speed police.. they can't be bothered to catch the real crims (break and enters and such).. only catch people speeding 5 k's over the limit.

Also try the Redlands region for the South. that's a nice area. It's next to the bay has bush etc.. a nice little town. Not sure of the prices that way, but it's a lovely area.

Another bay area which is peaceful and close to Brisbane .. is Thornside (it's past manly and costs less than Manly prices too)

Two hours drive - you've got a wide area to choose from Sunshine coast, Gold coast included.

It's a big question you asked because with a two hour drive to Brisbane.. that's a huge area you've to chose from.
Rent first... look and explore the areas for yourself... it will take you months

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:55 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by cadman
Me too!

Me CAD technician, wife care assistant, 3 kids 5,7,9.

Don't want to live in The Burbs, would like an acre or two, pref nr sea, oh, and dirt cheap !
Morayfield (Caboolture) to you ... friend paid 65 thou for an acreage plot over a year ago ... today they are still cheaper than a lot of areas in Brisbane. Today plots next to him in his street are selling for around 85 thou, 95 thou, bung on a house (you can build for around 120 grand for your basic house... house and acreage land final cost around 200 thou 210 etc ... there are also cheaper plots in the area. Bribie island is about a 15 min drive away for him.. or so he tells me ,that's what it takes him to get there.

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

If your old mans a carpenter get him up to the Sunshine coast. They cant get them for love nor money. With the right paperwork he'd walk into work 7 days a week. Cheap acerage, Glenview or Landsborough, not beachy but cheap still.