Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Brisbane

Where to live in Brisbane

Old Jan 20th 2003, 8:18 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Brisbane

Applied for Pr in oct 2002. We are now trying to find out about the differant areas of Brisbane. We have 3 young children and love the out - doors. Can anybody advise of ok places to set up home or just as important places to avoid.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 1:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live in Brisbane

Originally posted by DevMountain
Applied for Pr in oct 2002. We are now trying to find out about the differant areas of Brisbane. We have 3 young children and love the out - doors. Can anybody advise of ok places to set up home or just as important places to avoid.

I would rent for the short term, look around at the areas of Brisbane and surrounds for yourself to see what suits you and your family.
I would think that one of the most important factors for choosing a suitable area would be "employment" amongst a few other things. There's no point living in an area where you can not find any employment, or you need to travel hours to get to your place of work. I chose to live in Redcliffe by the bay/ Brisbane North and within travelling distance to work (around 25 minutes to get there). If I wanted to live in any place around South east Queensland I would have gone further up to places like Hervey Bay, but it would have taken me at least 3 hrs to drive to work!. General /loose rule for Brisbane ... Bayside suburbs are more expensive, closer you get/travelling distance to the CBD the more expensive they get. Inland places like Ipswich etc are cheaper, but the weather in those places tends to be warmer in the Summer and colder in the winter than the Bayside areas.

Ask a group of people in Brisbane which are the best suburbs and you'll get different replies, it depends on the person. I would suggest Bribie Island, a place I would have bought a house on. The only thing which stopped me from buying there was it would have put another 25 minutes on my travelling time to work which is important to my type of lifestyle, I don't want to take nearly an hour everyday getting to work. . But if you like the outdoor life I suggest Bribie Island, I don't know what the schools are like there I don't have children. I don't know how much you know about Brisbane, but the Island is connected to the mainland by a road bridge (so you don't have to swim to get there ). It's pretty much self contained over there, banks, shopping centres etc, and surrounded by beaches of course being an Island. Housing is reasonably still cheap (last time I looked you could pick up a 4 bedroom brick bungalow from around $285 thou (AU) depending on the street/ and how close the street was to the water) ..

cheers
Old Jan 21st 2003, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Brisbane

Originally posted by DevMountain
Lots of old chit-chat about this sort of thing you know. Just follow the links...

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...ws2.vip.uk.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%3D10%26sa%3DN

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%3D10%26sa%3DN

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%3D20%26sa%3DN

MM
Old Jan 21st 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Consider proximity to your school of choice, place of employment, queensland rail network, bus services (examine Sunday and late night running of rail and bus), citycat, shopping centre (mall). Also consider bike routes. Toowong/Auchenflower is well served with a flat bike path to and from the city. (But remember Bike Helmets are obligatory ... even in Brisvegas' steaming humidity)

Also way up your travel time and cost to and from work.

Bribie Island is well worth a visit, but the Gold Coast is better served by the Qld Rail network.