Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Australia!

Where to live in Australia!

Old May 6th 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road
Default Where to live in Australia!

My wife and I were issued our permanent visas last week and we are planning to go out to Australia in Jan after we have tied up what seems like a thousand loose ends.

However we are now very confused about where to live.

It seams like the 2 main options are Gold Coast or Sydney but we are not sure at all.

One day I find myself saying "We'll go to the Gold Coast, definitely! better weather, commute to brissy if necessary, better house options etc" then the next day "Sydney is the place we should go, definitely! more job opportunities, city buzz etc" I even convinced myself that perth was the move for me. It seems to go round in circles.

The more we research and think about it, the more confused we get. Can anyone who may have been in the same boat help with recommendations?

Theirs my wife, my 1 yo daughter and me. I am a design engineer but would do any job if house prices were reasonable.

Thanks
Old May 6th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where to live in Australia!

Have you ever been to australia?
Old May 6th 2008, 8:48 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
My wife and I were issued our permanent visas last week and we are planning to go out to Australia in Jan after we have tied up what seems like a thousand loose ends.

It seams like the 2 main options are Gold Coast or Sydney but we are not sure at all.

One day I find myself saying "We'll go to the Gold Coast, definitely! better weather, commute to brissy if necessary, better house options etc" then the next day "Sydney is the place we should go, definitely! more job opportunities, city buzz etc" I even convinced myself that perth was the move for me. It seems to go round in circles.

The more we research and think about it, the more confused we get. Can anyone who may have been in the same boat help with recommendations?

Theirs my wife, my 1 yo daughter and me. I am a design engineer but would do any job if house prices were reasonable.

Thanks
Unless you're fully loaded concentrate on finding out about employment prospects in the areas you are considering living, etc etc... Until you sort that out everything else is just bollox...
Old May 6th 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by laguna33p
Have you ever been to australia?
Yes I lived in sydney in 2002 for 18 months after traveling east coast on working holiday visa. I loved sydney but have a family now and a bit of savings behind me.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DrWho
Unless you're fully loaded concentrate on finding out about employment prospects in the areas you are considering living, etc etc... Until you sort that out everything else is just bollox...
Totaly understand what your saying, but a good job in sydney will afford me a townhouse a 45 to 60 odd min commute from sydney or some such, where as an avarage retail type job in gold coast and I can also afford a townhouse.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I lived in sydney in 2002 for 18 months after traveling east coast on working holiday visa. I loved sydney but have a family now and a bit of savings behind me.
hi i`m probably biased as i live in the gold coast and have only visited sydney ( for a month ) for me it would be GC every time as sydney just seemed like london with heat, far too busy for me that and your brass will go a lot further on the GC

for my two pence worth i`d write a list of what you want from your new home / area and see which gets the most ticks
Old May 6th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi i`m probably biased as i live in the gold coast and have only visited sydney ( for a month ) for me it would be GC every time as sydney just seemed like london with heat, far too busy for me that and your brass will go a lot further on the GC

for my two pence worth i`d write a list of what you want from your new home / area and see which gets the most ticks
Cheers for the advise, making a list is a v good idea.

I must admit I am leaning towards the GC at the mo as I hear the unemployemnt is just 4%
Old May 6th 2008, 11:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to live in Australia!

Cheers for the advise, making a list is a v good idea.

I must admit I am leaning towards the GC at the mo as I hear the unemployemnt is just 4%
Have you considered Melbourne? Big city,lots of jobs, cheaper housing than Sydney and great beaches and countryside!

Buzzy
Old May 7th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Have you considered Melbourne? Big city,lots of jobs, cheaper housing than Sydney and great beaches and countryside!

Buzzy
I understand that weather is not as good. They say you get 4 seasons in 1 day in melbourne.

Is melbourne where you are? How do you think it compares to Sydney or Brisbane?
Old May 7th 2008, 7:46 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to live in Australia!

I understand that weather is not as good. They say you get 4 seasons in 1 day in melbourne.

Is melbourne where you are? How do you think it compares to Sydney or Brisbane?
This been discussed a lot recently.

People who live in Melbourne like me love the weather here, long hot sunny summers, sunny warm spring and Autumn and still mostly sunny cooler winter.

Melbourne is much more affordable than Sydney and has more work opportunities for most people than Brisbane.

Have a look through threads started by me for some more discussion and pictures.

Buzzy
Old May 7th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

People who live in Melbourne like me love the weather here, long hot sunny summers, sunny warm spring and Autumn and still mostly sunny cooler winter.

Melbourne is much more affordable than Sydney and has more work opportunities for most people than Brisbane.

Have a look through threads started by me for some more discussion and pictures.

Buzzy
I don't think theres much in it in terms of affordability between Sydney and Melbourne if you take into account the fact that job opportunities in Sydney are far better and wages there are higher .

You could argue forever about the weather in the two cities but i'd say generally Melbourne has better weather in Summer/ Autumn , in Sydney Winter / Spring would have the edge.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:29 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

People in Melbourne seem to be happiest in general. Where as Perth/Brisbane seem to be love it or hate it type of places.

Buzzy
Old May 7th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

Research all the areas you are interested in, if you have till January you have lots of time to look at things important to you and your family ie, jobs, lifestyle, housing etc.

We couldn't decide on Perth, Queensland or Victoria visited all three and liked them all, I think in the end it will come down to housing prices with us.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:01 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
Are you on commission Buzzy
Old May 7th 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Jackorama is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived on the gold coast for 3 years and would choose it over Sydney, but that's just me. I prefer to be away from a major city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.