Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live around Christchurch?

Where to live around Christchurch?

Old Feb 4th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I make a tentative request for tolerance of people's opinions? There has been for too long precious little information on life in NZ on this Forum (the Oz side has practically had it to themselves). Now that a few other NZ and NZ wannabee posters have joined the Forum things are livening up a little.

I actually am interested in hearing both sides of the story (Jaffa30's and Muppetking's). I remember as a newbie to this site some 12 months ago I had a vision of NZ as the answer to all my dreams, this was gained from information in glossy brochures and friends who had visited as tourists. The reality is sh*t happens in NZ just as it does elsewhere and it doesn't harm to comment on this. By the same token the wonderful aspects of the place should also be noted.

My partner has been in Chch for 3 months now. For the first two weeks he hated it, it wasn't how we had been lead to believe and he thought he would come home. Now, some 10 weeks later the place has grown on him so much that he just doesn't want to come home and we can't wait to join him - job willing!

So, come on everyone, let's continue posting our thoughts/opinions/news/ideas on here and just accept it as that, our opinion.

Lizzie (a sucker for all NZ info.)
Old Feb 4th 2003, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Lizzie, a sucker for all NZ info

My sentiments exactly, more NZ info definitely needed.

What was it your husband didn't like about Christchurch? Might be useful for the rest of us, so we can be prepared.

How's the job search going, no luck so far?

Just read in the latest edition of NZ Outlook, the newspaper for emigrants, an interview with an IT head honcho who said NZ was being held back from developing it's IT Sector because of the lack of skilled people. Sometimes wonder why they still seem to be reluctant to employ non-nz'ers if that's the case. They can't have it both ways, I should think.

sashimi
Old Feb 4th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!
many thanks again to all for the replys and also the extra questions. i feel i am really learning useful stuff this week. thanks especially to JWW. your summery of all those different suburbs will be a really big help. i am a farmers daughter from a very rural area of northern ireland (i'm sure i've caught paul counting my fingers more than once!!) so i would be used to having the space around me although i think paul dreams about it more. anyway, that general area certainly sounds like it might well be worth exploring for us when we are there. just wondering what size of town lincoln is though. does it have it's own shopping centre, leisure facilities etc or is it more villiagey than that ( that's probably not a real word )

thanks to lizzie too for your post. it's even good preparation to have it in my head that if i don't particularly think i like it the first day - not to panic and give it a bit of time! i hope your husband finds a job soon so you can get things moving. how much time has he left on his visa and what area of work is he looking in. i'm sure you have posted that somewhere else already but i've forgotten - sorry!

i'd also like to ask the same question of paula. was there anthing which surprised/disappointed you when you arrived and in those first few weeks? have any of your initial feelings about the place changed since you got there. i know even from being to different places on holidays that my mental pictures of places we go are often way out! sometimes worse sometimes better so i am trying not to visualise things too much until we go although it is impossible not to try to imagine.....

lee, thanks for your email - i'll try to reply again later but just now it's homework time!!
Old Feb 4th 2003, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sashimi

My sentiments exactly, more NZ info definitely needed.

What was it your husband didn't like about Christchurch? Might be useful for the rest of us, so we can be prepared.

How's the job search going, no luck so far?

Just read in the latest edition of NZ Outlook, the newspaper for emigrants, an interview with an IT head honcho who said NZ was being held back from developing it's IT Sector because of the lack of skilled people. Sometimes wonder why they still seem to be reluctant to employ non-nz'ers if that's the case. They can't have it both ways, I should think.

sashimi

Sashimi,
is there any way you could provide a link
to this newspaper? i tried to bring it up on google but i don't think i found the same thing!!

thanks
Old Feb 4th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sashimi is there any way you could provide a link to this newspaper

http://www.consylpublishing.co.uk/consyl.htm

click on New Zealand Outlook at the bottom of the page. It's a monthly publication and as this article was in the latest edition I don't think they would have it on the site, it's only limited what they have there anyway. Teasers only, really. If you want I can scan it and mail it to you, if nobody's gonna hit me over the head with copyright-infringement-threats.:scared:

Sashimi
Old Feb 4th 2003, 4:58 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Talking Re: NZ-Christchurch

Originally posted by muppetking
Just out of interest, what kind of lifestyle did you have in mind in Christchurch?

Oh you know not needing to work for BT for 70 hours a week away from my kids (and yes I'm the mother of the family).
Not sitting on the Bl**ding Thelwall viaduct for 40 minutes every morning I have to attend a meeting in Birmingham or Stone.

Sorry just having a moan.

I want to have a change of lifestyle not just for me but for my kids. I remember not being afraid to go out to play. Not just 'cos of nutters but less traffic on the roads. My kids won't go past the front.
Mum being home when I got home from school. I want my husband home at 5.30. I want to be able to take my kids (aged 7 and 4 and very well behaved) out for dinner in a restaurant without people looking at us as though we had aliens with us.

I know I can get this other places but I want somewhere with English traditions and a cosmopolitain flair.
I hope Christchurch/NZ doesn't fling every humans rights issue and political correctness in your face. Oh and I want to be near skiing.

After reading all the threads this answer is in response to many subjects raised too.
I think one of the most important things we need think about hear is how people adapt to change. Not just whether the place is right for you. My Dad lived in the same house for 26 years and moaned every year to move, when my mum finally gave in and he did move (only 2 miles away). He compared his new house to the old all the time. Three years later they moved again, back to the old area. My Dad still moans about it not being like his old bungalow. I think comparing to what you've had really is the notright thing to do. Once you've moved to the greener side of the grass won't the other side then be greener?

And if Christchurch isn't right for me or my family, that will be because of me not because of Christchurch and it's possible problems. And if that's the case we'll move on and put it down to experience.

End of spout

Jo

ps I do have doubts some days but who doesn't have doubts about many things in their lives............................................. ..............no then should I put the kettle on or not
Old Feb 4th 2003, 5:00 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ-Christchurch

Originally posted by JoB
Oh you know not needing to work for BT for 70 hours a week away from my kids (and yes I'm the mother of the family).
Not sitting on the Bl**ding Thelwall viaduct for 40 minutes every morning I have to attend a meeting in Birmingham or Stone.

Sorry just having a moan.

I want to have a change of lifestyle not just for me but for my kids. I remember not being afraid to go out to play. Not just 'cos of nutters but less traffic on the roads. My kids won't go past the front.
Mum being home when I got home from school. I want my husband home at 5.30. I want to be able to take my kids (aged 7 and 4 and very well behaved) out for dinner in a restaurant without people looking at us as though we had aliens with us.

I know I can get this other places but I want somewhere with English traditions and a cosmopolitain flair.
I hope Christchurch/NZ doesn't fling every humans rights issue and political correctness in your face. Oh and I want to be near skiing.

After reading all the threads this answer is in response to many subjects raised too.
I think one of the most important things we need think about hear is how people adapt to change. Not just whether the place is right for you. My Dad lived in the same house for 26 years and moaned every year to move, when my mum finally gave in and he did move (only 2 miles away). He compared his new house to the old all the time. Three years later they moved again, back to the old area. My Dad still moans about it not being like his old bungalow. I think comparing to what you've had really is the notright thing to do. Once you've moved to the greener side of the grass won't the other side then be greener?

And if Christchurch isn't right for me or my family, that will be because of me not because of Christchurch and it's possible problems. And if that's the case we'll move on and put it down to experience.

End of spout

Jo

ps I do have doubts some days but who doesn't have doubts about many things in their lives............................................. ..............no then should I put the kettle on or not

.............Oh and I forgot we want a boat
Old Feb 4th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lizzie
Can I make a tentative request for tolerance of people's opinions? There has been for too long precious little information on life in NZ on this Forum (the Oz side has practically had it to themselves). Now that a few other NZ and NZ wannabee posters have joined the Forum things are livening up a little.

I actually am interested in hearing both sides of the story (Jaffa30's and Muppetking's). I remember as a newbie to this site some 12 months ago I had a vision of NZ as the answer to all my dreams, this was gained from information in glossy brochures and friends who had visited as tourists. The reality is sh*t happens in NZ just as it does elsewhere and it doesn't harm to comment on this. By the same token the wonderful aspects of the place should also be noted.

My partner has been in Chch for 3 months now. For the first two weeks he hated it, it wasn't how we had been lead to believe and he thought he would come home. Now, some 10 weeks later the place has grown on him so much that he just doesn't want to come home and we can't wait to join him - job willing!

So, come on everyone, let's continue posting our thoughts/opinions/news/ideas on here and just accept it as that, our opinion.

Lizzie (a sucker for all NZ info.)

What do you want to know Lizzie?? Sorry can't help you with anything to do with the South Island, like many Aucklanders I've never been there!

Rule 1: South Islanders don't like Aucklanders! - Aucklanders could'nt care less.

more to come..........
Old Feb 4th 2003, 7:46 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

i'd also like to ask the same question of paula. was there anthing which surprised/disappointed you when you arrived and in those first few weeks? have any of your initial feelings about the place changed since you got there. i know even from being to different places on holidays that my mental pictures of places we go are often way out! sometimes worse sometimes better so i am trying not to visualise things too much until we go although it is impossible not to try to imagine.....

Hi,

Had a good think about this one. The friendliness off Kiwis took me by surprise a bit. I had been told about it but it took a bit of getting used to. When you go to the supermarket the cashiers say things like "hi, how are you? are you having a good day? or doing anything nice the weekend?" I know its probably only company policy, (before someone spouts "they are only keeping you sweet") but its still way different to how I used to get treated in shops in the UK. The cleanliness of the place is quite striking. Although I have to say that if you go to a very popular/tourist beach they are good but the local less popular ones seem to be very frequented by dog walkers who don't clean up after their dogs!!! Which suprised me because I've hardly seen any dog mess on the pavements!
Despite the friendliness of all the other kiwis we have met, Ian has had difficulty settling at work. He was transferred from a UK parent company and has been landed in the middle of some big time works politics. Also he is very isolated and does not get the opportunity to spend breaktimes with other staff making him feel very segregated. So that has been a bit disapointing, but we are taking steps to make changes.

School is going well so far, although it is very early days. Jack is enjoying it very much. I am watching carefully at the moment it seems they are doing a lot of 'practising of old' and not much 'learning of new'
Reading gets a lot of emphasis here and they seem quite happy to stretch him with the standard of books he has been bringing home (5 books in 6 days) Maths seems the slowest to get started but as I said its early days.

Oh and the posts between me and JWW were just a bit of fun I hope they came across that way!!!

Paula
Old Feb 5th 2003, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

paula thanks for your useful reply as usual.

just wondering from your post if you maybe find the friendliness of the kiwis a little tiresome or something. i can imagine that for me it might feel quite invasive if a complete stranger is persisting with questions about how i am feeling etc.. -i'm a bit shy me!!-

maybe it's not like that at all. also glad that jack is getting on well at school and reassuring that the books he gets are challenging enough. our three are all good readers and i would like them to be able to keep that up.

hope things improve soon for ian. i'm sure it's always hard being the new guy but i hope he will be able to think of things he can change so he's not so isolated as you say.

glad to hear that footpaths are relatively free of dog-dirt around christchurch. there is nothing that sends paul off on a rant quicker here than being out for a walk and having to tip-toe around the brown smelly stuff. especially when we were in the days of toddlers and double buggies!!

what 's the weather like these days? hope you can keep some of the sunny days for april!!
Old Feb 5th 2003, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all online,
considering the very limiting subject that jajpe first posted 'where to live around christchurch' this thread has really took off. Just recovered from 2 shocks, 1. PC threw a major wobbler, had to reinstall windows and all that goes with it, internet, email etc, and 2. the price of the tickets to NZ for July/Aug. Quoted £830! Moved the visit to one month earlier, just before school hols and £630 ish. Phew. Moved our leave days and kt gets an extra few weeks hols. Planning in earnest now. Will use info gained from here. We will fly into Christchurch, chill out, hire a car and drive to Aukland for the return flight home. We intend to book nearly everything before we go. Any thoughts? Will there be a problem if we leave some of the later room bookings till the last min. ie as we drive up?
cheers
Lee

Originally posted by jajpe
paula thanks for your useful reply as usual.

just wondering from your post if you maybe find the friendliness of the kiwis a little tiresome or something. i can imagine that for me it might feel quite invasive if a complete stranger is persisting with questions about how i am feeling etc.. -i'm a bit shy me!!-

maybe it's not like that at all. also glad that jack is getting on well at school and reassuring that the books he gets are challenging enough. our three are all good readers and i would like them to be able to keep that up.

hope things improve soon for ian. i'm sure it's always hard being the new guy but i hope he will be able to think of things he can change so he's not so isolated as you say.

glad to hear that footpaths are relatively free of dog-dirt around christchurch. there is nothing that sends paul off on a rant quicker here than being out for a walk and having to tip-toe around the brown smelly stuff. especially when we were in the days of toddlers and double buggies!!

what 's the weather like these days? hope you can keep some of the sunny days for april!!
Old Feb 5th 2003, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi lee,

just sent you an email there! about time isn't it!!

about accomodation we used a website called www.placestostay.co.nz for some of ours. seems to be quite a bit of choice on there and we booked accomodation in christchurch for about £40 /night for all 5 of us (self catering cottage type thing)

i would imagine that there would be no great rush to book for that time of year but i wouldn't know for sure. we decided to have it all booked before we go as we don't want to have to rough it in the end especially with the kids. having said that i'm a bit afraid that we will want to change our plans whilst there so i suppose it's not a bad idea to keep things flexible if you can.

i'm sure someone will be able to give you better advice or you could try the travel and rec. section of the forum - it seems quite good for holiday advice.
Old Feb 5th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

hi jajpe,

sent you an email earlier about the lack of IT skills in NZ, did you get it?

sashimi
Old Feb 5th 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sashimi
hi jajpe,

sent you an email earlier about the lack of IT skills in NZ, did you get it?

sashimi

hi sahimi,

i did get your email (many thanks) and also sent you one this morning in return. did you not get that?

i also had a chance to look at nz outlook website you provided the link to. there's a few other useful articles on there.

the IT thing is not really that relevant to me as i am a nurse, but my husband will be looking for something (perhaps in a business line ) so all information about their recruitment plans is useful.

many thanks again
Old Feb 5th 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dear Shirley,

when I looked earlier your mail wasn't there, it was right now, though. Thanks.

We're sort of stuck, we need one pt. to get a job-search-visa, mainly a thing to do with age and work experience due to a career change, my husband's. Our only chance at present is to get a job offer, otherwise no go. But we're working on it.
Maybe we're dreamers, but then, we all need something to dream about.

My cat's dreaming of chicken, better go.

sashimi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.