Reload this Page >

Where to live around Christchurch?

Where to live around Christchurch?

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:27 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Jaffa30
several other posters have told you if you don't like NZ, why don't you go back to the UK.

i thought the subtle hints would've sunk in by now............
Its finally happened...Pommie Bastard has left Perth and moved to the South Island of NZ.

By the way Jaff, I was in Wellington today....very nice actually....beautiful day, no wind, coffee by the harbour. I watched some old Italian sailing ship setting off.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

several other posters have told you if you don't like NZ, why don't you go back to the UK.

Subtlety isn't a Kiwi trait now is it? Scared I might burst the insecure bubble that is NZ?
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwi tolerance....you can't beat it!
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JWW - yes its a bit scary having 2 PBs!!!! wellington's harbour is really a magic place these days. they're developed the waterfront so much over the last 3/4 years that it's a very nice place to grab a coffee or beer.

are you staying on for the rugby sevens tournament? it starts on friday. england did well to win the brisbane sevens on the weekend.

muppetking - i won't even dignify that response with an answer.
There's nothing insecure about NZ - we are very proud of our country and rightly so. I have many Pommie friends in NZ & Aus, so I won't get started on you.......but.....you are living up to the "whinging Pom" reputation
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
'The Government admits the ministry had failed to perform even the most basic credit checks on the trust before handing over the money'. Statistics don't really mean a lot in that case do they? It's all a question of perception isn't it? If you feel it it must be true!
----

Statistics don't say much about individual cases, but they can tell you a lot about the wider picture. Specifically, the study I quoted suggests that, overall, NZ either has fewer bad apples than anywhere else (except Finland), or lets fewer of its bad apples slip through the net.

The case you mention is clearly one instance in which one (or two) bad apples were allowed to slip through the net. But that doesn't change the wider picture of a relatively corruption-free country.

Perhaps one reason for NZ's good record overall is revealed by the fact that the government is prepared to admit its mistakes in such cases rather than hiding behind excuses and coverups.

John
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:47 am
JWW
Forum Regular

Hi JWW - yes its a bit scary having 2 PBs!!!! wellington's harbour is really a magic place these days. they're developed the waterfront so much over the last 3/4 years that it's a very nice place to grab a coffee or beer.

are you staying on for the rugby sevens tournament? it starts on friday. england did well to win the brisbane sevens on the weekend.

There's nothing insecure about NZ - we are very proud of our country and rightly so. I have many Pommie friends in NZ & Aus, so I won't get started on you.......but.....you are living up to the "whinging Pom" reputation
No, I'm back in Ch'ch now. Wife tells me there was a bush fire near the zoo. See, I'm away for one night and I miss all the action!!
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

so have all the zoo animals escaped & taken over the city????

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

hi JWW,
great to have you join in too! i have been looking out for you online as paula suggested some time ago that you might have some useful info for us on the best suburbs south of christchurch. we are looking for something (preferably lifestyle) about 20 minutes out we think, and at the moment think that lincoln/prebbleton or somewhere in that region could be a possibility. someone has also recommended halswell and it seems good too.

which would you suggest if any? do you know anything about lincoln high or the local primary schools? i would really appreciate your opinion on these things - it's impossible to beat opinion from somone who is living in the area and i think paula thought you were somewhere south.

also does anyone know about the differing costs of property in the more rural suburbs. i mean to say, is it generally more expensive around the south west or is north east near the coast a bit dearer. perhaps it is impossible to generalise like that and all those rural area may have their own little expensive and cheaper pockets.

sorry about all the questions but many thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

My views are no less valid than anyone elses I suppose. At least I don't trot out the usual tourist brochure speak. Gosh, a coffee in Wellington Harbour is great.....well there's an insight! Perhaps you're suggesting that if people want to make a judgment about about where to settle in NZ they could grab the nearest copy of the Lonely Planet! This forum is about opinion is it not. I'm very pleased that you are proud of your country......does that make it immune from criticism in your eyes? Has it magically avoided all the social and economic problems that plague the rest of the developed world....or are they simply played out against a very beautiful backdrop. I don't deny NZ is a great little country but then that is irrelevant isn't it! Your over reaction seems to bear out Austin Mitchell's view that "Kiwis are basically insecure. They need your approval.......representing the outside world, you are here to give that.....Kiwis need to be assured that everything is 'world class...........in fact only the toilets are truly world class' LOL. As regards all those hordes of people who you claim have suggested I return to the UK, try speaking for yourself instead of hiding behind them. Oh and one last thing.....next time you say ' I won't dignify that response with an answer, do you think you could mean it?
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jajpe
hi JWW,
great to have you join in too! i have been looking out for you online as paula suggested some time ago that you might have some useful info for us on the best suburbs south of christchurch. we are looking for something (preferably lifestyle) about 20 minutes out we think, and at the moment think that lincoln/prebbleton or somewhere in that region could be a possibility. someone has also recommended halswell and it seems good too.

which would you suggest if any? do you know anything about lincoln high or the local primary schools? i would really appreciate your opinion on these things - it's impossible to beat opinion from somone who is living in the area and i think paula thought you were somewhere south.

also does anyone know about the differing costs of property in the more rural suburbs. i mean to say, is it generally more expensive around the south west or is north east near the coast a bit dearer. perhaps it is impossible to generalise like that and all those rural area may have their own little expensive and cheaper pockets.

Have you tried www.harcourts.co.nz ? Their website is excellent and should provide you with the info you need.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the link muppetking!

surely you should be tucked up in bed by now! maybe i've got this whole time difference thing all wrong or else i have underestimated your commitment to this forum.

either way many thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

muppetking must've been up all night thinking up his response

muppetking:
(1) I am not saying NZ is perfect. I never have & I never will.
(2) Yes you are entitled to your opinion. What I said was often you take out a tiny example & turn it into an over-generalisation about the whole of NZ. For example, "I read about a burgulary the other day, so NZ is not safe" etc etc
(3) I am not hiding behind anyone when suggesting you should return to the UK. If you don't like NZ, leave. Simple as that. There have been others posters, who I could name, who are tired of your negative, whinging attitude.
(4)Since when is what Austin Mitchell says, gospel? No NZers I know are insecure about NZ, so you're dreaming there as well!
(5) You really are a whinging Pom.
(6) My comment about having a coffee on wellington harbour was for JWW & was pleasant chat - something which you are clearly not capable of.
(7) I can give you Air New Zealand's phone number if you like.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 8:26 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jajpe
hi JWW,

Hi Shirley,

The South...

We're live in the Cashmere area which is the point where Ch'ch meets the Banks Peninsula. If you move round the hill towards Kennedy's Bush you are now in a rural setting.

Halswell is very nice and seperated from the suburbs although new housing means its creeping ever closer to the suburbs of Hoon Hay etc. If you go south down highway 75 from Halswell you are in lifestyle block country.

Ladbrooks, Broadfield and Tai Tapu are the premium area's and quite expensive, good country primary schools and in Lincoln High catchment (very good high school). The further out you go the cheaper it is and the more inbred the residents become. They are friendly and wave but don't count their fingers. Only joking.

Lincoln itself is a nice country\university town and is surrounded by lifestyle blocks. It just depends what you are after.

It is to much local amusment that the English migrants, fresh from a rerun of Darling Buds of May, come out buy a lifestyle property and then realise it takes them all weekend just to cut the lawn so sell it 6 months later. I am not suggesting you are like that but you may well find area's on the outskirts of the city, like Cashmere, Westmorland, Halswell are actually rural enough for you, without disapearing into the bush..and in the case of Halswell, also give you enough land to have a pony. Having said that I really like Tai Tapu. Prebbleton is ok, but don't buy on the Hornby side as Hornby is industrial and built up.

Our two kids go to Cashmere Primary which we are more than pleased with, excellent school in fact and are tee'd up to go to Cashmere High in a few years which also has a very good reputation.

As for the north of the city, its flat, dusty and boring...it's alright I'm just winding up Paula and Ian (Watt Dabney).

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anymore info.

Cheers.

John.
Old Feb 4th 2003, 12:00 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

As for the north of the city, its flat, dusty and boring...it's alright I'm just winding up Paula and Ian (Watt Dabney).

Flat, dusty and boring indeed

Actually it is pretty flat, we did look round the cashmere area but back in the UK we lived on top of this HUGE hill and I had a hankering for somewhere flatter. Also Ian works on the north side of town so needs must and all that. As for dusty, have you been to my house without me knowing or something . Living in the middle of a building site at the mo. Houses going up all around and I don't have a lawn yet so it very bloody dusty for now. Boring - well not much happens I suppose, but after living next to a council estate in the Uk I kinda like it that way!

Paula
Old Feb 4th 2003, 5:17 am
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Watt Dabney

Flat, dusty and boring indeed

Actually it is pretty flat, we did look round the cashmere area but back in the UK we lived on top of this HUGE hill and I had a hankering for somewhere flatter. Also Ian works on the north side of town so needs must and all that. As for dusty, have you been to my house without me knowing or something . Living in the middle of a building site at the mo. Houses going up all around and I don't have a lawn yet so it very bloody dusty for now. Boring - well not much happens I suppose, but after living next to a council estate in the Uk I kinda like it that way!

Paula
Glad you've all settled in, sounds like you're enjoying Ch'ch....and you still have the winter skiing to come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.