Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live around Christchurch?

Where to live around Christchurch?

Old Feb 1st 2003, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shirley,

I agree, it would be good if the forum could keep to its point, giving and getting advice. And as we're also heading for NZ it would be good if there was more info about NZ, I find the input from people who've already moved very helpful and enjoy reading it, keeps me going. But maybe the need for more stuff about NZ isn't there as there's so comparatively little?

sashimi
Old Feb 1st 2003, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, glad the thread isn't over, a little bit of posting as and when there's any news would suit me. We are gonig to book the tickets on Tuesday,both off, using Trailfinders. After weeks of trawling the web for 'best prices flights NZ' or similar we ordered the Trailfinders catalogue. They seem to offer the best 'no hidden surprise fees' prices, but I'll post the price we pay later. It will be just the 3 of us. The 'big' two don't want to come! They think that the house will be theres for partying, but thats been taken care of. Shame. We are keen on the self drive of the islands. Have taken on board a tip from jajpe and will start from South Island. Like the look of Christchurch, then radiate from there. Undecided on exact length of stay but have between 3 to just under 4 weeks. Not a lot I know, it will depend on the flights. Has anyone done the self drive? I think we will use the voucher scheme for the accomodation, rather know we have somewhere to stay.
Just received the post today re the Sandown event. Quick glance throug shows not as much on NZ as Aus, maybe it sells itself. Any difference between the sat or sun? Do we all wear big name badges on with proposed destination and user name?
Jajpe did you get the email? A bit rambling I know, too much of the red. Speak to you all soon
Lee

Originally posted by sashimi
Hi Shirley,

I agree, it would be good if the forum could keep to its point, giving and getting advice. And as we're also heading for NZ it would be good if there was more info about NZ, I find the input from people who've already moved very helpful and enjoy reading it, keeps me going. But maybe the need for more stuff about NZ isn't there as there's so comparatively little?

sashimi
Old Feb 1st 2003, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we did a self-drive 3 years ago spending 3 and a half weeks doing both islands. It's the best way to see the country, we had no plans or itinary, just get in the car, look at the map and go. Started in Auckland staying with friends for a couple of days, then headed to Rotorua where we stayed in a motel with it's own geothermally heated outdoor jacuzzi - a real must! By the way you soon get used to the 'pong' of Rotorua, form there we headed to Lake Taupo - beautifull scenery and a KFC that did mashed potato and gravy!
Then the long winding road to Napier, an Art Deco seaside resort that probably looked better in summer than it did in winter (we went in June). If you're into architecture then it really is a must, from there we drove to Wellington to catch the ferry. Be wary here as the car hire people won't let you take the car over to the other island, you have to pick up another one the other side! Unfortunately we didn't see Wellington as we didn't arrive to late and had to catch the early morning ferry - but it was freezing! Wellinton was the only place where we couldn't find a motel room easily, all were booked, ended up next to the prison! So book ahead.

The ferry trip is fantastic, coming into Picton is very similar to the Norwegian fjords, got the new hire car and then headed to Nelson, spent more time there than anticipated coz it was fantastic, the only place on the whole trip whre we found a curry house! Then headed to the glaciers via the west coast road, very grey and very bleak. Glaciers are well worth a trip, but as it was winter the weather was crap so we couldn't see as much as we hoped. Then headed across country via Springs Junction, another outdoor, natural jacuzzi (has to be done) ending in Kaikoura for a couple of days tasting crayfish and watching the seals who actually smell worse than Rotorua! Finally reached Christchurch where we stayed for 3 days chilling out before flying back to Auckland.

A great trip, can't remember how many miles but driving was actually fun compared to over here, saw too much to mention, fell in love with NZ now want to go back - permantly.
Old Feb 1st 2003, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

BTW is that Bournville in Birmingham?
Old Feb 1st 2003, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Cadbury's is everywhere in NZ! Don't you get sick of the smell? My wife works not far from Bourville and comes home with bags full of misshape chocolates, but it's the balti that I'll miss most!

We had no choice but to fly back from Christchurch to Auckland as we'd run out of time, but it wasn't expensive. According to Destination NZ the airlines have taken on the 'budget' approach seen over here so I expect it will be quite cheap and will save you time to see even more of the country.

Yeah we'd have loved to go back sooner but there have been places we'd wanted to see this side of the globe before we discover Fiji!!!

Later
Paul
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 9:05 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Default NZ-Christchurch

Hi,

We are going to be emigrating in about a/2 years time. Not applied yet but currently have enough points. Hubby is waiting to get additional quals first.
My hubby and I have been twice to NZ, before and after after children. There was a 10 year gap between visits but it didn't seem to have changed much. Hubby has a brother out there.
The only thing I regret is not visiting the South Island especially Christchurch. The North is beautiful, the bay of Island has special memories for me but Christchurch seems more appropropriate for the lifestyle we are looking for.
Any to get to the point I thought you may like to look at this web site, for me it gave me a little insite into the community aspect of living there.

Anyway good luck with your move Shirley keep us all posted.
Not from Brum but Wigan.

Cheers

Jo
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 9:06 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Default Ooops

Shirley

forgot to add the link

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/

Jo
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all for keeping this going!
we were away for the weekend so it was great to come back to so much more nz chat!!

lee, i did get your email and thanks very much - i will hopefully reply tomorrow if i get the chance!! life's a bit hectic here at the moment. in the meantime it's great to see that you are in the process of booking your holiday. we are booked with trailfinders too for april. just a quick point about the internal flights though. why not fly into christchurch and out of auckland to save you the bother. that's what we booked and they didn't charge any extra. we are going with singapore airlines - maybe you can't do that with all airleines -i don't know, but it might be worth enquiring about.

must go to bed now as i am shattered!! look forward to checking again in the am. and lee i promise i will reply!!
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NZ-Christchurch

Originally posted by JoB
Hi,

We are going to be emigrating in about a/2 years time. Not applied yet but currently have enough points. Hubby is waiting to get additional quals first.
My hubby and I have been twice to NZ, before and after after children. There was a 10 year gap between visits but it didn't seem to have changed much. Hubby has a brother out there.
The only thing I regret is not visiting the South Island especially Christchurch. The North is beautiful, the bay of Island has special memories for me but Christchurch seems more appropropriate for the lifestyle we are looking for.
Any to get to the point I thought you may like to look at this web site, for me it gave me a little insite into the community aspect of living there.

Anyway good luck with your move Shirley keep us all posted.
Not from Brum but Wigan.

Cheers

Jo
Just out of interest, what kind of lifestyle did you have in mind in Christchurch?
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Can't help you much, have anly had a day out to Akaroa experience of that area but as MP said roads were very small and winding, spectacular scenerey it has to be said but I wouldn't fancy commuting on them everyday but it may suit others.
As for the trust thing I have to say that I have found NZ'ers to be more trusting. From the motel where paying for use of the laundry was done on trust to when we ordered gas bottles for our house all they wanted was name & address so they knew where to deliver and send the bill. On drive out we have seen many honesty shops at the end of peoples drives.

Paula
Honesty shops exist all over Sussex and no doubt many other rural areas. Those here are generally selling horse shit!
A 235,000 dollar grant for a trust to build a kindergarten has been squandered by a fraudster says the Education Ministry for NZ. It was siphoned off by a trust employee who cashed cheques and bought a car. A second fraud case involving the same amount of cash has just been uncovered by the Sunday Star-Times.
Upon arrival in NZ we had friends robbed of all of their belongings because they turned their backs for 5 minutes.
Who are you trusting exactly?
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
Honesty shops exist all over Sussex and no doubt many other rural areas. Those here are generally selling horse shit!
A 235,000 dollar grant for a trust to build a kindergarten has been squandered by a fraudster says the Education Ministry for NZ. It was siphoned off by a trust employee who cashed cheques and bought a car. A second fraud case involving the same amount of cash has just been uncovered by the Sunday Star-Times.
Upon arrival in NZ we had friends robbed of all of their belongings because they turned their backs for 5 minutes.
-----

Of course there are bad apples in every country, but to back up the view of NZ as "honest", it has just been ranked second behind Finland for absence of corruption:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2237817a13,00.html

Cheers,
John
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jseni01d
Originally posted by muppetking
-----

Of course there are bad apples in every country, but to back up the view of NZ as "honest", it has just been ranked second behind Finland for absence of corruption:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2237817a13,00.html

Cheers,
John
'The Government admits the ministry had failed to perform even the most basic credit checks on the trust before handing over the money'. Statistics don't really mean a lot in that case do they? It's all a question of perception isn't it? If you feel it it must be true!
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

muppetking, i have one word for you.........

CHILL !!!

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jaffa30
muppetking, i have one word for you.........

CHILL !!!

When I want your opinion I'll give it to you! Mine's a Heineken ....cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

several other posters have told you if you don't like NZ, why don't you go back to the UK.

i thought the subtle hints would've sunk in by now............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.