Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live around Christchurch?

Where to live around Christchurch?

Old Jan 28th 2003, 8:56 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jajpe
Don't feel too bad Alan i appreciate your help - and everyone elses too!

Also i have a question for Muppetking although I'm almost scared to ask, but i would really appreciate your objective opinion on high schools around Christchurch. before you start i know that you believe the education sytem to be much inferior in general to that of the U.K but if you had to choose are there any high schools either public or private preferably public) whose reputations stand above others.

we realise that at the ages our kids are at (10,9 and 7) we really need to be thinking in terms of the next school stage when choosing where to settle, so that we are well placed for secondary education. we had liked the look of some houses around the Lincoln area but then then the Lincoln high school website is not so detailed as some of the others and wondered if you could offer an opinion from what you have learnt there. it's o'k, i've braced myself for whatever's coming!!!

many thanks

Although I do not have an opinon/or direct knowledge of high schools in Chch, I do know that 3 of the most popular are Burnside, Chch Boys and Chch Girls. I have been given the impression these are highly rated and places sought after.

Paula
Old Jan 29th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Don't feel too bad Alan i appreciate your help - and everyone elses too!

Also i have a question for Muppetking although I'm almost scared to ask, but i would really appreciate your objective opinion on high schools around Christchurch. before you start i know that you believe the education sytem to be much inferior in general to that of the U.K but if you had to choose are there any high schools either public or private preferably public) whose reputations stand above others.

we realise that at the ages our kids are at (10,9 and 7) we really need to be thinking in terms of the next school stage when choosing where to settle, so that we are well placed for secondary education. we had liked the look of some houses around the Lincoln area but then then the Lincoln high school website is not so detailed as some of the others and wondered if you could offer an opinion from what you have learnt there. it's o'k, i've braced myself for whatever's coming!!!

many thanks
I don't remember saying 'much' inferior but I take your point! Some people on this website seem to be in a 'honeymoon period' and don't like to hear anything that is slightly negative! We've been here longer than two months though. So much for free speech. As regards High Schools there are several very good ones to the best of my knowledge. It depends where you live as to whether you are in the correct zone. For instance the following schools have an excellent reputation; Burnside;Riccarton;Girls High (one of THE best);Villa Maria and Cashmere. If you wish to pay then Selwyn House is outstanding (Girls' School), St Andrews' ( though our friends who sent their son were very unhappy about his progress......he is very clever but they weren't stretching him and didn't see the problem!), St Margaret's Girls, Cathedral Grammar (THE School!) or Rangi Ruru (girls). There is a tremendous amount of snobbery in Christchurch, particularly about the schol you went to. It has often been said to me by Kiwis that in Auckland it's how much money you earn, in Wellington it's what job you do and in Christchurch it's what school you went to! I can only vouch for the latter. Good luck on your search.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Originally posted by muppetking
MMMMMM. Did you ask the petrol station workers whether they were happy?
The driving is not as bad? Even Cantabrians are happy to admit they Christchurch drivers are the worst in NZ.
Some of the roads in Christchurch, local roads that is, not Highways, are appalling.

My husband has ridden motorcyles all his adult life all over the UK (despatch rider in his youth) and is now riding in NZ he says NZ roads/drivers are much better than the UK, some of the minor roads are not sealed but overall they are better, less potholes. The driving standard we have found to be fine, they are possibly less courteous (ie letting you in/out) but with the volume of traffic being so considerably less than the UK it really not neccessary.

You pay for every single EFTPOS transaction!!

We don't, negotiate a better deal with your bank.

The left turn rule means that you end up looking 3 ways instead of 2...VERY effective!

Unless you have neck problems I do not see why this shoud be an issue!

Paula
I fail to see how a motorcyclist, for whom the usual rules never seem to apply, is in a position to judge driving.
Not necessary to be courteous! Well that's OK then!
The left turn rule is an anathema to most drivers here anyway but you'd know that having been here so long.
I'm glad the bank is your friend. What's your secret?
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks paula and muppetking for the useful advice!

interesting that you mention cashmere high muppetking. i spent a wee while hoking about on websites last night and i have to say their's looked very appealing-more personable maybe than some of the others.

can i just ask if you know anything at all about lincoln high. as i mentioned last night, some of the houses we have liked are in that area but there would be no point in looking at them if the local high is not an option for the kids.

also paula, what are the options where you live. i have a feeling you listed your local schools in another post but now that i am in this reply bit i don't want to lose it to go back and check. we are definately interested in being a little out of the city so far but of course that could all change when we are there.

even the city we like could change for dear's sake!!!

anyway all this info is great!

many thanks
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live around Christchurch?

Hi,
noticed you were online. Big developements in the sully household. After 12 months of talking, reading, talking, planning and reading again for our fact finding trip to Aus....We've decided to go to NZ! We are planning to go out during the same holiday period, july/aug. The best deal we have seen so far, that we all like, still only 3 of us, the other two will probably go to Spain!, is the self drive of the two islands. What are you doing? I certainly fancy the south island, jayne doesn't care too much as long as we go. She will be looking for a nursing job, on the quiet of course, anyone want two books on Aus?

Just looking for suggestions re. good areas for housing about 20 mins to 1/2 an hour out of Christchurch. we like the idea of all the facilities of the city but we have never been city people and would prefer a lifestyle property with a bit of space but not too far out.

we will be on holiday there in april and would like to have a look at some potential areas to live, so it would help a lot to narrow it down with some suggestions if people could tell us good/bad areas etc.

we would also appeciate suggestions for the must sees/don't bothers in the south island for when we are there on holiday. we will have about 10 days in christchurch but plan to tour the surrounding areas as well.

thanks for your help in advance
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hi there,

thank you for getting in touch. it's always useful to feel we are not the only ones!!

firstly can i ask you what changed your mind. we have never really considered but our best friends are keeping an open mind to both. of course i want them to eventually choose nz but don't tell them that!!!!

anyway our plans are to fly into christchurch and spend 10 days in self catering accomodation there. we are hiring a car and plan to explore as far as we can out and around the general area, although most time i think will be in christchurch itself as that ,we think, is our first choice of where to settle. we will need as much time as poss for Q.T. job hunting and also trying to suss out schools, housing area etc.

after that we plan to take the train to picton and accross to wellington for three nights. then two nights at lake taupo and ending with three nights at auckland. we plan to hire a car in the north island too and hope that we have given ourselves long enough just to give us a flavour of the other main cities-maybe we will come home and have changed our mind about christchurch.

have you any idea yet of where might appeal to you in nz?

just a little tip by the way that we got from folk we know who went fact-finding to nz before christmas. they left the area where they thought they would like to settle to the last week of their holiday. they spent the first three weeks touring and enjoying their holiday but not really looking at the places as potential for somewhere to live. then they went to their final destination and neither of them liked it at all and could never see themselves living there. by then it was too late to start looking for alternatives and they are now thinking they maybe need to go again before any final decision can be made. -very expensive obviously and maybe as they suggested it is best to see the most likely place first then you will know after that if you feel the need to look further.

i've just read all that over and it's not easy too understand what i mean - sorry about that. i know what i mean if that is any help!!!

where is jayne working at the moment - has she many years experience and has she made any contacts / found out much info so far. sorry about all the questions but it would be really useful for me to know how she is going about all this. i had made contact initially with eden brown agency but recently i have been making contacts with the hospitals on my own and get the impression that hospitals, particularly in the south island, maybe prefer this.

sorry about the long post but i'll look forward to your reply
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Sorry about this reply, I've just spent 10 mins typing and with one press of my mouse it disappeared! I will print off your reply and give a proper response later if thats alright. Have to do some work(house) now!I'm off today, Jaynes on a late. Will probably be back on here after 8pm or so. Speak to you soon
Lee

hi there,

thank you for getting in touch. it's always useful to feel we are not the only ones!!

firstly can i ask you what changed your mind. we have never really considered but our best friends are keeping an open mind to both. of course i want them to eventually choose nz but don't tell them that!!!!

anyway our plans are to fly into christchurch and spend 10 days in self catering accomodation there. we are hiring a car and plan to explore as far as we can out and around the general area, although most time i think will be in christchurch itself as that ,we think, is our first choice of where to settle. we will need as much time as poss for Q.T. job hunting and also trying to suss out schools, housing area etc.

after that we plan to take the train to picton and accross to wellington for three nights. then two nights at lake taupo and ending with three nights at auckland. we plan to hire a car in the north island too and hope that we have given ourselves long enough just to give us a flavour of the other main cities-maybe we will come home and have changed our mind about christchurch.

have you any idea yet of where might appeal to you in nz?

just a little tip by the way that we got from folk we know who went fact-finding to nz before christmas. they left the area where they thought they would like to settle to the last week of their holiday. they spent the first three weeks touring and enjoying their holiday but not really looking at the places as potential for somewhere to live. then they went to their final destination and neither of them liked it at all and could never see themselves living there. by then it was too late to start looking for alternatives and they are now thinking they maybe need to go again before any final decision can be made. -very expensive obviously and maybe as they suggested it is best to see the most likely place first then you will know after that if you feel the need to look further.

i've just read all that over and it's not easy too understand what i mean - sorry about that. i know what i mean if that is any help!!!

where is jayne working at the moment - has she many years experience and has she made any contacts / found out much info so far. sorry about all the questions but it would be really useful for me to know how she is going about all this. i had made contact initially with eden brown agency but recently i have been making contacts with the hospitals on my own and get the impression that hospitals, particularly in the south island, maybe prefer this.

sorry about the long post but i'll look forward to your reply
Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:48 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by muppetking
I fail to see how a motorcyclist, for whom the usual rules never seem to apply, is in a position to judge driving.

Only someone who has never ridden a motorcycle could make such a crass statement. Let me explain it for you. When a vehicle is driven badly the effects for car drivers start with things like bent panels and scratched paint work. The effects for motorcyclists start with broken/lost limbs and death. We have lost friends and seen families devestated due to the quality of other peoples driving. My husband puts his life in the hands of other road users everyday I think he is in a perfect position to judge.

Its not about being either polite or rude it about practical driving. In the UK if someone did not let me out of the end of our road I would be there for 20 mins. Here I don't think I've been at a junction for more than a few mins.

The left turn rule is an anathema to most drivers here anyway but you'd know that having been here so long.

The point I was trying to make was that although the left turn rule can be a pain in the ass is it really that big a deal? As for not being here long enough and other comments regarding honeymoon period. True we have not been here long but that does not mean my or other peoples opinions do not count( free speach and all that), I always make it quite clear that my experience is limited when I respond. As for honeymoon period, I wish!!!! We landed midday on the Thurs and my husband started work at 6.00am on the Mon and has been doing 50+ hour weeks since with a grand total of 4 days off over xmas & new year. We had no family or friends to come to. We may have only been here a short time but we are already experiencing the reality of living in NZ work to do, mortgage to pay etc. So I think we can safely say we are not in the honeymoon period.

I have no objection to someone highlighting the negative points, I think your response about high schools was very informative and useful. This is not paradise and as time goes on I will have many more experiences both good and bad and I will post them all on this group. I think people want a balance view not just the good or just the bad. I am certainly open to hearing both, especially on the bigger issues.

Paula
Old Jan 29th 2003, 5:00 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

also paula, what are the options where you live. i have a feeling you listed your local schools in another post but now that i am in this reply bit i don't want to lose it to go back and check. we are definately interested in being a little out of the city so far but of course that could all change when we are there.

Hi,

Again I have had no personal contact with Kaiapoi High School and can only go on what I've been told. Apparently its pretty crap! The primary school my kids are going to seems very nice. We will have to look at our options when it comes to high school though but that is a long way off as my eldest is only just 7. One possible option could be to rent in the city within the zone for a good school and then move further out later. Obviously you would have to check out a schools enrolement policy but its food for thought.
My son loves school so far, swimming 4 days a week so he's pleased! hope to have a chat to the teacher in a few weeks so I will know more then. My little girl is having her 1st visit today and I am staying with her so I should see the school from 'the inside' a little.

Paula
Old Jan 29th 2003, 8:14 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

I also think its good to get the good & bad points over, no point in wearing rose "coloured spectacles" all the time. God I hate that statement, not cos of what it means, just grates me!

I wont bother saying much about the motocyclist issue, I've calmed down now, as I'm a two wheeler also, yes I've been the victim of bad driving! But I don't want to wind MK up!
I consider motorcyclists (the majority) very good road users & even better car drivers!!!! Ha! (I'm an instructor, so I must be perfect!!)

Nelson.....went there for 4 days.....very nice! The Abel Tasman NP is beautiful, we are thinking of going back to live in the Nelson region initially, see how we get on. Will let you know if we do.

See yall, good luck, be happy!

:PARTY:
Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Watt Dabney

Only someone who has never ridden a motorcycle could make such a crass statement. Let me explain it for you. When a vehicle is driven badly the effects for car drivers start with things like bent panels and scratched paint work. The effects for motorcyclists start with broken/lost limbs and death. We have lost friends and seen families devestated due to the quality of other peoples driving. My husband puts his life in the hands of other road users everyday I think he is in a perfect position to judge.

Its not about being either polite or rude it about practical driving. In the UK if someone did not let me out of the end of our road I would be there for 20 mins. Here I don't think I've been at a junction for more than a few mins.

The point I was trying to make was that although the left turn rule can be a pain in the ass is it really that big a deal? As for not being here long enough and other comments regarding honeymoon period. True we have not been here long but that does not mean my or other peoples opinions do not count( free speach and all that), I always make it quite clear that my experience is limited when I respond. As for honeymoon period, I wish!!!! We landed midday on the Thurs and my husband started work at 6.00am on the Mon and has been doing 50+ hour weeks since with a grand total of 4 days off over xmas & new year. We had no family or friends to come to. We may have only been here a short time but we are already experiencing the reality of living in NZ work to do, mortgage to pay etc. So I think we can safely say we are not in the honeymoon period.

I have no objection to someone highlighting the negative points, I think your response about high schools was very informative and useful. This is not paradise and as time goes on I will have many more experiences both good and bad and I will post them all on this group. I think people want a balance view not just the good or just the bad. I am certainly open to hearing both, especially on the bigger issues.

Paula
Excellent post Paula, no arguments from me!
Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

What a shame, did this thread run its course? pity ! So nice to have genuine information without the spoilers>

Excellent post Paula, no arguments from me!
Old Jan 31st 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

just one last question 0r two? ( if this thread HAS run it's course than just ignore me) - i would hate to be boring you all but i do think we need to keep up the interest in nz!! those whinging ozzies are in danger of taking over this forum altogether!!

anyway i'm still trying to weigh up the old housing/schools thing and wonder if anyone knows anything about living in the bays area below christchurch. it seems to look nice all around governors bay, diamond harbour etc. and paul has even fancied a few places on the banks peninsula esp. little river. how impractical would this be though? what would approx travel times into city centre be etc? do any of thoses roads close in bad weather?

also while i'm on i read somewhere that doctors are on strike today in timaru hospital. does this happen often? i heard before of nurses also striking for pay in nz somewhere. i know this would be very drastic action here at home - do folks there just put up with it - support the action even?

another thing we were talking about last night. nz folks tend to be very trusting from what we experienced so far. we have booked a couple of rooms for the night etc. online but when i have enquired as to how i should pay deposits etc. was told they never take deposits - they run their business on trust. can't see folks like that surviving here. is nz very different in that rspect or have i just been very lucky!

o.k. so i'm rambling now! how sad am i? -this being friday night an' all!

any way let's try and keep up the useful chat- either way i've learnt a lot so far - thanks
Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

just one last question 0r two? ( if this thread HAS run it's course than just ignore me) - i would hate to be boring you all but i do think we need to keep up the interest in nz!! those whinging ozzies are in danger of taking over this forum altogether!!

anyway i'm still trying to weigh up the old housing/schools thing and wonder if anyone knows anything about living in the bays area below christchurch. it seems to look nice all around governors bay, diamond harbour etc. and paul has even fancied a few places on the banks peninsula esp. little river. how impractical would this be though? what would approx travel times into city centre be etc? do any of thoses roads close in bad weather?

also while i'm on i read somewhere that doctors are on strike today in timaru hospital. does this happen often? i heard before of nurses also striking for pay in nz somewhere. i know this would be very drastic action here at home - do folks there just put up with it - support the action even?

another thing we were talking about last night. nz folks tend to be very trusting from what we experienced so far. we have booked a couple of rooms for the night etc. online but when i have enquired as to how i should pay deposits etc. was told they never take deposits - they run their business on trust. can't see folks like that surviving here. is nz very different in that rspect or have i just been very lucky!

any way let's try and keep up the useful chat- either way i've learnt a lot so far - thanks
The Banks Peninsula is lovely and their are many more bays you didn't mention. At weekends it is busy (if there is such a thing in Christchurch.......oh yes, the American style Malls are always full) with people driving over the hills to their baches (holiday homes, or picnicers etc. I know nothing about the schools in those areas so can't comment. Travel times, depending on how far around the bay you wish to live can vary from 30mins to an hour or more. Bear in mind that the roads are small and windy, up and down, and are used by all the other bay dwellers that commute. Yes they are affected by the weather, probably more so than the rest of Christchurch which is built on a swamp. As regards strikes, it is no worse or better here than the UK. Public sector workers get paid comparatively little here. As regards trusting people the same thing applies. There are good and bad Kiwis! Tourism is the next biggest earner in NZ so people in that industry have a vested interest in keeping you sweet! To give you a flavour of Christchurch why not try the local papers website thepress.co.nz ? Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2003, 12:33 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Can't help you much, have anly had a day out to Akaroa experience of that area but as MP said roads were very small and winding, spectacular scenerey it has to be said but I wouldn't fancy commuting on them everyday but it may suit others.
As for the trust thing I have to say that I have found NZ'ers to be more trusting. From the motel where paying for use of the laundry was done on trust to when we ordered gas bottles for our house all they wanted was name & address so they knew where to deliver and send the bill. On drive out we have seen many honesty shops at the end of peoples drives.

Paula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.