Where to go.

Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:53 pm
doncaster....to....perth

midds will become famous soon enough
Default Where to go.

Hi all

My O/H as been looking at moving to Perth or Brisbane and working for the company he works for now in the uk, or working at the mines but dont want to do FIFO so would need to probably live in Newcastle, which is my top choice at minute, although Ive heard there is nothing there.

I dont want to go on so was wondering if people can give me ideas on what it is like to live in these places, also if schools are good, places to go on a night. etc etc.

Many thanks in advance

Amanda
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:49 am
Just Joined

mullers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to go.

Hiya, FIFO isn't always the case for the mines in WA, firms are tending to try and build communities up again so families live in the towns. there are some great places in the North West on the coast.We worked in Wickham near Karratha for a year and loved it,...Kalgoolie 6hrs east of perth is expanding all the time..,
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:32 am
doncaster....to....perth

yes but im greedy and want to be near the coast as well.

Surely someone can give me some ideas on Brisbane and newcastle?

amanda
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:49 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Brisbane isn't exactly near the coast and you'd have to go a fair distance to find a swimming beach, but given a choice between Brisbane and Perth I'd choose the former but simply because it's not as remote.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:59 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midds
Hi all

My O/H as been looking at moving to Perth or Brisbane and working for the company he works for now in the uk, or working at the mines but dont want to do FIFO so would need to probably live in Newcastle, which is my top choice at minute, although Ive heard there is nothing there.

Most musicians and artists per head of any Oz city, incredible number of gorgeous beaches including ones right in the city, fabulous university, 2 hrs from Sydney, dripping in Victorian architecture, more bush than you can shake a stick at, much better climate than either Perth or Brisbane offer. Fabulous choice of suburbs from bush ones to beach ones to inner city and everything in between.

amanda
Ditch Brisbane and head for Newcastle- I've spent a few months in Brissy but only a week in Newcastle (although my mum lives there) and know where I'd be heading!

We had a gorgeous holiday in Newcastle- the beaches there were honestly, hand on heart, far more beautiful than the built up strips accessible from Brisbane.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:37 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

amanda
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...-Brisbane.html

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Newcastle.html

two birds one post
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I dont want to go on so was wondering if people can give me ideas on what it is like to live in these places, also if schools are good, places to go on a night. etc etc.

Many thanks in advance

Amanda
What does your husband do? I am a geologist going to work in the mining industry. I wasnt too keen on FIFO, but then when i worked out my rosta i get 22 weeks off a year. You may struggle not to do FIFO and live near a beach in Oz while working at a mine, including Newcastle. There are lots of towns close to mines such as Broken Hill and Olympic Dam, but there a long way from a beach.
If you were to reconsider FIFO, you might be better to consider Perth, as the majority of resource companies are based there
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:48 pm
doncaster....to....perth

Originally Posted by verystormy
What does your husband do? I am a geologist going to work in the mining industry. I wasnt too keen on FIFO, but then when i worked out my rosta i get 22 weeks off a year. You may struggle not to do FIFO and live near a beach in Oz while working at a mine, including Newcastle. There are lots of towns close to mines such as Broken Hill and Olympic Dam, but there a long way from a beach.
If you were to reconsider FIFO, you might be better to consider Perth, as the majority of resource companies are based there

My O/H is a diesel fitter, didnt really want a FIFO at the beginning due to it being hard enough settling in a new country with no family or friends. But i dnt want to be too far from the beach either, looks like we will have to look at other options. Perth was his favourite so looks like he's won

Thanks for all your help guys
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

starsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to all

Perth is definitely the place if he is interested in resources companies. There are pluses and minuses to Perth. On the plus side, great weather, fantastic beaches, beautiful parks, outdoor areas, not much traffic, relaxed atmosphere. On the negative side, it can be quiet and boring, public transport is not great, it is pretty sprawled and retail trading hours are about 20 years behind the rest of the world.

For kids though, it's a great place.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:08 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Ive heard that now Keegans there Newcastle is gonna get better?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:58 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by starsun
Perth is definitely the place if he is interested in resources companies. There are pluses and minuses to Perth. On the plus side, great weather, fantastic beaches, beautiful parks, outdoor areas, not much traffic, relaxed atmosphere. On the negative side, it can be quiet and boring, public transport is not great, it is pretty sprawled and retail trading hours are about 20 years behind the rest of the world.

For kids though, it's a great place.
Hmmm.....that sounds like somewhere else I know of.......
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
Ive heard that now Keegans there Newcastle is gonna get better?